EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Tranny usually hard to shift from 5th down to 4th?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 10:21 AM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Tranny usually hard to shift from 5th down to 4th?

1991 FLHTC, so this has been happening since I bought it last fall. I just did a fresh fluid change in transmission. I also had it done last fall when I bought it, only had maybe 3000 miles on it when I did it this past week.

When downshifting from 5th gear to 4th gear she sometimes likes to grind and then finally catches. I have gotten in the habit of letting rpm's drop to idle before trying to shift down into 4th. It's fine from there and no other gears give me issues, except for having trouble getting into neutral at times.

I should add that I just installed a new clutch cable. I have it adjusted with approx. 3/16" free play at the end of the lever. I did not adjust the clutch when I changed the Primary. Think that would help?

My clutch on this is very different than my metric. Meaning on this the clutch releases almost as soon as I release the lever. I start moving immediately. On my metric my clutch lever is almost all the way out before the clutch releases, and movement is rather delayed and a bit more controllable. Does this sound right for my model? Thoughts please?

Old 04-20-2015, 10:39 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I recommend you change your technique. By letting the engine revs drop to idle, one of the parts you want to engage during the gear change is rotating much faster than the other. That is why you hear the poor things grinding against each other and not completing the change!

Be kinder to them and raise engine speed, instead of lowering it, so that the engine speed is close to the speed it will rotate at once the gear is engaged. You should quickly find you are able to make silent changes like a pro!

Old 04-20-2015, 11:10 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thats some good advice from Graham. I would also recommend a couple other things. Make sure clutch is adjusted correctly, inspect the shifter cam, and while inspecting shifter cam also put bike in 3rd and make sure the shifter pawl is adjusted evenly as per manual.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:58 AM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain

Originally Posted by grbrown
I recommend you change your technique. By letting the engine revs drop to idle, one of the parts you want to engage during the gear change is rotating much faster than the other. That is why you hear the poor things grinding against each other and not completing the change!

Be kinder to them and raise engine speed, instead of lowering it, so that the engine speed is close to the speed it will rotate at once the gear is engaged. You should quickly find you are able to make silent changes like a pro!
It does get much better when it's up to temp and warmed up I have noticed. It's just real finicky sometimes. And the only reason I had started to let the rpm's drop was because it literally would not engage on a quick downshift, mainly when cold, 1st ride of the day kind of thing. I will review my manual on adjusting the clutch. When I replaced the cable I have the lever slack to spec, that was simple enough. But this issue was present when I bought it. I have never adjusted a clutch before, any tricks of the trade would be appreciated. (ie... being in 3rd gear recommended previously is a good one, Thanks!)

Old 04-20-2015, 12:02 PM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain

I would also like to add that when I pulled the tranny drain plug there were a bunch of metal flakes on the magnet. Obviously doing it's job, but with only 3K miles on it since last oil change, is that normal? Dealer supposed did a 3 hole fluid change last august. Fluid wasn't black, but not very clean either with that low of miles on it. But since that was my 1st oil change myself I have nothing to compare it to. Wish I would have snapped a pic of what the fluid looked like before dumping it.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:09 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Best way I have found to adjust clutch is to loosen off cable ,remove derby cover, loosen off adjuster nut, turn allen head adjuster in while holding clutch lever and when lever goes to the halfway point off the bar lock the adjuster nut in place and adjust cable to preference. Once everything is tightened up pull the clutch lever a few times and it should feel good and you should see the clutch pack push outward disengaging. These instructions are for if you want the clutch to engage at half way point off bar. Adjust to preference for where you like it using same technique.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:21 PM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain

Originally Posted by RidemyEVO
Best way I have found to adjust clutch is to loosen off cable ,remove derby cover, loosen off adjuster nut, turn allen head adjuster in while holding clutch lever and when lever goes to the halfway point off the bar lock the adjuster nut in place and adjust cable to preference. Once everything is tightened up pull the clutch lever a few times and it should feel good and you should see the clutch pack push outward disengaging. These instructions are for if you want the clutch to engage at half way point off bar. Adjust to preference for where you like it using same technique.
Thanks, sounds simple enough! It does seem to engage way too soon for my liking. It grabs so fast, makes me wonder if it is fully disengaged when trying to shift.

What about finding neutral? That can be tricky as well. I just got it back on the road last Friday and only have one good ride on it, maybe 60 miles. Sometimes I got it, sometimes I have to kill the motor then shift to neutral. Will adjusting the clutch help with that as well?

Old 04-20-2015, 12:26 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by DeputyLoud
Thanks, sounds simple enough! It does seem to engage way too soon for my liking. It grabs so fast, makes me wonder if it is fully disengaged when trying to shift.

What about finding neutral? That can be tricky as well. I just got it back on the road last Friday and only have one good ride on it, maybe 60 miles. Sometimes I got it, sometimes I have to kill the motor then shift to neutral. Will adjusting the clutch help with that as well?
I just redid my tranny , it had a broken tooth on third gear and when I put it all back together I for some reason adjusted my clutch the guessing way turning clutch adjuster screw off seat 1/4-1/2 turn and when I did test ride I had shifting problems going into 5th and downward as well couldn't get into neutral without shutting off bike. I adjusted the clutch again the way I described and had no more issues with 5th gear and absolutely no issues going into neutral.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:30 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Something to look at...is the lever contacting anything physically??
Don't need to be [shouldn't be] Running to check this

Old 04-20-2015, 12:41 PM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Racepres
Something to look at...is the lever contacting anything physically??
Don't need to be [shouldn't be] Running to check this
I'm a bit unclear as to what your referring to specifically? What could the lever possibly be interfering with?

Quick Reply: Tranny usually hard to shift from 5th down to 4th?