EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Compensator ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 12:39 AM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

I've never experienced or heard of a trans that would jump out then back in.

Old 05-24-2015, 01:52 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

Just as I said in another thread....a lot of what H-D design is superior to aftermarket stuff...some things just shouldn't be messed with because different isn't always better.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:03 AM
Big Dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 558 Posts

Well like i said , for sure my motor is fine and have the nice whirring sound not clink clunk rattle , as for the rest will get out today for a ride and see . Going to have to dodge thunderstorms all day but should get enough miles to find out , Fingers crossed Lol

Dave

Old 05-24-2015, 12:43 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,698 Likes on 1,153 Posts

Sounds like ya got it nailed down or least a real good chance of it.
good luck on the ride.

What you found does make sense for the noise.
Have learned everything in the primary has to be Right for life to be good

WP

Old 05-24-2015, 01:21 PM
Big Dave
Outstanding HDF Member

Thunderstorms kept me to about a 20 mile ride so i did a lot of stop and go town stuff to test it and---------------------------------------------------------

Motor is fine absolutely no noise clanging or clunking ------But i still have occasional slipping on take off but less severe engagement so that was also part of the chain issue .clutch slipping on start up , is there a plate adjustment ? thinking my old shovel was easy to adjust plate pressure separate of throw ?
Will get the manual out

Dave

Old 05-24-2015, 01:30 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Dave
Thunderstorms kept me to about a 20 mile ride so i did a lot of stop and go town stuff to test it and---------------------------------------------------------

Motor is fine absolutely no noise clanging or clunking ------But i still have occasional slipping on take off but less severe engagement so that was also part of the chain issue .clutch slipping on start up , is there a plate adjustment ? thinking my old shovel was easy to adjust plate pressure separate of throw ?
Will get the manual out

Dave
After readjusting the clutch (always try the simple stuff first) I would have a look at the clutch plates and the spring plate for wear.

Old 05-24-2015, 06:47 PM
JohnMB
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Beemervet if you have worn dogs or cogs or bent shift forks it`wont stay in gear under a load but shift drum is in selected gear it will jump in and out of gear.Ihave seen them jump out with so much force it would change to either a upper or lower gear.I believe in Big Daves instance when he puts it in gear its not engaging all the way in because possibly the detent is not adjusted correctly which means shift drum not in correct position it jumps out of low gear the force causes shift drum to rotate to proper position and its firmly in gear. I mean Ive never seen compensator jump ramps even when nut is loose. A primary chain would have to be mighty wore out and loose for it to skip a tooth and most slipping clutches are just that a slipping clutch.

Old 05-24-2015, 06:52 PM
Big Dave
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by JohnMB
Beemervet if you have worn dogs or cogs or bent shift forks it`wont stay in gear under a load but shift drum is in selected gear it will jump in and out of gear.Ihave seen them jump out with so much force it would change to either a upper or lower gear.I believe in Big Daves instance when he puts it in gear its not engaging all the way in because possibly the detent is not adjusted correctly which means shift drum not in correct position it jumps out of low gear the force causes shift drum to rotate to proper position and its firmly in gear. I mean Ive never seen compensator jump ramps even when nut is loose. A primary chain would have to be mighty wore out and loose for it to skip a tooth and most slipping clutches are just that a slipping clutch.
Is there a simple check for this or is it a major job ?

Dave

Old 05-24-2015, 07:21 PM
JohnMB
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes its a simple check do you have a service manual?

Old 05-24-2015, 07:26 PM
Big Dave
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by JohnMB
Yes its a simple check do you have a service manual?
yes i have the manual , only check i see without taking inner primary off is the one where you feel the shift arm spring pressure both ways to feel if it is even or centered , using that mine feels fine

Dave

Quick Reply: Compensator ?