EVO All Evo Model Discussion

MM tuning

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 06:32 PM
saz
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default MM tuning

Posted this in the engine forum and got a few answers, but I figured I could get a little more info over here.

"Just found a 96 Tour Glide, and I would like to swap out the stock cam. Nothing over the top, Andrews EV13 and some slip-ons. I have heard some conflicting info on the early MM EFI systems. More than once I have been told that the 95 and 96 ECMs do not do well with piggyback tuning systems, and I have also heard the oppisite. I have a line on a Power Commander III very reasonable, but I am reluctant to pull the trigger until I know for sure. Anyone out there tuned an early MM system?"

So will a PCIII work on a 96? I cant find anyone around here that'll direct tune this thing even if I buy a "new programmable" ECM. All of the local guys here say to convert it to a carb, which is out of the question for me.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:59 PM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No, 1997 and up only. Get a later module on ebay or install the Harley ECM, BLANK, SERV-REPLACE - 41000012A and load a map with your computer to it. The new ECM can be tuned on a dyno.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:00 PM
RLH3175
Stellar HDF Member

Received 2,406 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by saz
Posted this in the engine forum and got a few answers, but I figured I could get a little more info over here.

"Just found a 96 Tour Glide, and I would like to swap out the stock cam. Nothing over the top, Andrews EV13 and some slip-ons. I have heard some conflicting info on the early MM EFI systems. More than once I have been told that the 95 and 96 ECMs do not do well with piggyback tuning systems, and I have also heard the oppisite. I have a line on a Power Commander III very reasonable, but I am reluctant to pull the trigger until I know for sure. Anyone out there tuned an early MM system?"

So will a PCIII work on a 96? I cant find anyone around here that'll direct tune this thing even if I buy a "new programmable" ECM. All of the local guys here say to convert it to a carb, which is out of the question for me.

According to power commander, it will not work reliably, his words were, sometimes it works but most of the time it doesn't. My 96 Ultra Classic has the 97/98 ECM, and the PC III

Old 04-28-2015, 07:03 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

Instead of buying a 97-98 ECM and PCIII you may just wish to try to locate a S&S VFI replacement ECM. It is tunable, and would replace bo9th parts. They are available new, but they do come up on ebay from time to time. One great advantage is that they are tunable, and you can diagnose issues with them.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:21 AM
saz
Cruiser

Originally Posted by larsfum
Instead of buying a 97-98 ECM and PCIII you may just wish to try to locate a S&S VFI replacement ECM. It is tunable, and would replace bo9th parts. They are available new, but they do come up on ebay from time to time. One great advantage is that they are tunable, and you can diagnose issues with them.
Good call! I'm going to keep my eyes open for one. Thanks!

Old 04-28-2015, 10:42 AM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by larsfum
The Harley ECM 41000012A is a S&S module. Check the price at Kutter HD.
Use the S&S Pro Tune software and you can access all of the ECM areas.
Disadvantage is that it will only use the maps on the Harly CD. But they are tunable. Download the S&S Pro Tune and look over the software.

Add the S&S auto tune kit and have a self tunner.

I use the Harley ECM on my 2000 and added the self tune kit and set the map for closed loop. My 2:1 exhaust has 18mm bungs built in.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:54 PM
saz
Cruiser

I'm curious to see if it has ever been changed. I'll look tonight. Also seems that nobody wants to even consider tuning these older bikes, which makes me even more determined to make it all work! Thanks for all the help!