EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Second Guessing Stator install

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 07:43 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,743 Likes on 928 Posts
Default Second Guessing Stator install

I hate when this chit happens! 1994 FXDS. Replaced stator because of the soft crumbling stator plug. No other issues with the bike.

Disassembly (and re-assembly) went without a hitch. It went easier than I expected.

Took note of the order I removed everything. Wife had my truck with the factory manual in it, so could not reference it, but took the time to make sure I made note of the order of removal. Turns out my rotor had no spacer under it (in other words, no spacer before putting rotor on over the stator). I did note that the inside of the stator has what looks like a welded spacer permanently installed on the inside of it and I figure this is the spacer or new style rotor that incoporates the spacer on it.

So rotor on, then a washer (or call it a spacer) after the rotor, then the compensator assembly. This is exactly how I found the order when I took everything apart.

Well later after everything was put back together, wife shows up with manual and I see it shows a spacer on before the rotor, then the rotor. Then a shim (spacer) after the rotor, then the compensator.

I don't know if someone has been in the primary before me and got the order mixed up, but again, no unusual wear, chain alignment looks good, no rubbing of rotor on the stator when turning over by hand, and everything is back together (except for primary cover).

Looking for peoples thoughts on this, in a perfect world someone is going to chime in and say, "your not crazy-that is the order I found on my dyna, etc."

Pisses me off when this stuff happens! YD

Old 07-01-2015, 07:55 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Honestly I don't remember what I have in mine but you can always take off the outer primary and check to make sure the chain is straight.
If it is then you are good. (I think)

Sorry I couldn't have been more help.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:11 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks, this video (link below) shows my exact setup. At 6:16 you can see the washer on the outside of the rotor (just like what I found on mine), then at 6:39 he pulls the rotor and I do not see any washer or spacer.

Again, my rotor has a raised hub or boss welded on it (looks factory) at the shaft hole which I assume is a fixed spacer (on the same side of the rotor as the magnets). Thus replacing any loose spacer?

I think I am good and yes alignment looks good, and no rubbing of the rotor on the stator. YD

Old 07-01-2015, 08:19 AM
IBDAGRIZ
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 162 Posts

I've found lots of variations with the newer high output systems on evo motors. S&S even has a different spacer for the sprocket shaft side of the case to push out the wider rotor on the 45 amp systems. Spacers will do the same thing, but this done up front saves all that measuring later on.

All you are shooting for is no rubbing on the case by the rotor and yet have it in the correct place for chain straightness in relation to the hub.

If you assembled it like it came apart, you should be golden.

Griz

Old 07-01-2015, 12:33 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Chain is in a straight line, stator don't rub, and I seen a video with the same setup as mine.

Screw it, ain't changing a thing. I am going to put the primary cover on this eve, make a note in my manual on how mine is setup (location of my spacers and the order they are in) and give it a whirl (weather permitting).

Thanks guys! YD

Old 07-01-2015, 01:57 PM
97 dyna lowrider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a shim between the stator and rotor then a shim between the rotor and compensator. But now I have an open primary. If you didn't have any parts left over then....?

Last edited by 97 dyna lowrider; 07-01-2015 at 02:10 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:21 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by 97 dyna lowrider
I had a shim between the stator and rotor then a shim between the rotor and compensator. But now I have an open primary. If you didn't have any parts left over then....?
Yes, I was expecting a shim between stator and rotor but there was none. The rotor has a raised boss that looks like a shim welded to it in the location of the shim your talking about and I was expecting.

Looking at pics of rotors online, they are smooth without that raised boss on the shaft hole? I wonder if it was just a different source for rotors or something. Kind of odd, but the rotor is definetley spaced away from the stator. Simply because of that raised boss (welded on washer spacer thingy on the inside of the stator hole). I thought it was the spacer washer and tried to remove it with my hand, but it was stuck on there so I left well enough alone.

Again, no rotor/stator rubbing when hand cranking the engine over using the compensator nut, and I had my good ear next to it! So, I think I am good. I just hate the discrepency from the manual and the second guessing it has caused! Thanks, YD

Old 07-01-2015, 02:40 PM
97 dyna lowrider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As long as nothing's rubbing and its straight that's all that matters

Old 07-01-2015, 08:25 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Well, 13.5 volts at idle and 14.5-14.7 at about 1800 RPM's with no upsetting noises. Primary is quiet while in neutral. Did not get a chance to ride, but that is what tomorrow and the holiday weekend is for. Thanks for all the help. YD

Old 07-01-2015, 08:44 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Yankee Dog
Well, 13.5 volts at idle and 14.5-14.7 at about 1800 RPM's with no upsetting noises. Primary is quiet while in neutral. Did not get a chance to ride, but that is what tomorrow and the holiday weekend is for. Thanks for all the help. YD
Sounds like it's working just fine.

Quick Reply: Second Guessing Stator install