EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Yet Another Newb Oil Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 08:08 AM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,816 Likes on 1,760 Posts

Stick your finger in the tank, fill it enough to cover your fingernail.

Check oil line routing, if you can see the tubes inside the tank, the vent will be the highest.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:22 AM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Nice bike

Old 04-26-2015, 09:04 AM
MoMedic
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Schex3x
Stick your finger in the tank, fill it enough to cover your fingernail.

Check oil line routing, if you can see the tubes inside the tank, the vent will be the highest.

Thanks that helped a lot the picture! It's the green line on the pic, the line between filter and the pump im having issues with. First was pump side and last was the filter side and it was the worst. Also it looks like the pressure started to push the line off of the fitting. I'll pick up a K&N and replace that then snug up those lines. Oil level with bike upright is just at the bottom of fill tube where it connects to the tank body.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:03 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,494 Likes on 4,611 Posts

It sounds like this may be the first time you have run this bike, so it may be that the oil hoses were connected incorrectly by a previous owner.

Make sure the oil hoses are connected to the oil filter correctly.

Oil enters an oil filter from the outside of the filter element, and exits through the center.

It may not be obvious looking at the oil filter mount, so an easy way to determine which fitting is which:

With filter off, remove the oil hoses, a little compressed air into each nipple, when the air comes out the center of the mount you have found the return nipple. Connect the hose that returns to the tank to this nipple.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 04-26-2015 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:25 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,706 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Yeah, I think either the filter is bad for some reason or the lines to the filter are swapped. When you pull the filter off, you can usually tell which line goes to the center and which goes to the outside. Look at the filter and you'll (usually) see a backflow preventing flap, or anti-drainback valve under the small holes at the outer ring of the filter. If the lines are reversed, that would put a whole lot of back pressure on that line.

Old 04-26-2015, 01:03 PM
MoMedic
5th Gear

I've drove it about 500 miles and it never leaked a drop. All I done was change oil and filter. Logic tells me it's either to full or somethings up with that filter I was sold. I just picked up a K&N 170-C. Hopefully that's the problem so I can move fwd and change tranny fluid.

Old 04-26-2015, 01:32 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Could have been a Twinkie filter.

Old 04-26-2015, 01:34 PM
MoMedic
5th Gear

The line closest is what appears to be the center which according to what u all are say should go directly back to the oil tank. It doesn't it goes to bottom of pump. It is also the one that is leaking. Gonna swap them around and put the New filter on and see what happens

Old 04-26-2015, 04:37 PM
Owtlaw
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by MoMedic

The line closest is what appears to be the center which according to what u all are say should go directly back to the oil tank. It doesn't it goes to bottom of pump. It is also the one that is leaking. Gonna swap them around and put the New filter on and see what happens
Do one at a time. Then you'll know what fixed it.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:13 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,494 Likes on 4,611 Posts

On the OEM filter mount the outboard tube (the oily one in the picture) connects to the return to tank hose.

I think your hoses to the oil filter mount are reversed.

Here`s my theory:

The previous owner routed the hoses incorrectly (he probably followed the illustration in the factory service manual, which is wrong).

The filter that was originally on your engine did not have an anti drain back valve (oil will flow through a filter without an anti drain back valve in either direction).

I bet the filter you now have installed does have an anti drain back valve, which will stop oil flow if the oil flow through the filter is reversed...

Remove the filter, and start the engine. If oil comes through the center threaded tube in the mount, the hoses are reversed.

You won`t hurt the engine doing this, as long as you don`t run it so long that the tank runs dry.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 04-26-2015 at 06:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Yet Another Newb Oil Question