EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Ultima Engine Bummer

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 08:15 AM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by 1997bagger
Pistons are .020 but stock compression out of the box, calculator put it at 130" with the overbore. Sachs took some off the first set of heads when he ported them, like a said, like the way it starts now.

Had to drill 2 holes down thru the boxed section of frame to take the rocker bolts out, altered 2 allen wrenches to get the 4 lower rocker cover box bolts out. Had to bend a extension magnet in a 90 degrees to put the lower rocker cover bolts back in and one little turn at a time 4 bolts

If this engine lets go it will go for 32 cents a pound and the baby Briggs 89" comes off the shelf.
your using the .020 ultima pistons?What did u end up using for piston to cyl clearance? I see no aftermarket yet. OK on the 2 holes. Been there done that on a few of the less **** customer ones Tigged up a FXR frame for a guy that was scared about holes there for 20'years. Lol

Old 08-20-2015, 07:13 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,524 Likes on 2,865 Posts

a motor that big we would set it a at least .0035 and would not be surprised to see .005 become the number - my super gas cars engine lasted the longest at .0075 but its a small BBC at 468

Old 08-20-2015, 08:35 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,627 Likes on 842 Posts

Pistons are at .003 clearance by a local boring shop, Sachs has ran them at .001 in some of his posts on other sites.

If you want to pioneer, Tman Performance sells pistons for TC's that are 4 1/2 stroke with a larger than 127' bore for a 131", Tman says they won't work but I can get you in contact with someone that currently runs that piston in the 127" The pistons are around $400 tho, that is why I have the $175 Ultima Pistons.

Same guy also squeezed a 4 5/8 S&S flywheel in a Ultima case with the Tman pistons for a 135" he told me the jugs will be bored to the same thickness as a 88" TC to a 95" liner in a TC big bore kit

Ran the 127" today and noticed the power moved up in the RPM's about 500 rpm's with the slight compression loss but still impressive. Installed a 640 S&S cam with the higher ratio Ultima rockers over last winter and the compression really played well into that cam, starting to advance the timing some because it was pulled back before, may get some of the earlier power back but not going to push the timing to the edge of detonation

Last edited by 1997bagger; 08-20-2015 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:13 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member

Pistons are at .003 clearance by a local boring shop, Sachs has ran them at .001 in some of his posts on other sites.

If you want to pioneer, Tman Performance sells pistons for TC's that are 4 1/2 stroke with a larger than 127' bore for a 131", Tman says they won't work but I can get you in contact with someone that currently runs that piston in the 127" The pistons are around $400 tho, that is why I have the $175 Ultima Pistons.

Same guy also squeezed a 4 5/8 S&S flywheel in a Ultima case with the Tman pistons for a 135" he told me the jugs will be bored to the same thickness as a 88" TC to a 95" liner in a TC big bore kit

Ran the 127" today and noticed the power moved up in the RPM's about 500 rpm's with the slight compression loss but still impressive. Installed a 640 S&S cam with the higher ratio Ultima rockers over last winter and the compression really played well into that cam, starting to advance the timing some because it was pulled back before, may get some of the earlier power back but not going to push the timing to the edge of detonation
like u this bike will get ridden pretty much all the time other than big trips..001 might be a bit tighter than I am comfortable with air cooled. The piston price doesn't scare me. Anything u would do better on the ultima piston? I still have ultima rockers. Getting ready to jump on TC and head out to Nova Scotia. If it's ok like to pick your brain When I get back Going to start getting stuff ordered sept 1 or so. Crank think I will keep fir now. Thanks a bunch for your knowledge and testing. Lol

Old 08-21-2015, 04:24 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bumpandrun
like u this bike will get ridden pretty much all the time other than big trips..001 might be a bit tighter than I am comfortable with air cooled. The piston price doesn't scare me. Anything u would do better on the ultima piston? I still have ultima rockers. Getting ready to jump on TC and head out to Nova Scotia. If it's ok like to pick your brain When I get back Going to start getting stuff ordered sept 1 or so. Crank think I will keep fir now. Thanks a bunch for your knowledge and testing. Lol
The Ultima pistons are now made by Mahle, coated and good looking pistons, just bore and install, put the rod clearance cutouts the right direction. If you want more compression you will need to mill the heads but a good starter, battery and cables are a must, it will still kick back at times. That is why I'm liking the stock compression right now, very rarely will it kick back.

