EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Shift Linkage

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 02:46 PM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 192 Posts
Default Shift Linkage

All right I came across this thread the other day while looking for some information on shifter bushings:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...age-mod-2.html

I completed the task today and have to say a lot of the slop is gone from the shifting lever.
Now if I could find some information on the bushings that are on the shaft that goes through the primary cover again...

Old 06-27-2015, 04:25 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,695 Likes on 1,341 Posts

The bushings on the shaft through the inner primary are a problem, if that's the one you're talking about. They are paper thin and made of brass and some plastic in a net arrangement. I replaced mine with a single piece I made on my lathe from some Delrin. Works great. Much smoother and the shifter doesn't bounce around all over anymore.

Old 06-27-2015, 04:47 PM
EvoSpringer
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 92 softail shift linkage doesnt doesnt "bounce" back up when downshifting, I hate to use my toe to bring it up to downshift to another everytime. I wonder whats causing this?

Old 06-27-2015, 05:04 PM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
The bushings on the shaft through the inner primary are a problem, if that's the one you're talking about. They are paper thin and made of brass and some plastic in a net arrangement. I replaced mine with a single piece I made on my lathe from some Delrin. Works great. Much smoother and the shifter doesn't bounce around all over anymore.
Those are the ones Doc. I would like to replace the bushings in there or do like what you did. The shaft moves around a bit and I would like to tighten it up. Not to mention the grease that doesn't want to stay in inside of there.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:49 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by EvoSpringer
My 92 softail shift linkage doesnt doesnt "bounce" back up when downshifting, I hate to use my toe to bring it up to downshift to another everytime. I wonder whats causing this?
Not sure 100% but maybe the return spring in the tranny,something too tight with linkage.

Old 06-28-2015, 04:39 AM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,816 Likes on 1,760 Posts

The two bushings and shaft(if it's worn), easy job to make it like new.

33713-85 bushing 3.99
33709-82 shaft 20.99

Old 06-28-2015, 03:40 PM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks Shex3x I'll look into that as well. The linkage is goodntight now.

Old 06-28-2015, 07:48 PM
Lucky Luke
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gwaxley
Q: Where did the Heim Joint come from? A: The Rod End was an amazing new component found on the high-tech control systems of a captured German fighter plane, shot down by the British, early in World War II.
Well, I am glad that WWII ended up being good for something after all ...

BTW, they sell complete rubber boots, or neoprene rubber seals (below), to fit over the Heim joints too. Might be a good idea for those who like getting their bikes dirty.

Nice mod. Must look at it. Liked the upgrade of a clean front one with no lock nut (but using Locktite?).
Originally Posted by Crashone
Now if I could find some information on the bushings that are on the shaft that goes through the primary cover again...
What do you want to know? I have a couple of new H-D ones sitting on the bench. It looks like they are now aluminum or steel on the outside now but inside have a sort of latticed inner bushing for the sake of lubrication. Not sure it is plastic though. Can measure or inspect.

Interesting choice to choose Delrin as a replacement though.

One question, I notice some Heims come as ball joints with a right angle stud already part of it (rod ends).

Would these not be usable? It looks like they come up slimmer too.

Last edited by Lucky Luke; 06-28-2015 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:14 PM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member

I was mainly looking for some R&R advice. I thought I had seen an article on the procedure here. Looks like those heim joints would work, they look similar to the stock except the stock is a ball joint like a hip joint that can get displaced.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:35 PM
EvoSpringer
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by glidein wide
Not sure 100% but maybe the return spring in the tranny,something too tight with linkage.
I will have to check it out this week sometime

Quick Reply: Shift Linkage