EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Second Guessing Stator install

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 07:19 AM
Rob85WG
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sometimes new rotors come with extra spacers and shims so that you can align the front sprocket with the rear. On my 85 the manual reads to use a straight edge on the chain in the front and rear of the inner primary cover. You measure off of the primary gasket surface. As you noticed aftermarket rotors have a built-in spacer, or they are thicker for strength and to eliminate the inner spacer. If you didn't measure you may have missed a step. (check the manual)

Old 07-02-2015, 09:51 AM
falconbrother
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think you got it right. Rotor then washer then compensator. In my experience that's the stock order of parts.

Old 07-04-2015, 02:21 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,736 Likes on 928 Posts

Just a follow up, everything is working and charging just fine. No more stator plug leak (but the o-ring trick worked for 2 years).

Here's a tip: When I tried slipping the new stator plug into the hole I sprayed silicone lube on it and it was a tough go just like I have read many times and seen on youtube.

Next I was gonna try some motor oil (I also read that straight castor oil from the drug store-a laxative, works great), but I decided to use this instead:

http://www.permatex.com/products-2/p...sealant-detail

It is the same stuff Harley recommended for years (as hylomar is the brand name) and I use it all the time on gaskets, threads, etc. Just a different name. It never sets up and always stays tacky. It is thin out of the tube but then gets tacky and stays that way. Lets you reuse gaskets, and can even be used on oily bolts to seal up the threads. It's good stuff!

Anyways, gave the plug end a coating and it slipped right in with minimal effort. Sorry I forgot to mention this trick earlier. I figure the extra sealing abilities can't hurt either.

So I have put some miles on the bike and am satisfied all is well. I did not replace the original regulator. I check it often and it is barely warm.

Getting the bike ready for about a 1500 mile-one week trip in August around lake Michigan. Thanks to all for the help. YD

Last edited by Yankee Dog; 07-04-2015 at 02:23 PM.