EVO All Evo Model Discussion

voltage regulator?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 01:35 PM
thirsty
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 90fltcu
I had the same problem on my 90 fltcu. The connector from the stator was not making a good connection. It was intermittent which made it a bitch to find. Recheck the plug mine the radio would cut out and the blinkers stopped working when the plug was not connected. Don't go by the volt meter on the bike it can be off by a volt or two. Hope this helps.
I'll give the plug a closer look. It really does feel tight when you go to unplug it, thanks

Old 05-12-2015, 01:40 PM
thirsty
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
The volt meter in the faring is accurate, but it only measures the voltage on the accessory line inside the faring, not battery voltage, which is what you would want. Keeping that in mind, it is still useful as a relative indicator of what is happening in the electrical system. When your volt meter reads 10V and your blinkers are not working, it is most likely because something is shorting to ground, causing a large current draw, which then is visible as a lower voltage inside the fairing.

Finding the intermittent short is a biatch. I have found a few over the years, but never when I was looking for it. A common problem with our bikes (per the forum here) seems to be wires rubbing the insulation off under the tank and at the steering neck. You might very closely inspect those areas for a start.
Thanks again for your info, will work on it.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:54 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,706 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Note my revision: Or the charging system isn't working. Could be a lose plug there too.

Old 05-16-2015, 11:26 AM
thirsty
Cruiser

Hey guys, haven't found the prob yet, but updating anyway. Took the fuse panel out and cleaned it good, couldn't find any bare wires anywhere. Figured I'd run the bike over to him (10 mi) and buy a cycle electric v-reg from him just to see. The dash was at 13v there and back.

He said I'm charging fine, and to check the relays under the outer fairing. (He had the same problem, and it was corroded relays)

So I just pulled the fairing, is it ok to spray electric
Cleaner on the connectors, wires, fuse box?? It says it's ok on the can, but wanted to dbl check with the experts on here. Thanks

Old 05-16-2015, 11:50 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by thirsty
Hey guys, haven't found the prob yet, but updating anyway. Took the fuse panel out and cleaned it good, couldn't find any bare wires anywhere. Figured I'd run the bike over to him (10 mi) and buy a cycle electric v-reg from him just to see. The dash was at 13v there and back.

He said I'm charging fine, and to check the relays under the outer fairing. (He had the same problem, and it was corroded relays)

So I just pulled the fairing, is it ok to spray electric
Cleaner on the connectors, wires, fuse box?? It says it's ok on the can, but wanted to dbl check with the experts on here. Thanks
Don't just spray it on top of everything.
You will need to disconnect all wires before spraying.

Old 05-16-2015, 12:42 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,698 Likes on 1,153 Posts

If it's CRC electrical cleaner don't hose down the connectors that have a weather pack seal. A rubber seal around the housing of it that seals when connector is pushed together. Have had the stuff swell up this seal and not let the connector go back together as it should, makes for a bad connection.

WP

Old 05-27-2015, 01:04 PM
GR8ONE68
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

'90 FLHTC - New to forum and this is my first Harley.

I'm chasing the same issue. I have the same symptoms and I'll add a couple of others. Like the OP, my problem is intermittent so it is difficult to track down. When I am at 14 amps (normal) my blinkers cause the volt meter to bounce violently, from the normal 14 down to 8. The needle bounces with the flash of the blinker. This is not an intermittent symptom, this happens every time I put either blinker on.

When I am at the reduced voltage and the blinker won't come on, I can get it to come on by turning the headlight off. I can then turn the light back on and the blinker will stay on.

Sometimes, not always, when I put the blinker on it will go off when I hit the brake.

I'm thinking my problem is the voltage regulator. I didn't find any corroded wires.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:47 AM
thirsty
Cruiser

Originally Posted by GR8ONE68

I'm chasing the same issue. I have the same symptoms and I'll add a couple of others. Like the OP, my problem is intermittent so it is difficult to track down. When I am at 14 amps (normal) my blinkers cause the volt meter to bounce violently, from the normal 14 down to 8. The needle bounces with the flash of the blinker. This is not an intermittent symptom, this happens every time I put either blinker on.

When I am at the reduced voltage and the blinker won't come on, I can get it to come on by turning the headlight off. I can then turn the light back on and the blinker will stay on.

Sometimes, not always, when I put the blinker on it will go off when I hit the brake.

I'm thinking my problem is the voltage regulator. I didn't find any corroded wires.
Welcome to the forum, you'll find everybody on here quick to help with good info. I rode over 500 mi last weekend, the volts stay at 13. But if I turn the spots on (other two lights) she drops to 11v. Think I'll check the wires that go to them too.

Old 05-29-2015, 05:46 PM
machinehed
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 20 something elec. systems.

Originally Posted by GR8ONE68

One thing to remember is that the charging system of any vehicle has one job only , that is to keep the battery charged , the vehicle elec. system is powered by the battery which acts as a storage unit , ballast resistor/ condensor filter etc. etc. It does many jobs to ensure that clean power is available to the end users of the system.
Batteries fail but can be easily tested to determine failure.
Wiring needs special attension and determining good connections is your responsibility.
Follow your manuals instructions and do the deeds needed.
See my help procedures in this forum.

Old 06-13-2015, 10:53 AM
thirsty
Cruiser

Morning guys! Picked up a new volt reg last night (96 ultra) did not realize it doesn't have a ground like the stock one did, is it built in? The new one is a cycle electric, ce-320 rectifying regulator. Says it's for 89 to 96 all flh, flt, cept fuel injected, which mine is carbed. Its a 32 amp also, thanks

Quick Reply: voltage regulator?