EVO All Evo Model Discussion

An Exhaust question please...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 05:30 AM
wombat457
Road Master
Received 300 Likes on 186 Posts
Default An Exhaust question please...

As you can see in the picture below, I have a pipe running between the two exhaust pipes, the one colored green:

I think it has something to do with equalizing the pressure or something, is that right? I have noticed that not too many other bikes have that pipe between the exhausts so was wondering if it was really needed or not and if there were any benefits in having it.

Basically, what is it, what does it do and is it needed for the bike to run properly?

Last edited by wombat457; 04-25-2015 at 05:35 AM.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:11 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

It is a crossover pipe and your bike will run fine without it.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:22 AM
wombat457
Road Master

Ah thanks THC yes, now I remember what it is called.

So what is it's purpose then? I'm only asking because if I get a new system then I am most likely not going to get the cross over pipe. Basically, if it was needed then I'd be restricted to slip ons I would think.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:02 AM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

You should try to get that in blue.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:03 AM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Did you do the tank yet ?

Old 04-25-2015, 08:18 AM
wombat457
Road Master

Blue would look good, true and nope not yet. Getting some metal Comet emblems from THC to have a look at and see if they will work. If they don't, or they look out of place for some reason then I'll look at getting the tank done as per the diagram or similar. To be honest, the tank isn't my main priority at the moment but will have something done one way or the other.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:25 AM
wombat457
Road Master

Originally Posted by glidein wide
You should try to get that in blue.
Like this you mean?

Ahh, think if I have to have it - it'll stay chrome.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:31 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,194 Likes on 5,396 Posts

Originally Posted by wombat457
So what is it's purpose then?
If you read up on crossovers, they can work well in a high performance motors...BUT you can bet the reason Harley used them... was a cheap and easy way to get the motor quieter to meet noise regulations...the motor will run fine without it.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:01 AM
D_gyver
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wombat457
Ah thanks THC yes, now I remember what it is called.

So what is it's purpose then? I'm only asking because if I get a new system then I am most likely not going to get the cross over pipe. Basically, if it was needed then I'd be restricted to slip ons I would think.
i wouldn't say it will run fine i would use "OK"
the crossover pipe does a good job at making the bike quieter because each cylinder now fires out 2 mufflers. the crossover pipe also lets you run a smaller pipe without sacrificing performance. and the big one it equalizes the gas pulses giving you more low and mid power.
the complete opposite would be drag pipes or as some call them true duels
that can get you that extra 7 hp at 6000 rpm but loose power at low to mid rpm not to mention the dreaded "drag pipe dip" in the torque curve. most install drag pipes for sound and dont care about performance.
the best of both would be 2 into 1 while it wont give you the same low end as a crossover would its so close only a dyno would see the difference and top end power most of the time will be better than drag pipes with a smoother power curve.
but as most ppl on this forums will tell. you run what ever pipe you want whether for looks or sound or performance its your bike and you are the one riding it.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:15 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,779 Likes on 18,557 Posts

Originally Posted by D_gyver
i wouldn't say it will run fine i would use "OK"
the crossover pipe does a good job at making the bike quieter because each cylinder now fires out 2 mufflers. the crossover pipe also lets you run a smaller pipe without sacrificing performance. and the big one it equalizes the gas pulses giving you more low and mid power.
the complete opposite would be drag pipes or as some call them true duels
that can get you that extra 7 hp at 6000 rpm but loose power at low to mid rpm not to mention the dreaded "drag pipe dip" in the torque curve. most install drag pipes for sound and dont care about performance.
the best of both would be 2 into 1 while it wont give you the same low end as a crossover would its so close only a dyno would see the difference and top end power most of the time will be better than drag pipes with a smoother power curve.
but as most ppl on this forums will tell. you run what ever pipe you want whether for looks or sound or performance its your bike and you are the one riding it.
it equalizes the gas pulses giving you more low and mid power .... Bingo ... Cheapest and most effective way to help with "low end grunt" and it has nothing to do with having to be related to high performance engines ... I built and designed exhaust systems for years for a living.

Quick Reply: An Exhaust question please...