EVO All Evo Model Discussion

motor allignment

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 12:37 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default motor allignment

Been doing some relaxing Friday morning research on proper way of lining up an evo motor and tranny after removal of both or one or the other without much luck for proper "motor allignment". The manual seems to speak quite a bit about install of inner primary to first inner to tranny then inner to motor both with motor to tranny loosened off until final torque. Allign rear wheel to swing arm shaft and then checking front wheel to rear wheel allignment.
I've been told there is a section on making sure motor is straight up and down and correct sideways but all I can find is adjusting sideways if front to rear wheels don't allign.

So here's my thoughts and keep in mind I havent adjusted anything, if you install inner primary to tranny and loosely lineup inner to motor over oring etc and it doesn;t seat perfectly would you then adjust the lower motor mount adjustment inward or outward which ever way makes inner primary seat perfectly on both motor and tranny before torquing down so to eliminate any stress on the inner primary?

Old 04-24-2015, 01:46 PM
97 dyna lowrider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First stand the bike upright. Support the trans from underneath. When you loosen everything. Then remove the inner primary the motor and trans will drop a little as you loosen them if you do not. After you remove the inner primary. You loosen the front two bolts,that bolt the motor to the mount.

Then loosen the 2 bolts In between the motor and trans. Sorry best pic I have.

Then loosen the stabilizer on top of the motor. Just under the gas tank. And the two mount bolts. Again sorry for the pic. The front bolt to the stabilizer mount. is just to the right of the front spark plug. The rear bolt is to the left of the rear spark plug. The stabilizer is bolted to the top of that mount.

Once this is all loose with the inner primary off. the motor will move just about anywhere you want it. Then you bolt the inner primary back up. Just like the book says. This should align the motor and trans streight in a perfect world.

Last edited by 97 dyna lowrider; 04-24-2015 at 01:55 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:57 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

I understand what your saying, well mostly. In the first pic you say to "You loosen the front two bolts,that bolt the motor to the mount." Are you referring to the front lower motor mount ?
I take it with the motor mounts loosened off when you bolt the inner to the tranny then if inner to motor is not lined up you would make an adjustment to the (part 32) front lower motor mount inward or outward to be sure inner primary mates to motor perfectly?
And how would you go abouts making sure motor is straight up and down the way its suppose to be?

Attached Thumbnails motor allignment-engine.jpg  
Old 04-24-2015, 03:04 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Lynn, the section you refer to is 'vehicle alignment', as distinct from rear wheel alignment, section 2.13 in our service book, page 2.33.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:05 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks Graham I'll have another look see.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:11 PM
97 dyna lowrider
Tourer

The bolts I'm talking about are (number 6) in the diagram. There the main bolts that bolt in vertically into the mount plate through the engine case. you will also remove the bolt (number 14) from that link (number 32) to disconnect it from the mount also. With everything loose when you bolt up the inner primary it should pull the motor as you bolt the inner primary to the trans. That inner primary is what aligns everything. Once the inner primary is bolted up. You tighten the bolts in between the motor and trans. Then the front bolts (numbers 6) once all those bolts are tight the motor and trans will be locked into position.as far as streight up and down. As long as your front and rear rotors are parallel then you just bolt the top stabilizer up and you are good. If the stabilizer bolt don't go back in without rocking the top of the motor. you need to adjust the top stabilizer utill the rear rotor is parallel to within 1 degree of the front rotor.
It is a pain in the ***.

Last edited by 97 dyna lowrider; 04-24-2015 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:26 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Now it makes scence. I used a 8 foot florescent bulb on the rear 2 points of the tire to the front 2 points of the tire and all 4 points touched. Would this be the same as the front to rear rotors? I have a totally rebuilt 2000 tranny in case I will be installing very soon and wanted to get my ducks in a row for the motor allignment.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:30 PM
97 dyna lowrider
Tourer

Yep basically making a square box around the bike. So all for corners touch.

Last edited by 97 dyna lowrider; 04-24-2015 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:36 PM
97 dyna lowrider
Tourer

It tough explaining things like this over the interweb. Much easer to show someone

Old 04-24-2015, 09:28 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

You can also use a string pulled tight tied to something like two stools or whatever, can move around to line it up,set the string height and ****, works ok.

Quick Reply: motor allignment