EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Bike runs on.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 06:11 AM
flhchaz
Club Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 498 Posts
Default Bike runs on.....

You've all seen my threads about the efi to carb conversion on my 98 Ultra. I appreciate all the help and feedback from everyone.

I finally got to spend some time on tweaking the carb and ignition and the bike starts right up, I have it idling right at about 1k rpms when warm. The problem that I am having is that after I turn it off the bike runs on for a couple seconds. Could I have the timing too advanced?

Just to recap. I put an Ultima 53-644 ignition, and H-D VOES, and an S&S Super E Carb (still has he jets that came in it).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Chaz

Old 05-08-2015, 06:22 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,792 Likes on 3,303 Posts

Hey Chaz, I pretty much run the same setup but with a dyna ignition. I am using curve 3 but I don't run the idle to 1k. I keep it at 850 and no problems at all. Not even on hot days....

Old 05-08-2015, 06:47 AM
flhchaz
Club Member

Thanks. You have lots more hp than me! I'm all stock except for a EV-27 cam and muffler pipes. I think I may be hearing some spark knock in the front jug. Maybe I'll just retard the timing a few degrees and see what happens.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:52 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by flhchaz
You've all seen my threads about the efi to carb conversion on my 98 Ultra. I appreciate all the help and feedback from everyone.

I finally got to spend some time on tweaking the carb and ignition and the bike starts right up, I have it idling right at about 1k rpms when warm. The problem that I am having is that after I turn it off the bike runs on for a couple seconds. Could I have the timing too advanced?

Just to recap. I put an Ultima 53-644 ignition, and H-D VOES, and an S&S Super E Carb (still has he jets that came in it).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Chaz

Mine does that sometimes when I run regular gas.
It doesn't do it ever when I use super unleaded (93 octain).

Old 05-08-2015, 07:02 AM
flhchaz
Club Member

All I use is 93 octane.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:52 AM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,816 Likes on 1,760 Posts

If it still runs on after dropping some timing, you may have some carbon build up, a few tanks with some MM oil,
or spray some water in the intake followed by seafoam or MM oil and let it soak, change your oil if you do that though.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:29 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

The running-on is due to something inside the cylinder getting hot enough to ignite the incoming air/fuel mixture. As Schex points out that can be due to a build up of carbon, or more seriously a very hot spark plug or valve.

As for idle, that should be set at the correct speed of around 1,000rpm, not lower. Why? These engines ain't shovels with barn-engine sized flywheels, they need a little extra speed for the crank to rotate at a uniform speed. Lowering idle speed introduces fluctuating crank rotation, with each piston slowing down as it approaches compression, then speeding up as that cylinder fires, etc. If allowed to carry on like that it can introduce damage to the various crank and conrod bearings, as well as making the pistons slap.

Last edited by grbrown; 05-08-2015 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:52 AM
flhchaz
Club Member

I had the top end done just before I decided to do the switch. It has new rings, a fresh hone, and the heads were checked and cleaned. Anyone have contact info for Ulitma? Nothing on the web site.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:01 AM
Kabear
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,752 Likes on 1,081 Posts

I would change spark plugs first to RN12YC's. Set the gap at .038 to .040.

Do this first because it is cheapest route. Then follow grbrown and Schex advice.

You may only need to re-gap the plugs and increase the idle RPM's.

Also make sure the carb is correctly set-up ie: WOT is at the stop, the idle is adjusted properly. This to make sure the engine is using all the circuits in the carb. Start, accelerate, cruse, coast down, and idle. A combined combination of needle adjustment and push/pull cable adjustments. (easy to do and not nearly as complicated as written)

Incoming fuel "cools" the valves, spark plugs; thus preventing "hot spots".

Old 05-08-2015, 11:04 AM
flhchaz
Club Member

Thanks I'll check the carb. I just put in a new set of hd plugs. Had them laying around. They are gapped at .40.

Quick Reply: Bike runs on.....