EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 12:46 PM
Gasman1979
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right on

Thanks for the input. New to the forum and I think im GONNA like it here !!!

Old 04-23-2015, 02:36 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

FWIW, after about 12 years on the road, my remanufactured EVO engine began to pass a lot of oil out the breather. Apparently, the little rubber flapper valves in the rocker boxes harden with age and heat, and no longer do their job.

When I dismantled the rocker boxes to replace the flapper valves, I also discovered that the rocker box gaskets had squeezed out of position around the breather chamber inside the rocker box. It wasn't leaking to the outside, but oil was able to pass from the rocker box directly into the breather chamber. New gaskets, flapper valves, and careful reassembly, and I get no more oil in the breather.

Oh, yeah, if the oil pressure light goes out when you start the bike and stays out, your oil pressure is fine.

Last edited by Uncle G.; 04-23-2015 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:17 PM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Oil in the Breather Case?
Maybe I am way off base here, so let her fly if so. But isn't the crankcase breather tube routed to the back of the air filter housing in the oem configuration? Many here remove that and install a separate filter to keep that oil from being passed into the filter housing. This was done on my ride already when I bought it. I have one of the filters in the pic on mine mounted down on the side of the trans housing. The hose was still hanging from my carb with a plug in it. I removed that and the fitting and put a real plug right in the threaded hole where the fitting was. So to me it stands to reason that a small amount of oil would be normal, in the stock config.

Attached Thumbnails Oil pressure-aaaadjovl4maaaaaaa9qfg_large.jpeg.jpg  

Last edited by DeputyLoud; 04-23-2015 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:53 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Agreed, minimal oil mist was meant to be recycled, proper oil levels and breather gear working properly, head gaskets etc. All should be good without an aftermarket filter mounted somewhere.
(Like a PCV system)

Last edited by glidein wide; 04-23-2015 at 10:03 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:35 PM
hyrax222
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default ^^^What He Said^^^

Originally Posted by Beemervet
You are stressing it. HDs are more about flow than pressure, and gauges are notoriously inaccurate.
Yea, verily.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:49 AM
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

The service manaul I had for the early EVO's stated..."the idle should be set just high enough to extinguish the OP warning light"...or some such verbiage. When I first started riding a Harley, I thought all the guys just revved-up their engine at signal lights to show-off their loud pipes. I learned that we revved them up to make the OP warning light stop blinking. My first experience with wanting an oil pressure gauge on my EVO was when the tech. told me that it would only scare me to death. It's practically a complete waste of money.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:12 AM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I like having a gage, but I know what normal is.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:45 PM
o0smitters0o
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

@Deputy I believe 1984 to 1992 Evo's had the breather come out the bottom, to which people will put a filter on. Like the chrome one shown. After 94 the breather comes out and is wrapped around into the back of air filter. That's the way it was explained to me by my local shop. I have excess oil coming out of mine and believe it is a worn out umbrella valve or flapper or whatever the name for it is. So I was wondering also at the time why my breather was down at bottom.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:26 AM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by o0smitters0o
@Deputy I believe 1984 to 1992 Evo's had the breather come out the bottom, to which people will put a filter on. Like the chrome one shown. After 94 the breather comes out and is wrapped around into the back of air filter. That's the way it was explained to me by my local shop. I have excess oil coming out of mine and believe it is a worn out umbrella valve or flapper or whatever the name for it is. So I was wondering also at the time why my breather was down at bottom.
You could very well be right. I can neither confirm nor deny, LOL. On my 1991 when I bought it there was a hose sticking out with a bolt clamped in it to plug it (lame), on the back of the air filter mounting plate. At 1st I had no idea what it was until I seen it in the service manual. It was the crank case breather tube. The original owner had cut it, plugged it, and put that style filter down below. I probably would have never even known what the filter was for if it wasn't broken when I bought it, the filter was missing so I had to replace it right away. Then removed the unsightly plugged tube and put in a proper pipe fitting plug. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Peace!

Old 04-28-2015, 04:55 PM
machinehed
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default oil pres. or volume ?

Originally Posted by Gasman1979
I'm new to the forum and have a concern with a 96 Ultra with the 80 Evo. At an idle the oil pressure is only 2 to 4 psi and at 3000 rpm on the highway about 10 psi. The bike sat up for two years before I bought it. I immediately changed the oil with Penzoil 20w 50 and a new filter. This seems to be really low to me. Any advise or am I stressing ?
This is a standing issue with HD motors that dont use plain bearings and work with a high oil pres.
Roller and ball bearings require a high " volume " of oil as opposed to plain bearings that require a high oil pres. to assure no metal contact.
This being said i assume HD has included an oil dummy lamp to advise you that your motor is pretty much now junk if it comes on after 2000 rpm.?
I agree with all who advise that an oil pres. gauge will cause a lot of head scratching and consirns for no reason.
The oil pres. output from an EVO oil pump rates @ 12-35 lbs. at approx. 2000 rpm. The pres. at idle could be as low as 2 lbs. on up !
Hence the freaking out of all who install an oil pres. gauge .
One of these days i will fluid pres. test a HD oil pres. switch to see just where they are set to trip .
If anyone else has done this , please let us know .

Quick Reply: Oil pressure