EVO All Evo Model Discussion

3rd 4th chattering

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 07:16 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 3rd 4th chattering

Finally found the time to get out on the bike after doing the tranny swap. Seem to have an issue with 3rd and 4th gear.When I shift up to 3rd gear and again upto 4th gear Im getting a a chattering noise once I shift into 5th gear noise is gone. If I shift down from 5th into 4th I get it again and sounds worse going down into 3rd and down into 2nd and 1st is fine. If I don't roll on the throttle in 3rd or 4th I dont get the chatter but as soon as I give a bit of throttle I get it. If I pull clutch in chatter is gone. So I know it has to do with gearbox with 3rd and 4th gear. When I pulled the tranny a few years back it was fine and I had just given it a full rebuild with new parts not including the gears and shafts but everything else was replaced. I'm thinking problem could be in the shifter drum orthe shifter forks.
Before I start digging into tranny again I'd like a few thoughts on what to look for?

Old 04-14-2015, 08:40 PM
D_gyver
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

sounds like either bad bearings under 4th and 3rd gears on the mainshaft part number 8876A or bad gears on the mainshaft. did you remove the gear set and replace them when it was apart.
alot of ppl overlook this they just replace the outer bearings and call it rebuilt.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:00 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

I replaced all the bearings, it came as a rebuild kit. It sounds like two gears are perhaps not lined up perfectly.

Last edited by RidemyEVO; 04-14-2015 at 09:06 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:45 PM
D_gyver
Road Master

Originally Posted by RidemyEVO
I replaced all the bearings, it came as a rebuild kit. It sounds like two gears are perhaps not lined up perfectly.
its possible but not likely 4th and 3rd are not next to each other you would have to have more than one fork fail to cause that
from the trap door to the clutch it goes 4th 1st 3rd 2nd 5th
and the forks shift 1st-2nd, 3rd-5th and 4th is by itself

Old 04-14-2015, 10:14 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Is it possible its an issue with the shifter drum? One thing I did was take the shifter forks from the other tranny and reuse them in this tranny, I did inspect them and they still looked new from when I put them in.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:36 PM
D_gyver
Road Master

if the drum has alot of wear or the forks are bent
does the noise sound like gears not meshing properly or does it chatter like the gear dogs are slapping against each other
another thing that can cause the gear dogs to chatter is a bad clutch but im still leaning towards bad 3rd and 4th main gears or bad bearings under 3rd and 4th
if i had it sitting in front of me i could give you a better answer

Old 04-14-2015, 11:30 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Definitely sounds like gear dogs tapping together .

Pulled drum ,looks OK . will have to pull trap door to get forks out ,maybe have to go deeper.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:37 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

I pulled the forks out and just eye balling them they don't look bent but how can you actually tell if there bent, I lay them each on a sheet of glass on there forks as there not flat all the way to where shaft goes through and they each seem flat, only one is flat to the shaft hole and that one seems flat as well. Should there be any rocking movement at all in the gears ?First gear on countershaft seems to rock a bit , hard to tell on 4th and third as there tucked tight to each end of the shaft.

Couple thoughts that I think would be fair to share, on my mainshaft between the 2nd gear and fifth gear ( the gear that is pressed in place in the case) there are 2 orings on the mainshaft and I have never really thought they were a bad thing, thought maybe it was just an old trick someone used for what ever reason and I just put them back on when I rebuilt it.
Second thought , many times if I was working on the tranny and the forks and shaft were out I would lock the gears together engaging the countershaft and mainshaft gear dogs and use this lock to tighten up the primary side nuts and pulley nut, is this a bad thing? Hard on the mainshaft and countershaft gear bearings etc?

You can see where the end of screw driver is pointing to gear dog where its shiney.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:08 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Looking at post 7 pic of forks installed is it possible I installed the two outside ones backwards?

Old 04-15-2015, 02:12 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Looking at post 7 pic of forks installed is it possible I installed the two outside ones backwards? Forget it I see now that's not possible.

Quick Reply: 3rd 4th chattering