EVO All Evo Model Discussion

91 ULTRA REBUILD. Good news + Bad news.!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 02:11 PM
BungoBill
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
That's true, Tups, but I think Bill's bike came from this side of the pond, if I recall. Not that someone couldn't have removed the jumper on the ignition switch over here.

John, I've never had one sump out a full 2 quarts. Half a quart, tops.

Anyway, Bill, 12V at the battery when cranking means YOUR BATTERY IS IN GOOD CONDITION.
In 1991 my Ultra was shipped new from Milwaukee along with its "mate" (another ultra) to a stealership in Finland. It was immediately re-directed, again with its "mate",without being unpacked to a stealership in Edinburgh,Scotland.
I believe its spec. was for the European market

Last edited by BungoBill; 05-21-2015 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:16 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Originally Posted by BungoBill
Aye Graham, but cant guarantee when it will happen! Weather up here in Scotland has been diabolical for this time of year. Cant remember it being as cold & raining for so long. Wheres the global warming?
Doon Sarf old chap! Beautiful day today. All I have achieved today though is to install highway pegs on our Sporty, without removing the front exhaust (it's a long story). Been chasing around the locality looking for the right ball-ended Allen key to get at one inaccessible screw.

It's quite possible your bike is like mine, an International model, however I suspect there are variations, depending on local National regulations. Does yours have an ignition-only switch position?

Old 05-21-2015, 02:16 PM
BungoBill
Road Captain

Originally Posted by grbrown
Not on all versions! My 1990 International model has a main switch with ignition only, then lights, then accessories.
Yes Graham,that is the same as mine.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:19 PM
BungoBill
Road Captain

Originally Posted by grbrown
Doon Sarf old chap! Beautiful day today. All I have achieved today though is to install highway pegs on our Sporty, without removing the front exhaust (it's a long story). Been chasing around the locality looking for the right ball-ended Allen key to get at one inaccessible screw.

It's quite possible your bike is like mine, an International model, however I suspect there are variations, depending on local National regulations. Does yours have an ignition-only switch position?
Yes, it has an ignition only position.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:23 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,706 Likes on 1,343 Posts

They all came with an ignition only position: Lock, Off, Ignition, Headlights, Accessory. It is just that the US models, at least, had a jumper between the Ignition and Headlights positions so that there is electrically no difference. Tups says that his international model did not have that jumper. A lot of the guys would take that jumper off back in the old days. For example, a 79 FLH had Off, Ignition, Lights on the switch, but Ignition and Lights had the jumper too.

Old 05-25-2015, 03:45 PM
BungoBill
Road Captain
Smile 91 Harley Rebuild. Sorted! well almost !

I decided to check all electrical contacts starting at the battery.
Low and Behold...I found out that the nut on the starter terminal wasnt tight enough. After re-tightening the motor/engine turned over ok.
I will need to sort out the rear and front lights which stay ON as stated in previous thread. Feel that Im getting somewhere now especially with no unusual noises from the motor when turning over.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:40 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

Originally Posted by BungoBill
In 1991 my Ultra was shipped new from Milwaukee along with its "mate" (another ultra) to a stealership in Finland. It was immediately re-directed, again with its "mate",without being unpacked to a stealership in Edinburgh,Scotland.
I believe its spec. was for the European market
a couple of guys in a group see what the bikes in that group does - in a service shop like i have with many customers over a 50 year period you get to see things happen only someone in a full service shop gets to see - and that is not counting ( the offerings to the god of speed )

Old 05-28-2015, 02:27 PM
BungoBill
Road Captain

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
a couple of guys in a group see what the bikes in that group does - in a service shop like i have with many customers over a 50 year period you get to see things happen only someone in a full service shop gets to see - and that is not counting ( the offerings to the god of speed )
Valid point, but my 2 experiences with local Harley shop were bad
+ VERY EXPENSIVE.