EVO All Evo Model Discussion

True Track Tracula install question

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 11:45 AM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 192 Posts
Default True Track Tracula install question

I've got a true track tracula system on the way, should be here this week. I got the complete set with the new bronze bushings etc. for the swing arm to replace the Cleve blocks as well. I also picked up a set of mag rims that I need to have new tires mounted and balance on. I plan on installing new wheel bearings and seals at the same time so I know what is there.
I really do not have a shop to do some of this work so I am thinking about taking it all to a local indie shop and have them do the work that way they can get everything installed, mounted and balance and aligned like it should be.
Can anyone give me a ball park number of hours I may be looking at in terms of labor to do this type of work?
Thanks.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:51 AM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Our Mr. Brown has installed that on his bike, he should be around shortly.

Old 04-26-2015, 01:50 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Consider"ride on" or "Dyna Beads" to balance out your new wheels, no shitty weights.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:32 PM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member

What kind of press do I need to press the old swing arm bushings out and press in the new bronze bushings in? I'm thinking if I'm asking this question I might better leave it alone and get some help.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:39 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

GrBrown hasn't been on since your first post. Instead on the Tracula I used the CCE retrofit package. I went to my Indy to get the press work done. Worth it.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:52 PM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member

Yea I've been leaning that way with taking it all to an indie and say here ya go like in my first post. I suspect that is what I better do than eff it all up. The kit came in today and I was looking at the parts and looking at the bike and reading the instructions and thinking maybe I could do it but I think I would need a shop press of sorts that I do not have. I'm trying to correct a situation not create more.

Old 05-01-2015, 05:28 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Sorry chaps, just got back from a few days en France, on Buttercup, visiting the Vosges Mountains and the Schlumpf Museum.

I cannot lie, I do indeed have the Trackula kit on my Glide. Frankly it is several years since I installed it and I can't recall how long it took. It requires supporting the bike so it is vertical, but also supporting the trans casing while removing the swingarm axle etc, so there is some juggling to be done. I was doing that for the first time with pretty basic tools, not a well equipped workshop plus umpteen years of experience. I've heard horror stories in getting the swingarm axle out (it can rust itself to other parts), but mine all came apart quite readily. It is all straight-forward stuff and shouldn't take an indy long IMHO, although I hesitate to put a time on it, whereas an indy should know that off the top of his head. I took my swingarm to my local Yamaha dealer to push out the old bushings and install the new ones. That's the only part of the job that presents the home mechanic with a challenge.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:30 AM
falconbrother
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I second the balance beads. Far superior to traditional weights..

Old 05-01-2015, 08:47 PM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member

Well I dropped off my bike and the parts today with an indie shop. He was very interested in the track system, I told him to take my bike out for a before and after ride so he can see how it feels. I also found out the mag rims I picked up were for an early FLT and won't work on my '96 FLHR, so no new rubber for now. What I have is in pretty decent shape. Any way I'll post back when I pick it up later next week I hope.

Old 05-02-2015, 03:53 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Crashone
Well I dropped off my bike and the parts today with an indie shop. He was very interested in the track system, I told him to take my bike out for a before and after ride so he can see how it feels. I also found out the mag rims I picked up were for an early FLT and won't work on my '96 FLHR, so no new rubber for now. What I have is in pretty decent shape. Any way I'll post back when I pick it up later next week I hope.
It will be interesting to see what he thinks! The indy who installed my S&S 107" engine reckoned my bike is the only one with a big engine that he could trust in the wet - but he does live in the valleys of the old coal industry of Wales, which is often wet and the roads are very twisty!

Quick Reply: True Track Tracula install question