EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Leaking Primary Bolt

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 07:41 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 926 Posts
Default Leaking Primary Bolt

This is the lower (there are two, an upper and a lower bolt that secure the chain adjuster anchor plate to the inner wall of the inner primary housing) bolt that secures the primary chain adjuster anchor plate. It passes thru the inner primary housing and is an open hole that looks like was sealed with silicone from the factory.

I can crawl under the bike and look in between the engine and the inner primary housing and see the boss that this bolt threads into. It threads in from the inside of the primary so I am looking at the hole at the threaded portion of the bolt (the opposite end of the bolt head).

Again, looks like it was sealed with silicone from the factory, and it is leaking from this dab of silicone sealer that serves as a "hole plug" for lack of better term. The upper anchor plate bolt has the same type of hole and the same type of silicone sealer "plug", but that one is not leaking. Probably part of the reason is it is higher and away from the standing fluid level.

I recently did a primary fluid change using half 10w-40 mobil 1 synthetic and half conventional (new oil left over from atv oil changes). Now this little drip developed. About one drop after a nice ride. I park it, I get the one drop, then that is it. I don't think it leaks while on the side stand as the fluid level probably moves away from this bolt/threaded hole. I think maybe the synthetic oil may have screwed me over, but it may have been my over aggressive cleaning ritual this past spring. I really reached up in that area with a rag and cleaned the chit out of it.

Anyways, I know I should pull the primary cover, remove the bolt, clean the bolt threads and threaded hole (chase the threads) and apply thread sealant, and re-install. But...I also thought about cleaning out the old silicone plug (I can get to it) and reapply a new "plug" for lack of a better term, from the outside. Kind of force some silicone in the slight recess, build up a little and hope for the best (looks like this was exactly what was done from the factory).

I know this is the lazy mans approach, but, thought I would run it by you all to see if anyone has encountered this before. Don't want to tear the primary cover off unless I really have to.

Yes, I double checked, it is that bolt hole that is leaking and not anything else like the shifter shaft seal, so dodged a bullet on that one. Thanks, YD

Last edited by Yankee Dog; 06-10-2015 at 07:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SpringerSoftail2020 (02-19-2024)
Old 06-10-2015, 07:59 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Yes it is sealed with a high temp RTV.
I change that along with every other seal every time I pull off the inner primary.
The way I see it the RTV is just another seal and is subject to failure.

On the other hand you are only losing a drop at a time so I really wouldn't worry about it.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:41 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Screw it, it's raining right now, so I went out to the garage and picked out all the old silicone sealer, used a bore brush and a dental pick and picked some more getting any remnants of the old sealer and oil out of the recess, cleaned with brake cleaner and then put a nice dab of permatex ultra grey on my thumb and really pushed it into that slight recess.

I was able to get the sealer in the hole, then put some pressure on it with my thumb trying to really press the sealer up against the threads and the bolt. Left some of the sealer proud kind of like a rivet head and around the raised boss just like the factory did.

The humidity from the rain should help the silicone sealer set up faster, but it don't look like I am riding any today anyways. Time will tell. Might just pick up some gaskets to have on hand just in case...Thanks, YD

Last edited by Yankee Dog; 06-10-2015 at 10:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SpringerSoftail2020 (02-19-2024)
Old 06-10-2015, 07:31 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Just got back from a 40 mile ride and every thing is dry as bone. YD

Old 06-10-2015, 08:17 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Congrats on a job well done.