EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Yet Another Newb Oil Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 11:21 PM
MoMedic
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet Another Newb Oil Question

I have either a 96 or 99 Evo, just picked it up a few weeks ago and got around to change the fluids tonight.
The problem is now once its started it is leaking majorly around the oil-lines, I pulled out some some oil and left for a bit and came back started it again and this time it seems worse. I came to the conclusion either it is still to full or the oil filter (which id some off brand the local shop sold me). I was going to start tomorrow by picking up a K&N 170.
Has anyone seen this happen before, the lines almost blowing off. The oil tank does not have a dip stick, instead its a decorative brass plug. Ive read all the post about overfilled oil tanks but no one seems to have had this issue. The initial drip i thought was perhaps just a loose hose so i tightened it up, the second one it was coming out fast.
I'm using Mobil 1 V-Twin.
Thanks in advance for any help

Old 04-25-2015, 11:34 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

You are using synthetic oil, this is often the cause of leaks.....your oil lines could be just rotten and porous...DON'T BE CHEAPASS WITH OIL FILTERS!!!!!! Sorry for yelling but people just don't get it....buy a good aftermarket or use a genuine one....then you know it is right.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:44 PM
MoMedic
5th Gear

Yeah but using a synthetic wouldn't make the lines leak like that immediately would they? Also wanna add, they are leaking around the fitting. Almost as if there to much pressure

Old 04-25-2015, 11:51 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by MoMedic
Yeah but using a synthetic wouldn't make the lines leak like that immediately would they? Also wanna add, they are leaking around the fitting. Almost as if there to much pressure
It can and does happen....switch to mineral oil and report back but you may possible have a blocked breather or a cheapo oil filter....do oil and filter swap and report back with the results, once we know what effect they have we can sort it out for you.

Old 04-26-2015, 05:25 AM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,816 Likes on 1,760 Posts

The KN 170 is the right step, syn oil can find leaks in older evo's, but not like your describing.

What model bike?

Old 04-26-2015, 06:45 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,494 Likes on 4,611 Posts

Originally Posted by Schex3x
The KN 170 is the right step, syn oil can find leaks in older evo's, but not like your describing.

What model bike?
Hell, he doesn`t even know what year the bike is, and you want him to figure out what model?

Old 04-26-2015, 07:12 AM
Kabear
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,760 Likes on 1,086 Posts

Sounds like the return line and the crankcase breather line are swapped at the oil tank, thus the PO installed a brass cap instead of the rubber stopper dip stick that kept popping out.

So, do change the filter, change the oil to HD 20w-50 or equivalent. Then check which oil lines are attached where on the oil tank, atmosphere breather, oil filter(if separate from engine) and oil pump.

The routing of the oil lines MUST be correct otherwise you get your situation.

Also: Get the serial(VIN) off the engine and go up HD web site to find out exactly what you own. There is a VIN check section. Will identity year, make, and model.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:54 AM
MoMedic
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Kabear
Sounds like the return line and the crankcase breather line are swapped at the oil tank, thus the PO installed a brass cap instead of the rubber stopper dip stick that kept popping out.

So, do change the filter, change the oil to HD 20w-50 or equivalent. Then check which oil lines are attached where on the oil tank, atmosphere breather, oil filter(if separate from engine) and oil pump.

The routing of the oil lines MUST be correct otherwise you get your situation.

Also: Get the serial(VIN) off the engine and go up HD web site to find out exactly what you own. There is a VIN check section. Will identity year, make, and model.
I tried to find the year of the engine with the vin # but was unable to. Both Harley shops I called said that pinning an exact yr wasn't possib w/o the rest of the vin that was on the frame. This evo is on a custom frame. The story I was told was the original owner and builder bought a crate evo from HD. His family whom I bought it from as he died, (actually his church family as he left it to his church in will) believed it to be a 99 Evo. The frame is a 2009 Santee.
I only said 96-99 cause on of the shops I called said they thought it was POSSIBLY off a 96 ultra classic. The vin on the is FLRT601687.
I have no reason not to believe the church that sold the bike.
If the oil hose routing was wrong would it not have been a problem already?
I will pick up a different filter and pull some more of the oil out of the tank first. I was just thinking if the tank was over filled that may cause increased line pressure but wasn't for certain.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:55 AM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,816 Likes on 1,760 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Hell, he doesn`t even know what year the bike is, and you want him to figure out what model?
what wuz I thinking

Last edited by Schex; 04-26-2015 at 07:57 AM.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:56 AM
MoMedic
5th Gear

Quick Reply: Yet Another Newb Oil Question