EVO All Evo Model Discussion

EVO rideing too low

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 06:43 AM
ronsar
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too low

My thoughts exactly, I was happy to find what I did. I'm going to pull the lowering bracket and still try the shocks that are on it now, looks like that will give me an additional 1-3/4 to 2" in height and see what that does. This will save me from spending a lot of money on new shocks. If I do go to new shocks I think I'll go to progressive 440s. Thanks for the help my friend mush appreciated. Keep coming with any additional ideas that you might have.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:15 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

If you ride often 2-up there is something you should consider before buying new shocks. When riding solo we riders can get by with a reasonable ride quality, so many of the available shocks will give a decent ride. However adding Mrs R changes the rules! The extra weight (no offence intended!), plus sitting further back on the bike gives her a quite different riding experience than the rider. Hence good quality shocks will give superior results compared with the 'many' mentioned above.

We have access to HDF sponsor Howard at Motorcycle Metal, who will custom-build you a pair of shocks that will earn you more plaudits from Mrs R than you can imagine! Let us know before you make a change.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:38 AM
ronsar
Intermediate

No offence taken guaranteed, we ride together most often, her 140 me 205, we also carry full saddle bags and trunk as well which also adds weight to the rear end, we like being prepared for whatever, riding in the Rockies you never know what kind of weather you might come across, and totally understand about where she is sitting for sure. What are the cost for a custom set of shocks so far I have seen some crazy pricing out there for motorcycle shocks that are 12 to 13" long ?

Old 08-04-2015, 09:12 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

Originally Posted by ronsar
No offence taken guaranteed, we ride together most often, her 140 me 205, we also carry full saddle bags and trunk as well which also adds weight to the rear end, we like being prepared for whatever, riding in the Rockies you never know what kind of weather you might come across, and totally understand about where she is sitting for sure. What are the cost for a custom set of shocks so far I have seen some crazy pricing out there for motorcycle shocks that are 12 to 13" long ?
Stock shocks for your bike are 13", the 12" shocks only came in on the Harley range with the Street Glide, some years later. Now everyone thinks they need to drag their pants on the road! Even I, as a short-****, ride at stock height, because that's how we get best ground clearance (which is little enough!) and ride quality, especially 2-up.

Howard sells three ranges of shocks: just-about-affordable, a-bit-less-affordable and eye-watering! However he gives HDF members a discount, although I don't know what that is at present, but reputed to be generous. His list prices are approximately: model #2 $700, #3 $1,000 and #6 $2,000. Mrs B and I are similar weights combined, often ride close to the max weight of our bike and have his #3-3, they are sublime!

Believe me, Mrs R is worth at least #3 IMHO!

Old 08-04-2015, 03:06 PM
ronsar
Intermediate
Default sticker shock

Wow, and lol. I was wondering where the 12" had come from I found the 13" length in my manual. I'll see how it rides after I pull the lowering kit and go from there. Boy I could put shocks on all my vehicles for life at these prices :-)

Old 08-04-2015, 09:19 PM
ronsar
Intermediate
Default Much better

Well sir I pulled the lowering kit tonight and gained two inches In height. Thanks for all your help couldn't have done it otherwise. I'm sure the ride will now be much different but good now before we take our ride at the end of the month. Want to thank you and greatly appreciated.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:31 PM
ronsar
Intermediate
Default New Shocks

I've been checking on Motorcycle Metal and after our trip I think i'm going with your suggestion and purchase a new set of shocks from Howard, I like what I have been reading. How is it we can go through HD Forum for this?

Old 08-04-2015, 09:40 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

In addition to compromising the already sketchy HD rear suspension, lowering blocks are also known to crack swingarms near the axle. Take a close look before your trip.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:42 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

I've been checking on Motorcycle Metal and after our trip I think i'm going with your suggestion and purchase a new set of shocks from Howard, I like what I have been reading. How is it we can go through HD Forum for this?
I don't know about Howard but I have bought from other sponsors and I just told them I was a member when I called them and they gave me the discount.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:07 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Cool

Just phone him and tell him you are a member - you could mention my name as well, for added effect! He will discuss a range of features that will help you chose which of the options will work best for you and Mrs R and your pocket. If you change bikes later you can swap your shocks over, or sell them in their own right.

Mrs B and I shipped our bike to the USA in 2003, for the H-D centenary celebrations, and rode around 3,500 miles while there. It was by far the longest trip we had done in one go and we came home determined to improve our comfort. It took a long time to come up with a solution, but the improvement in comfort and ride quality with our Ohlins is quite something!

What we find is that the ride is smoother, even on quite decent roads. Not only have we never ever bottomed out with them (we've had them several years), regardless of what we have hit, but they are more comfortable in all circumstances. So we can ride further each day, be less tired when we chose to stop, and are happy to ride on the following day.

Quick Reply: EVO rideing too low