EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Blue pipes ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 06:47 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Beemervet
It is best to keep the oil about a half quart low.
If your breather hose still dumps into the carby, remove it and discharge below the motor, with or without a filter on the end.

Problem solved.
Absolutely !!!!!

Old 06-23-2015, 07:32 PM
Topdog8
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discharge

So what you're saying is run tubes down under the motor instead of into the breather?

Why I originally posted was because I just added a quart of oil to the oil bag. I've ridden the bike say 1,000 miles since the rebuild.
No leaks at all just some discharge. No smoking at all.
Now I don't know the exact level it was at when I got it but I want to say it was about the same.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:54 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Blue Job will actually take off blueing, just like it says it will, but, it takes some effort.

I get bluing on my right muffler for a couple of inches back from where it fits on the stock pipe. Less now that I don't have baffles, but it still happens.

Blue Job does a good job on it and nothing else I've tried will work.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:58 PM
Topdog8
Intermediate

I don't mind the blueing at all it looks good and adds character.

However some of the oil discharge has gotten on the pipes and doesn't look so hot.

I'll try blue job on that perhaps. Thanks man

Old 06-23-2015, 08:00 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Topdog8
So what you're saying is run tubes down under the motor instead of into the breather?

Why I originally posted was because I just added a quart of oil to the oil bag. I've ridden the bike say 1,000 miles since the rebuild.
No leaks at all just some discharge. No smoking at all.
Now I don't know the exact level it was at when I got it but I want to say it was about the same.
Normal to high oil level can send oil to air box or to the ground via the vent, mine is to the breather where it stays clean always once I found out it likes to be a half quart down, which is still plenty of oil, thousands of clean miles...

Old 06-23-2015, 08:05 PM
Topdog8
Intermediate

There's no dipstick on the oil fill plug guess I just need to figure out the capacity for it then try filling 1/2 quart low and see how it goes.
Now you say you ride 1/2 quart low how often do you add oil or at how many miles ?

Old 06-23-2015, 08:07 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

I don't mind the blueing at all it looks good and adds character.

However some of the oil discharge has gotten on the pipes and doesn't look so hot.

I'll try blue job on that perhaps. Thanks man

Originally Posted by glidein wide
Normal to high oil level can send oil to air box or to the ground via the vent, mine is to the breather where it stays clean always once I found out it likes to be a half quart down, which is still plenty of oil, thousands of clean miles...
My bike will spit out oil also if it's not ½ qt low, but from the dipstick. I have a HD thermometer dipstick and it doesn't fit as tight as the stock one.

Blue job got the oil off of mine very well, but you have to do a fair bit of rubbing as the instructions say. Hope it works for you as well.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:08 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

There's no dipstick on the oil fill plug guess I just need to figure out the capacity for it then try filling 1/2 quart low and see how it goes.
Now you say you ride 1/2 quart low how often do you add oil or at how many miles ?
You can get a dipstick from HD if you like or likely elsewhere as well.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:10 PM
Topdog8
Intermediate

I bought the bike back in November when I picked it up the guy was wiping oil off of the bag. The wind sends it there when it's discharged he said he filled it up to high. I've noticed it happened less sense then. Back then I looked in and saw it was kinda close to the spout at the top. I didn't fill it that high this time yet it still took about a quart.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:08 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member

My bike will consume about a half quart in between oil changes and I always check oil when it's HOT. Has 40k miles....

Quick Reply: Blue pipes ?