EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Ultima 6 transmission review

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 12:19 AM
Beltdriven
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ultima 6 transmission review

In the spring on 2012 I bought a Ultima 6 trans new for the very good price then of $860 Cdn cheap because our dollar was worth a lot more then than it is now against the US dollar.MY indy that I bought it from gave me a few install tips and I went ahead and installed it. Right from the start the tranny worked fine.There was no false neutrals,neutral is easy to find,shifting is easy and positive,and the neutral light worked right away.I can even downshift from second to neutral no problem.So that's about 30,000km on the clock not a helluva lot but with good maintianance I expect good service in the future.The only con I have is on a hot day waiting at a long light in neutral pull the clutch and it gets stubborn shifting to first so you quickly pull the clutch in again then it shifts into first normally-I'm used to it.Now when the tranny is hot I just pull the clutch lever twice to have a smooth shift into first.So there's my experience with the Ultima 6.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:13 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

Good to get some real-life feedback.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:22 AM
falconbrother
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the review. What year/model bike is this in?

Old 05-04-2015, 01:37 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,808 Likes on 3,313 Posts

Originally Posted by Beltdriven
In the spring on 2012 I bought a Ultima 6 trans new for the very good price then of $860 Cdn cheap because our dollar was worth a lot more then than it is now against the US dollar.MY indy that I bought it from gave me a few install tips and I went ahead and installed it. Right from the start the tranny worked fine.There was no false neutrals,neutral is easy to find,shifting is easy and positive,and the neutral light worked right away.I can even downshift from second to neutral no problem.So that's about 30,000km on the clock not a helluva lot but with good maintianance I expect good service in the future.The only con I have is on a hot day waiting at a long light in neutral pull the clutch and it gets stubborn shifting to first so you quickly pull the clutch in again then it shifts into first normally-I'm used to it.Now when the tranny is hot I just pull the clutch lever twice to have a smooth shift into first.So there's my experience with the Ultima 6.
Quick question.... A year ago I also installed a Ultima 6 without any problems to date. Question is, did you have to replace the clutch release pushrod? It appears that mine is a little too short and if I ever have to adjust the clutch I will be sol ......

Old 05-04-2015, 06:16 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

i have used them quite a bit maybe 20 - my hot rod street race bike has one BUT i did some mods - i used the baker shift lever assembly, and the 5 point verses the 3 point door bearings - and 85 / 140 Bel ray hypoid gear oil

i have maybe 4 years of nothing but wide open throttle and heal kicking gears its never missed once < jinks my self maybe

Old 05-04-2015, 07:06 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,498 Likes on 4,612 Posts

John, can those upgraded trap door bearings be used to retrofit the OEM 5 speed bearings (`99 and later trap door)?

Old 05-04-2015, 08:48 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

yes they can Midusa carrys them - johnson engineering i think

Old 05-04-2015, 09:27 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 651 Posts

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
yes they can Midusa carrys them - johnson engineering i think
John could you pm me those part numbers by chance. I can't seem to find them

Old 05-05-2015, 12:21 AM
Beltdriven
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default replys

fangs ( homemade by the fork)will ease the wind pressure or your lower leg is always being pushed backwards.

The tranny is in a 1998 FLSTC.When I bought the unit my indy Gus's Shop King George Hwy Surrey BC supplied a release rod 1" longer because the body of the transmission is also larger to accommodate more gears.So also you have to be careful of the exhaust clearance.When you shift into high gear you need the power to take advantage of the high gearing or there is no point to having a six speed.If you have a softail like mine that can cruise fast you ought to have fangs either homemade or from Harley to ease the wind blast on your legs or heavy fatigue will happen fast.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:30 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,808 Likes on 3,313 Posts

Originally Posted by Beltdriven

fangs ( homemade by the fork)will ease the wind pressure or your lower leg is always being pushed backwards.

The tranny is in a 1998 FLSTC.When I bought the unit my indy Gus's Shop King George Hwy Surrey BC supplied a release rod 1" longer because the body of the transmission is also larger to accommodate more gears.So also you have to be careful of the exhaust clearance.When you shift into high gear you need the power to take advantage of the high gearing or there is no point to having a six speed.If you have a softail like mine that can cruise fast you ought to have fangs either homemade or from Harley to ease the wind blast on your legs or heavy fatigue will happen fast.
Is there a chance you have a manufacturer name and part number on that pushrod? And yeah mounting an exhaust does get very close. could not put the lower clamp on the rear cylinder heat shield on my Bassani RR. Thanx ...

Quick Reply: Ultima 6 transmission review