EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Evo advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 02:48 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

That is pretty, right there. Makes me wish I had a reason to buy it from you.

Old 04-24-2015, 05:23 PM
J W G
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ipara
Ok, sorry for the delay. I made the effort to take some pictures...
Beautiful - like a work of fine art

Old 04-25-2015, 11:24 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

A crate motor is no good to anyone sitting in the crate and is way better than the stock motor currently in the bike.

Most people who want 100HP don't actually NEED 100HP, they just like the number....

Also, reworked stock heads can be just as good as aftermarket so save your pennies there.

If you had your heads worked and planed, put an EV46 in there and the S&S it will go very nicely indeed, be reliable, tractable and fun.

Sure, you won't be able to boast that you have 100HP but you will enjoy every mile you ride on the thing.

I have no idea how many HP my TC has, maybe 70, maybe 80? I don't give a damn, it's tuned to my riding style and when people start gibbering on about horsepower I sit there wondering what inadequacies they face in their lives to have to do that....

Whatever you do to the crate motor, fit the full-compliment (usually referred to as the Torrington) inner cam bearing.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:39 PM
rhd47
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, sorry for the delay. I made the effort to take some pictures...
Thanks for the pics.......that IS sweet...!!

Old 04-26-2015, 08:05 AM
D_gyver
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Where do I start... Way back in 2002 I got the bug to build a Harley from the ground up, silly me! In order to build a bike you need a frame, so I started to look for ANY big twin Harley frame to start my project. Well I happened to find a guy selling a FXR frame. The frame was painted this god awful pinkish color, but I didn't care as I was going to re powder coat the frame anyway. Anyway I bought it and started collecting FXR stuff, including the 99 Evo. Well the project went by the way side as I bought a 03 FXDL. Fast forward to last August when I went into the garage to go for a bike ride, started up the bike, oil light won't go out, shut down the bike, I pull the oil dipstick. Instead of being at the bottom of the stick it's half way up the stick. I decide 4k for a new motor is not worth it, hence FXR project comes back into the light until I get a call from the powder coater who tells me I'd better come over. Well under that wonderful paint job was a bondo job around the neck. Well the frame was raked, highway peg mounts removed, etc. I sold the frame on Ebay and made good money on it. After that sold I went looking for a WHOLE bike... LOL

I will make an effort to post pictures of the motor. It's just a motor bolted into a wooden crate used for transport. I'm not even sure the crate it's in is a Harley crate or something built for this engine...

The 91 has 55K on it, but the engine was part of a Harley recall back in the day due to cracks in the engine cases. So the motor was rebuilt when the bike had 24K on it which means the motor on the bike only has 31k on it.

The one thing I have is a set of Screamin Eagle heads for the Evo.

I'm going to use the new heads no matter what, so I need to know about the rest of the stuff like pistons, cams, etc. I also need to know around what I should pay for someone to take the engine apart and put it back together and what I should expect out of the finished motor.

Sorry for the long response...
if you want 100 hp out of a stock motor you can do it its really not hard most everything you need is bolt on with very little modifications except the heads those will have to be sent out to a porter and that is the most important part and there are a lot of good porters around like hillside,baisley and tman but you want a great porter and for that you go to ken henderson. and for your cam wood is the only choice if your just shooting for right at 100hp. build the motor for a W9 if you want a little more W9F
another note if you build a 100hp 80" evo dont expect it to last 80k miles the valve train takes a beating and dont even think about running anything less than 93 octane i carry little measured tubes of 104 booster with me.

Old 05-10-2015, 11:32 PM
Ipara
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After all of your comments I've decided to sell off my brand new Evo. If anyone is interested or you happen to know someone who may be interested in buying it from me please contact me at ipara2@hotmail.com.