Ultima camshaft works good that specs 640 with the Ultima rockers, the S&S specs 640 with stock rockers so some more lift with the Ultima's. Believe it or not the S&S cam idles kinda smooth and a sleeper but pulls real hard when in giddy up, The Ultima cam has some lope at idle and serious lope at 1100-1400 rpms but the power seems kinda peeky depending on rpm range, the S&S doesn't care where it is.

Check that #1 rod lateral movement when it is at top dead center, it has a tendecy to wear and gain clearance.

Have fun on the ride, pull a plug wire on the TC if you miss the vibrations

Old 08-30-2015, 07:31 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member

The Ultima pistons are now made by Mahle, coated and good looking pistons, just bore and install, put the rod clearance cutouts the right direction. If you want more compression you will need to mill the heads but a good starter, battery and cables are a must, it will still kick back at times. That is why I'm liking the stock compression right now, very rarely will it kick back.

Ultima camshaft works good that specs 640 with the Ultima rockers, the S&S specs 640 with stock rockers so some more lift with the Ultima's. Believe it or not the S&S cam idles kinda smooth and a sleeper but pulls real hard when in giddy up, The Ultima cam has some lope at idle and serious lope at 1100-1400 rpms but the power seems kinda peeky depending on rpm range, the S&S doesn't care where it is.

Check that #1 rod lateral movement when it is at top dead center, it has a tendecy to wear and gain clearance.

Have fun on the ride, pull a plug wire on the TC if you miss the vibrations
Thanks for all the info. Mahle pistons I trust. Have used them in our 355 flat top 2 ring motors . Think I will learn from you. Going to keep compression down. Maybe just a cut to clean heads up. Maybe run the ultima cam for now as this motor never did see 2000 miles . Checked the rod and crank pin. No slop. Built a starter already for the ole EVO and made all new heavy cables. Changed ground around and got it off starter. Moved bike hot wire direct to batt from circuit breaker so it's away from hot starter. If u have a phone number to order Pistons let me know. Gaskets came in while I was in trip. Nice 2000 mile ride on the twink. Did u run a comp or a direct sprocket? Thinking Barnett clutches?
Thanks a bunch

Old 08-31-2015, 08:58 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bumpandrun
Thanks for all the info. Mahle pistons I trust. Have used them in our 355 flat top 2 ring motors . Think I will learn from you. Going to keep compression down. Maybe just a cut to clean heads up. Maybe run the ultima cam for now as this motor never did see 2000 miles . Checked the rod and crank pin. No slop. Built a starter already for the ole EVO and made all new heavy cables. Changed ground around and got it off starter. Moved bike hot wire direct to batt from circuit breaker so it's away from hot starter. If u have a phone number to order Pistons let me know. Gaskets came in while I was in trip. Nice 2000 mile ride on the twink. Did u run a comp or a direct sprocket? Thinking Barnett clutches?
Thanks a bunch
Pistons from Jireh, If they don't have them they drop ship from Ultima. Currently running a compensator. Bandit clutch is popular, i run a Rivera Pro Variable Clutch that is nasty with a less then stock lever pull

Old 09-03-2015, 10:50 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member

Pistons from Jireh, If they don't have them they drop ship from Ultima. Currently running a compensator. Bandit clutch is popular, i run a Rivera Pro Variable Clutch that is nasty with a less then stock lever pull
Thanks again. Gonna call after the holiday weekend. Any way to tell what year the 127 were made.
Thank for your help

Old 12-13-2015, 09:54 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member

Well how's that big ole motor treating u? Been a while but almost done and might have gotten i n a little deeper. Performance and cosmetic...Can't wait now. Hey u still like the Rivera pro? Just started on the chassis as racing is over for this year and no snow plowing as of yet. Brembos front and rear as u said it needs to stop. Anything else u have found u like to share. Fuel pressure staying ok? No need for electric pump? U build a diff gear box?
Thanks in advance

Old 12-14-2015, 08:13 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

Hey Bump, I would bet he's in a tree stand somewhere waiting for a deer. Lol.
He truly had a nice pic last winter or so...

Quick Reply: Ultima Engine Bummer