EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Shinko Tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 04:30 PM
Edster 69
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shinko Tires

Just wondering if anyone has used these tires and what your thoughts are? I usually run Dunlop's. Thanks in advance!!
Edster

Old 03-30-2015, 05:03 PM
Maxdog2
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run them. Good handling tire dry or wet and for the price even if they do not last as long as others they are still a great buy. I am running the 777 and usually get 8-10K out of the rear and change both at the same time. The front will have plenty of tread and usually helps someone else needing a tire.

Old 03-30-2015, 05:10 PM
Ape_Hanger
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I started using the 777's last spring and I'm happy with them. They are a very sticky tire on both wet and dry pavement. Mine seem to be wearing well, I'm gonna estimate that I'll get 10k out of them at least.

Old 03-30-2015, 05:13 PM
bluharley
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny, when I ask about cheap tires here, I get a pounding!

Old 03-30-2015, 05:15 PM
traildog
Extreme HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 352 Posts

SHINKO rhymes with STINKO for a reason.............

Old 03-30-2015, 05:19 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Just put a pair on my FXR over the winter. In maybe 500 miles so far this spring, no complaints.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:12 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by bluharley

Big difference between Shinko and Kenda!!!

This thread made me realise why you guys in the USA really don't rate the H-D branded Dunlop's yet I found them to be superb in the wet and you can get 10k miles out of a Shinko, whereas they go about 5k in NZ....it's all down to what your roads are made of, you have a lot of concrete roads and smooth black top and all ours are made of volcanic chip....which is ultra grippy and abrades tyres at a frightening rate.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:58 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by bluharley
Yea, but that's because we picked on ya!

Shinko get plenty of mentions across HDF, although I wouldn't personally use them. Avons are just SO good.......

Old 03-31-2015, 06:41 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Spanners39
This thread made me realise why you guys in the USA really don't rate the H-D branded Dunlop's
Nobody should rate those crappy tires!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-31-2015, 08:29 AM
falconbrother
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a set of 4.5 year old HD Dunlops (from the date of manufacture) on my bike and they were rotted, cracked and the rear tire was totally cupped (these were the tires on the bike when I bought it). The dealer wanted $700.00+ for a new set of Dunlops and was unaware that my bearings would need to be repacked. I figured with that kind of service I couldn't go wrong with the Shinko 230 touring tires and repacking my own bearings. Personally, I love these tires -- so far. They are super quiet, sticky, and ride smooth. Time will tell how many miles I get out of them (which isn't something I worry that much about). I probably ride 10,000 miles a year. It takes me a couple of hours to mount a new tire. If I have to remount a new tire every year I won't sweat it. Also, I'm not allergic to trying a different brand next time but, I'm completely satisfied with the Stinkos.

I tried the Shinkos because a buddy of mine was laid off and rode his bike down to bike week with thread showing on the rear tire. He put a Shinko on there and loved it. Rode it till it was slick. The tire he had before that was a Kenda and liked it too. This guy rides all the time. He rides more miles a year than anyone I know and in all weather except ice and heavy snow. I know the Kenda lasted him like, six months. He wasn't unhappy with it. Those tires got him through a rough time of being out of a job. Now he has a job and is running a Michelin on the rear. I think the front tire is a Kenda.. BTW, he's riding a Yamaha Road Star 1700 with somewhere around 100,000 miles on it.

Quick Reply: Shinko Tires