EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Rocker Cover Install help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 09:32 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by glidein wide
Doesn't it need to compress the lifters slightly as you tighten ? They are hydraulic I take it.
Yes it does.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:33 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by WP50
Ok I'll throw this in. If the gap is around the thickness of a nickle your ok. Work each bolt a 1/4 to 1/2 round each til you feel it get solid. Then about a 1/4 turn on each. !/2 ain't gonna kill it. If ya got a torque wrench to get in there that's good also. Yea I know your how ya feel. Back off a couple bolts say on your upper motor mount bolts and run them back in. Should give a feel for the solid that I'm talking about.
Beat of luck WP
Good advice right here.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:04 PM
back
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Again, you need to tighten about 2/3 turn...wait a few min for hyd lifters to leak down...then it will allow another easy 2/3 turn...and so on till you have the rocker base flush or you bottom the rocker bolts out because you used the longer ones in the shorter holes. Pretty simple thing you have here that is getting way over complicated.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:22 AM
left4dead
2nd Gear

All good. Everything torqued in and closed up. Fired it up and no more leaks.
Thanks for the advice fellas.
This was my dad's bike. He passed away last year and I inherited it.
It's an old war horse but for some reason I really like it. It's nearly all original except for the rims, fenders and tanks. But I have the original sheet metal.
Someone told me to hang on to it because it's pretty rare. I live outside of Milwaukee. Every once in a while I take it down to the Harley Museum bike nights they throw every Thursday. I almost always have someone come up to me and ask, "Holy crap is that a 84 Softail?"

Thanks again.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:34 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by left4dead
All good. Everything torqued in and closed up. Fired it up and no more leaks.
Thanks for the advice fellas.
This was my dad's bike. He passed away last year and I inherited it.
It's an old war horse but for some reason I really like it. It's nearly all original except for the rims, fenders and tanks. But I have the original sheet metal.
Someone told me to hang on to it because it's pretty rare. I live outside of Milwaukee. Every once in a while I take it down to the Harley Museum bike nights they throw every Thursday. I almost always have someone come up to me and ask, "Holy crap is that a 84 Softail?"

Thanks again.
Glad you got it all put back together.
Now comes the price for our help.
Pics man pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We wanna see the bike!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-02-2015, 08:03 AM
left4dead
2nd Gear

Here she is. This is about as polished up I can get it with 30 years on her. Runs like a champ. I was thinking of tearing it down completely this winter and rebuilding the top end and finally fix that "F"ing transmission leak that 4 speeds are known for. I'm thinking a new charging system is in order for accessories (GPS, phone charger,etc) repaint the frame and tins - and polish all the smooth aluminum stuff back to original if possible. Some of the oil lines are original and pretty dry. (This is probably the last summer for a few of those)
One dude told me not to touch it because I'll decrease the value too much if I change anything. I still have the original fenders and tanks - they haven't been touched but LOOK like 30 year old stuff. I mean look at those bags? Same ones that my Dad put on it in 87. I'm not sure I'll ever sell it. Too sentimental.

What do you think?

Old 08-02-2015, 08:28 AM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts
Thumbs up

Nice bike, don't like the bags or windshield, but I like. Also pulling motor and tranny this winter to fix many leaks. Four speed was dripless for a while but now it's leaking from the inside of the sprocket, bad too.. video on YouTube showed putting a chamfer on the sleeve to except a Vinton o-ring, I may go that route.
Nice bike....

Old 08-03-2015, 01:19 PM
back
Cruiser

Always liked the early softails. Kind of unique. That said, whoever told you it was some sort of collectors piece doesn't know what he/she is talking about. Completely made it up. They are not rare and if anything are worth less than other evo softails. Kind of a hodgepodge of HD parts makes them a little bit of a hassle. Enjoy the bike and don't worry about changing it to however you like. maybe in 50 years they will have a little more value than say a 1989 HD softail. If it were me, the bags and windshield would be long gone. To me, those softails with 4speed look best more like the stripped down hardtails they were designed to emulate. It's a cool bike. Enjoy it.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:46 AM
IBDAGRIZ
Road Master
Received 224 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by glidein wide
Nice bike, don't like the bags or windshield, but I like. Also pulling motor and tranny this winter to fix many leaks. Four speed was dripless for a while but now it's leaking from the inside of the sprocket, bad too.. video on YouTube showed putting a chamfer on the sleeve to except a Vinton o-ring, I may go that route.
Nice bike....
Check this guy out. I put one of these in my 76 shovel 4 speed and it is awesome.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHOVELHEAD-P...item2a55548a0c

Griz

Old 08-04-2015, 07:04 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by IBDAGRIZ
Check this guy out. I put one of these in my 76 shovel 4 speed and it is awesome.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHOVELHEAD-P...item2a55548a0c

Griz
That's cool stuff, pretty much the mod I seen done and was gonna do on mine. something to consider and cheap enough to.