EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Best route to get high performance from my Evo

Old 03-25-2015, 10:45 PM
Headcockedsideways
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best route to get high performance from my Evo

I have been considering doing some work on my Road King ('97 Evo with carb). The indy that I trust is telling me he recommends high performance heads, valves, springs and cam. New jets for the carb. (around $2200-2500)

What do you guys think of this advice?

UPDATE:...OK, I decided to go with Indy's advice, got him to install S&S high performance heads, valves, springs and S&S 515 cam. Some work on the carb, rejet, etc.

I must say, I am majorly impressed. Really turned on the old Evo...lol!

Next winter, I wanna do the bottom end of the engine to increase the compression, etc.

Last edited by Headcockedsideways; 05-01-2015 at 11:03 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:01 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Grab a pen & paper and make a wish list - cams, head work, big bore, stroker crank, etc.

Price it all out and then look for a crate motor with about the same specs.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:27 AM
Headcockedsideways
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Next In Line
Grab a pen & paper and make a wish list - cams, head work, big bore, stroker crank, etc.

Price it all out and then look for a crate motor with about the same specs.
Yeah, I have wondered if I wouldn't be better off to buy a new hotrod motor. I guess in my mind around $2500 was going to be my maximum amount to spend on the project. Otherwise I would go for the $4500 motor.

Thanks

Old 03-26-2015, 12:13 PM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

After all the engine work I did on mine, it would have been a lot cheaper to drop a 120" crate motor. Unfortunately at the time, there wasn't one made for Twin Cam B motors.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:27 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,109 Likes on 6,201 Posts

Free flowing air cleaner, good tuned exhaust system (not wide open drag pipes), rejet the carb, and a bolt in cam such as EV13 or EV27. Top it off with a dynatek ignition and call it a day. Those few items will make a world of difference without breaking the bank.

Before doing that, do a compression test. If the numbers are low it if there is a big difference between the two cylinders, pull the jugs, bore or hone as needed, fresh set of appropriate rings, mill the heads slightly to get their volumes as close as possible to each other, then reassemble while trying different gasket thicknesses on the jugs and heads and proceed with the mods in the first paragraph.

You would be surprised at what an 80" Evo is capable of with a little massage here and there. The improvements will be greater than what the dyno will indicate in terms of ridability and joy to ride.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:12 PM
Roadflyer
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Headcockedsideways
I have been considering doing some work on my Road King ('97 Evo with carb). The indy that I trust is telling me he recommends high performance heads, valves, springs and cam. New jets for the carb. (around $2200-2500)

What do you guys think of this advice?

Jeff

A buddy of mine has a 1996 Heritage with Mild head porting, 9.75-1 pistons, stock springs, ev-27 cam, crane ignition and a Mikuni hsr 42 carb (the mikuni did as much as anything else). Compared to stock his bike screams and gets about 47 mpg @ 60 mph. ( he also has a 6 speed)

That bike pisses me off. I have a 05 Road king with 95", se heads and 203 cams and from a rolling start I can't pull more than 1/2 a wheel ahead of him until after 70 mph.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:32 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
Free flowing air cleaner, good tuned exhaust system (not wide open drag pipes), rejet the carb, and a bolt in cam such as EV13 or EV27. Top it off with a dynatek ignition and call it a day. Those few items will make a world of difference without breaking the bank.
This is your best bet, unless you really want to join some of us on the slippery slope of the chase for even more EVO HP. If the above isn't enough for you, we'd be glad to help you spend your money.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:39 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
This is the best advice you can ask for.

If you really want to get the motor running then $2.5 k is a little light if you are having an indy do it.

Better off just getting an entire engine.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:47 PM
SeaZund
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with what Prot recommended. and BTW, 2K$ won't get you much.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:49 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Drop a S$S 124 sidewinder in there!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best route to get high performance from my Evo