EVO All Evo Model Discussion

An example of how to tell if your Dyna motor mount is worn

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 07:13 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,742 Likes on 928 Posts

I did not remove the rear wheel. Seems I was able to get in there with an assortment of open end wrench and ratchet/socket with a long (about 10-12 inch) extension.

This was last year and it seems I used the socket and extension from the right side of the bike??? The open end (or box can't remember) wrench in from the belt gaurd area. I think I did remove the belt gaurd to get in there....Sorry I am old and memory ain't what it used to be....

I just remember it was not that big of a deal changing out both of them and alignment was no biggie as well. I did front first leaving it a little loose, then did the rear. I just took a nice casual pace as was done in one afternoon by myself over a few beers.

Having two jacks is a must. A motorcycle jack for the bike and a small scissor or bottle jack for the engine. The wheels stayed on the ground while changing the mounts for stability. I just used the motorcycle jack to keep the bike straight up. YD

Last edited by Yankee Dog; 05-27-2015 at 07:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
gregblyde (08-30-2023)
Old 05-27-2015, 08:34 AM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 98glider
How about the back one ? Inspection that is do you need to take off the rear tire? Thanks
Get a mirror and a flashlight and get the bike upright, you can see if its vertical and if its ripped it won't have equal distance between the mount and the trans. When you get down there with a mirror you'll know what I mean. You can also feel it with your hand and check it. As far as replacement, extension and a few jacks and an extra set of hands. I did it alone, it was a pain.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:13 PM
98glider
Road Warrior
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

something to look into. I have 40,000 miles on my 98 superglide. I am the original owner and I don't beat on her also well taken care of. When I change the oil I put aluminum foil around the filter to make a funnel and the oil dumps into the pan which will help from oil getting into the front mount. I will look into the mounts thanks for your help

Old 05-28-2015, 01:11 AM
LowriderHarold
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Bad Motor Mounts.

The one on the right is the back of the front mount. Left side is rear mount, back view.

Again , on the right ,this is the front of the front mount. Left is the front of the rear mount.

As was mentioned , oil is NOT your friend with these. One other thing you might wan't to consider is the Top Stablizer Link. They're made with pieces that will wear out. Thats the last thing I'm going to replace this weekend & then align everything. Good Luck.

Ride Safe,
Harold

Old 05-28-2015, 04:34 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,742 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by LowriderHarold
The one on the right is the back of the front mount. Left side is rear mount, back view.

Again , on the right ,this is the front of the front mount. Left is the front of the rear mount.

As was mentioned , oil is NOT your friend with these. One other thing you might wan't to consider is the Top Stablizer Link. They're made with pieces that will wear out. Thats the last thing I'm going to replace this weekend & then align everything. Good Luck.

Ride Safe,
Harold
Yes, that front mount looks toasted, and the rear while still may be ok, it's good to get them both done so you can forget about it for awhile.

Top stabilizer is on my list also, let me know how it works out and what you ended up replacing....I do know mine needs a touch of oil a few times per riding season or it will start to make a little squeak at certain rpms. YD

Old 05-28-2015, 10:23 AM
falconbrother
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Based on this thread I ordered a front motormount. I can't swear that it's worn out but, I do know that it has about 40,000 miles on it. It will get replaced next week.

Old 05-29-2015, 05:48 AM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member

Guys. My dyna is for sale and I have the best front mount out right now the predator by vibratechnics. I would be willing to swap it with someone for a brand new front mount, I don't want to put a worn out used one on, I have one of those on the shelf already so if any of you want a vibratechnics mount id be willing to swap. I'm not selling the mount, I was a tester for the Evo version and I don't feel right selling it id prefer a new in the factory parts bag mount so I know it's new. Pm me if interested. It fits Evo dynas not twin cams.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:34 AM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 651 Posts

Damn my luck. My new mount comes Wednesday and I'd be happy to swap you if it fit my twincam. That's a sweet offer right there

Old 05-29-2015, 10:36 AM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 651 Posts

Aren't they all the same from 90-up. Post a picture of yours. I bet it's the same

Old 05-29-2015, 11:14 AM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member

Looks like misfitjason has claimed my mount. It has been shipped

Attached Images  

Last edited by br549A1; 05-30-2015 at 10:20 AM.

Quick Reply: An example of how to tell if your Dyna motor mount is worn