EVO All Evo Model Discussion

I am now a true believer!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 10:55 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by Ape_Hanger
I did new Progressive heavy duty fork springs and new 412's in the rear over the winter. Everyone said I would hate the heavy duty springs and shocks but I dig it. No more brake dive and the bike has a much more solid feeling under hard cornering.
100%

I put the 412s on the back as well. The ride of certainly firmer, buy the improvement in stability of well worth it.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:35 PM
Maxdog2
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here, the 412s made a big difference. The ride is actually better for my ole back.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:34 AM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Beemervet
No reason for it to happen while riding.
Thanks

Old 07-02-2015, 09:09 AM
falconbrother
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My old 1988 has progressive springs and new-ish swing arm bushings. When I bought the bike the indie dealer said it rode better than tourers much newer and tracked straight as an arrow. Since I bought it I have rebuilt the forks. I don't know what the bike would ride like without the progressives so, I have no reference..

Old 07-02-2015, 09:31 AM
falconbrother
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cromagnon
Did you do it yourself and if you did, would you describe it as being difficult? The first time for anything goes very slow.
On an Electraglide this is a labor intensive job but, not a hard or complicated job. Doing this by memory:

Pull the outer cowling, stereo, handlebars (cover the tank with a couple of towels and lay the bars there) and ignition switch. Remove the anti-dive caps from the tops of the forks (which was a mild aggravation). Remove the front wheel, calipers and fender. Loosen the triple trees and slide the forks out, not the position of the rubber bumpers on the forks.

Harley forks are then some of the easiest in the world to rebuild. Take the caps off of the top, watch out because the spring will cause them to come off with enthusiasm. Pull the springs and drain the oil out. You'll need an impact wrench to pull the allen bolt out of the bottom of the fork slider. Pull that thing and the forks come apart. Remember the order of how they go back together. pull the fork seal and inspect the bushing. Clean up the business and reassemble. Use a few drops of fork oil and lube up the fork, slide the new seal on and seat it. I used a homemade contraption to seat the seals. I used some PVC I cut to fit and a hose clamp. Worked perfectly. A note about fork oil. It's basically transmission fluid. HD makes a stock weight and a heavy weight. I'd suggest staying with the stock weight. Everyone I know that used the heavy weight regretted it later. It's very stiff (That's what she said). Install the springs and put the caps back on the forks. You'll have to wrestle them back on over those springs.

Then reinstall everything in reverse order. Simple job..

Old 07-02-2015, 01:21 PM
agove
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I am now a true believer!!!!!!!

what progressive springs are you guys going with. I have a 39mm front end and I absolutely do not want it lowered.

Old 07-02-2015, 01:55 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by agove
what progressive springs are you guys going with. I have a 39mm front end and I absolutely do not want it lowered.
I went
with these with these

I didn't measure before and after, but at a glance, no apparent change in height.

Old 07-02-2015, 02:10 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,703 Likes on 1,988 Posts

I ran the Progressive springs in my '89 Sportster (39mm). I used the spacers provided and ride height was about the same as stock.

In my Heritage, the bike sits a bit lower because the stock springs were too stiff. the bike, unladen, sat all the way at the top of the stock springs. To be set up properly, the bike should have a bit of sag in the forks under the bike's weight.

Old 07-02-2015, 03:44 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

I just got the regular ones from Drag Specialties (as apposed to the heavy duty ones).
I don't think it lowered the front end at all.
I really don't see how it could without changing more than just the springs.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:41 AM
Owtlaw
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

http://www.progressivesuspension.com...ork-spring-kit

Use the "Select Your Bike" tool.

Quick Reply: I am now a true believer!!!!!!!