EVO All Evo Model Discussion

98 evo noise question

Old 07-23-2015, 08:21 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 113 Likes on 40 Posts

If it sounds kind of like and old siren, and depending how many miles you have on it, I would be looking at the junk inner cam brg. Even though you have nothing in the screen, the oil comes from the tank to the screen and then to the lifers and cam bearings. If it still has the original cam bearing that is where I would look first. I changed mine out on my 99 at 23,000 miles just for peace of mind. Took me about a day using adjustable push rods. Got 49,000 on it now with no leaks and no hums from the cam chest. My bearing did look really good when I took it out though.

I could be all wrong and since I do not know the history of your bike it may have already been changed.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:14 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Kraft
If it sounds kind of like and old siren, and depending how many miles you have on it, I would be looking at the junk inner cam brg. Even though you have nothing in the screen, the oil comes from the tank to the screen and then to the lifers and cam bearings. If it still has the original cam bearing that is where I would look first. I changed mine out on my 99 at 23,000 miles just for peace of mind. Took me about a day using adjustable push rods. Got 49,000 on it now with no leaks and no hums from the cam chest. My bearing did look really good when I took it out though.

I could be all wrong and since I do not know the history of your bike it may have already been changed.
I did change the inner cam bearing when I put the ev27 in. About 24,000 miles ago. Got it on the lift. When I have time I will tear into it. EVOs. Got to love them. Takes about 3 hours to open the whole thing up. Nice and simple

Old 07-26-2015, 08:31 PM
Yul B. Nekst
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know that noise! Have had it on my 98 Low Rider since before and after bearing and cam swap. In fact, that was the reason I got my OE bearing outta there at 20K. Everything fine though when it came out. Being that it's really hard to nail these weird noises, I've settled on the belief that it is the primary sprocket/chain being oil starved during leaning curves. It's the way it is because you can't add or substract primary oil due to clutch requirement. I've always also assumed it was coming from my left side, as that's where it sounds to me like its coming from.
Don't let anyone talk you into the titanium muffler bearings, either! Spent 1/4 the price on aircraft grade aluminum, and happy with results!

Old 07-27-2015, 07:19 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,701 Likes on 1,988 Posts

Are you sure you're not using that cheap, imported blinker fluid?

Also, if you change your muffler bearings, make sure you use the proper left-hand wrench for the bearings on the left side.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:40 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,187 Likes on 1,264 Posts

Which way can you lean the bike to make the noise go away?

carl

Old 07-30-2015, 06:38 PM
Yul B. Nekst
Advanced

I've found the noise is left when the bike leans right. Unfortunately for me, that means only riding south when the wind is out of the west, or north when it blows from the east. Of course I have to stay overnight or longer until the wind changes, but whattaya gonna do?

Old 07-31-2015, 12:47 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member

The hell with it. Just riding it and waiting for it to break so the 127 or? Can go in
Lol

Old 07-31-2015, 12:54 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Bumpandrun
The hell with it. Just riding it and waiting for it to break so the 127 or? Can go in
Lol
I guess that is one way to fix it!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-31-2015, 05:23 PM
Yul B. Nekst
Advanced

First, remember that not all OE bearings are going to go. There are all sorts of riders here that have 100k+ on their evo's and have never been in the cam chest. It seems though, that the more mods to a motor, the greater the chance of grenading. Second, I believe if the noise you here is from the bearing, it's too late to prevent damage to all the good parts, ie oil pump, etc. Third, evo's are notorious noisemakers. Hums, whines, sewing machine noises, etc. I truly believe your noise is normal, but I wouldn't bet a beer on it because there are too many variables, especially since I know nothing about your bike. Lastly, all my comments are in fun, please don't take offense!

Old 08-01-2015, 06:46 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Yul B. Nekst
First, remember that not all OE bearings are going to go. There are all sorts of riders here that have 100k+ on their evo's and have never been in the cam chest. It seems though, that the more mods to a motor, the greater the chance of grenading. Second, I believe if the noise you here is from the bearing, it's too late to prevent damage to all the good parts, ie oil pump, etc. Third, evo's are notorious noisemakers. Hums, whines, sewing machine noises, etc. I truly believe your noise is normal, but I wouldn't bet a beer on it because there are too many variables, especially since I know nothing about your bike. Lastly, all my comments are in fun, please don't take offense!
Oh believe me. It's not a normal noise. Sounds like it has a 671 blower on it and the belt us creaming Comp and stator not coming apart. Deep into 2 hot rod builds and 1 bike for other people. So what ever. Mo cash for the big one when I have time. Just would have liked not to grenade the ole girl

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 98 evo noise question