EVO All Evo Model Discussion

X-post from Customs

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 09:20 AM
inkdnkinkd
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-post from Customs

I figured I would post this here too because I'm trying to use a Evo engine and transmission on this build.. so here's the original post:

I'm sure this is going to **** off some people here

So, as you can tell by my one post, I'm new to the forums.

Brief description, grew up working with my hands, got a office like job in the Navy. Feel the need to create and build stuff. Right now I ride a 09 Sporty 883 .. say what you want, but I love the little bastard. I want to start a build. I've worked on cars before and I have good friends that are willing to fill in the gaps on what I don't know when it comes to bike building.

However, I need the vast knowledge of the forums here to really get some input on the design aspects. Let's pretend money isn't an issue (it is, but if the bike(s) take three years to build they do) I'm looking to do a vintage bobber style Harley. It's been done 1000 times before so that's not really that hard. Basically an internet search and doing some research. The hard one is this:

I've been following the guys at www.classifiedmotos.com for a while and love their work. The functional and outside the box thinking always interested me. I'm not a street bike fan so this might sound contradicting. I'm looking to do a cafe racer or cafe-esque frame with a modern street bike front end, and a single sided swing arm tucked in the back. I want that to be powered by a Evo era power plant. I found an image of something "close" to what I want to do on google (see link at the end) but it's not quite the look. A little too cafe racer for me. What would be a frame in the style that I'm hoping to go for that'll be sturdy enough and big enough to house the engine and trans? From what I could tell, I would go with a Norton Featherbed or the XR1200 frame. Both of which aren't the easiest to come by so maybe there's one that I'm missing?

See the links below for my inspiration.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/mwbiFBxUU3I/hqdefault.jpg
http://www.classifiedmoto.com/motorc...ghthawk-dubai/

Sorry if the links don't link.. still figuring out the posting guidelines.

These are the inspirations behind what I'm trying to do.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:05 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,201 Likes on 5,397 Posts

Originally Posted by inkdnkinkd
What would be a frame in the style that I'm hoping to go for that'll be sturdy enough and big enough to house the engine and trans? From what I could tell, I would go with a Norton Featherbed or the XR1200 frame. Both of which aren't the easiest to come by so maybe there's one that I'm missing?

See the links below for my inspiration.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/mwbiFBxUU3I/hqdefault.jpg
The bike in your link appers to have a softail frame with a single-sided swingarm...both are easy to come by...sounds like a fun project

Old 03-29-2015, 07:43 AM
inkdnkinkd
Novice

I just wonder how he managed to get the top of it to be flat and not have that Harley angle to it.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:50 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by inkdnkinkd
I'm sure this is going to **** off some people here
Not going to **** me off. It's not my style but: It's your money, your bike, your time, and your hide.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:55 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,706 Likes on 1,343 Posts

I don't think anyone here would get pissed off on any bike build. That's not how we roll 'round here. Build what you want. We don't 'dis' Sportsters either. I think you've been hangin' out in the wrong places.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:44 AM
Owtlaw
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

If you were to cut up a cherry FXRD, you might disappoint a few folks..... Pissed? Nah.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:31 AM
D_gyver
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the style you want has been done a lot. around here we call them "vintage street fighter"
the last one I built I used a 95 softail frame a 74 shovel head a 87 gsxr 750 front end and a 99 Honda vfr 800 rear single sided swingarm and the tank was off a 76 Honda cb750 it took me a year to finish it.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:06 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Here's a German one - with a li'l S&S 145" to spice it up! As Lynyrd Skynyrd say - turn it up (the sound!):

Old 03-31-2015, 02:17 PM
inkdnkinkd
Novice

Yeah! Like that, just not as flashy. Some chrome is cool, but I like my bike to look ridden, different bars, faring, etc. But that's definitely the look and the sound i'm going for. Ok, maybe not a race engine. I wish I knew what he built that off of.

Old 03-31-2015, 02:40 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

The S&S 145" engine is quite a bit taller than a stock Harley engine, so won't fit into a stock Harley frame. It's quite likely they scratch-built a frame for it. A newly built bike will look used after enough miles!