EVO All Evo Model Discussion

stator replacement starts tomorrow! Few clarification questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 09:40 PM
thewoozel666
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stator replacement starts tomorrow! Few clarification questions

Alright, starting my stator replacement tomorrow...I'm a little anxious/scared/confident. I'm waking up early tomorrow going to the tattoo parlor getting some already scheduled work done, hitting up the auto parts store for the 1-1/2 socket head. Then heading home to hopefully finish this job before the night is over. Just a few clarification questions to anyone out there that may know!

1. When removing the belt tensioner bolt, is it set at a universal setting or is it going to put the chain tension out of whack?? Or can I simply just bolt back on to there with no further issues?

2. Also, does the stator have to go in a certain way? As in which side?? Or is it just how it fits in the better way, example: Consider it the same as a coin, does it matter if heads or tails is facing outwards??

**Hopefully this job is easier than I'm expecting but I'm going to use this thread right here to ask questions if I may come across some unexpected issues. I'm watching the Youtube video VTWINonline and they seem to be pretty legit and on point. I also have the basic manual for my bike. Thanks for any advice/tips/answers.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:52 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by thewoozel666
Alright, starting my stator replacement tomorrow...I'm a little anxious/scared/confident. I'm waking up early tomorrow going to the tattoo parlor getting some already scheduled work done, hitting up the auto parts store for the 1-1/2 socket head. Then heading home to hopefully finish this job before the night is over. Just a few clarification questions to anyone out there that may know!

1. When removing the belt tensioner bolt, is it set at a universal setting or is it going to put the chain tension out of whack?? Or can I simply just bolt back on to there with no further issues?

If you are talking about the chain adjuster you have to loosen it so that you can get the compensator and clutch basket off.
Your FSM will tell you where to put it when it is time to reinstall it.

2. Also, does the stator have to go in a certain way? As in which side?? Or is it just how it fits in the better way, example: Consider it the same as a coin, does it matter if heads or tails is facing outwards??

Put the new one on the same way the old one comes off.

**Hopefully this job is easier than I'm expecting but I'm going to use this thread right here to ask questions if I may come across some unexpected issues. I'm watching the Youtube video VTWINonline and they seem to be pretty legit and on point. I also have the basic manual for my bike. Thanks for any advice/tips/answers.
See above.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:05 PM
back
Cruiser

The tensoner has grooves in the mating surface with the primary that holt it from slipping when the nut is torqued. Nothing universal...just when you put it back together move it up or down when loose till you get the desired/proper tension. Easy and plenty of info on the net.

The stator can only really go in one way. Wires on the backside against the inside of the case or they will get in the way.

Keep track of how the pieces/spacers for the compensator go.

I may add, my personal advice is to use black RTV to seal all around on all sides of where the stator plug comes through the case after a very through cleaning with alcohol to prevent the leaks/seepage that commonly occur there. Your call on that. You will likely be able to get the comp sprocket off without removing the clutch. It is not a very complicated job, but follow good sense on loosening and torquing the nut as that is the main place on can really mess up if something major....still unlikely though as these are simple and pretty durable parts.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:22 PM
thewoozel666
Advanced

You think I could mark it where the original tension was located at before I take it off?? I really don't know too much about the differences on the tensioning, so I could probably do that right? Just mark it with some white out style pen on it's original location before I bolt it off that way I can just put it right back in it's spot. Also is that plug REALLY that hard to get it through the hole?

Old 07-27-2015, 10:41 PM
Owtlaw
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by thewoozel666
You think I could mark it where the original tension was located at before I take it off?? I really don't know too much about the differences on the tensioning, so I could probably do that right? Just mark it with some white out style pen on it's original location before I bolt it off that way I can just put it right back in it's spot. Also is that plug REALLY that hard to get it through the hole?
You're overthinking it. No need to mark where the tensioner WAS. Rather take this chance to adjust it correctly. Parts wear and stretch, and these things change. And no..... it's not that hard. Clean the hole well and completely and it will slide in with some lubrication and some fiddling. Damn, that sounded filthy......

Old 07-27-2015, 10:44 PM
thewoozel666
Advanced

hahaha yeah that's why I use forums, can't keep a straight face when talking to people about it

Old 07-27-2015, 11:21 PM
GraemeR
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Use the black RTV as the lubrication for the stator plug, as that way its also sealing things up as it fits in.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:27 AM
thewoozel666
Advanced

Alright will do! Thanks...will update once I start/finish