EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Followed me home

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 07:03 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

When are you gonna admit you need a working radio? That can't be too far off since you're coming around. Lol

Old 08-04-2015, 03:00 AM
stephtell
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

On my ultra I butchered the original (and functioning...) radio and fitted a touchscreen (works with gloves on) single DIN headunit in the original surround so the transparant waterproof lid still covers the radio.

Hey presto: upgraded sound and still waterproof.

Also fitted 13 cm car speakers with big magnets but without the depth at an agnle in the fairing and that together made a HUGE difference in sound (no really!).

I never had a stereo on a bike but I wouldn't want to miss mine...I love listening to 'nighttrain' from G 'n R at full blast when out on a ride!

Old 08-04-2015, 09:08 PM
factorybuilt
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Followed me home

Originally Posted by 0maha
Thanks for the tip. Today's conclusion is that I really need a "look over" rather than a "look through" shield. I think that will make all the difference.
The 9" Fast Aire curved windshield is great. Breaks the wind and you can look right over the top! 👍

Old 08-05-2015, 07:30 AM
falconbrother
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
Try it with some good tires if you want to scrape floorboards. It will do it. Metzler sport bike tires don't last that long, but man, do they stick.
Lord knows I have scraped hard parts too many times. It's too easy to do and I don't much like it. The rear wheel starts coming off of the road, etc.. Once you're in that situation you just gotta ride it out and hope for the best. Fact is, I'm fond of the EG but, it's a pig on the road. Not at all designed for riding curvy roads real hard. I have on occasion outrun sport bikes on my old Gold Wing and lots of times on the Valkyrie. I once ran down and chased a group of sport bikes over the Great Smokies on the Valkyrie. When we got into Gatlinburg they all stopped to see what I was riding. When they saw that it was a Valkyrie they stopped freaking out. No chance of that ever happening on an EG. Of course, I'm feeling too old for those shenanigans these days anyway.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:40 AM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Good stuff there. Yeah, I'm going to give this a serious once-over.

Funny thing is, I really don't like this kind of bike. For riding around town, far (FAR) prefer my FXR. This EG is a total pig. I don't mean underpowered. I mean it is so heavy! I've never had a bike anywhere close to its weight. Gonna take some practice and some getting used to. Everyone raves about these monsters, so I hope I come to like it.

The guy who I bought it from is in a town about a hundred miles away. My wife and I drove up, had her sit on it for a while and indicate her approval. Took it out for a few miles. It burps and pops some when its cold, but once it warms up, it runs just like my FXR. Why not? Its the same motor.

Did the deal, sent my wife home in the truck, then hit the road. Going south on I-29 was interesting. There were about a zillion guys heading north on their way to Sturgis. After a while, I gave up waving.

The shifting is WAY tighter than my FXR. Snick snick snick. Nice. The heel and toe thing is nifty too. Like it. On the other hand, unless you're moving, you can't get neutral on the EG. No way. Shifter just won't move. Any ideas?

This thing is in ridiculously good shape. It's never seen rain. Always been garaged. Never spent a minute outside other than when it was being run. It is just crazy clean. Even the undersides of the fenders look perfect.

As I mentioned, the horn doesn't work. Figured that one out already. Broken ground wire. That'll be an easy fix. The radio is dead as fried chicken. Never had a radio on a bike. Not sure I'll bother with it. The high beam switch doesn't do anything. Might just be the bulb. Another nit to look into.

All told, I think I did reasonably well. But its a little weird bringing home a bike you don't love. That's a new experience.

I'll give the old girl a chance. See if she grows on me.
FYI when I bought my '91 the high beam didn't work on mine either. Found a broken solder joint inside the switch housing. Maybe take a peek in there. Be careful though if you have to take it apart for fix as there is some intricate parts in there that are a pain to get oriented again. Check manual for procedure in taking that switch housing apart. Good luck! and Nice looking scoot!

Old 08-05-2015, 07:44 AM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by factorybuilt
The 9" Fast Aire curved windshield is great. Breaks the wind and you can look right over the top! 👍
Long Ride Shields is having a 60% off sale right now. I actually ordered a flat top I can look over as well. This will be the 3rd windshield I have put on there.

Old 08-09-2015, 12:37 PM
thirsty
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beautiful BAGGER Omaha! I wasn't too thrilled about having a geezer glide either, but my wife wanted comfort, and they do grow on you. Were on our second ultra, plenty of room for packing heavy on long trips. Got the short 5 inch windshield.