EVO All Evo Model Discussion

1999 EVO Heritage, carb, 40,000mi Buy / Not Buy

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 08:25 AM
2PawsRiver
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If I had not just spent a crapload of money on vacation....I would be buying a one way ticket to WV. :-)

Old 08-08-2015, 08:25 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

A few random thoughts...

Time of year is on your side. Hard to sell a bike once we get into August.

"Other stock parts for bike"? You might get lucky and he still has the factory pipes hanging on the wall in his garage. Those drag pipes have got to go! (IMHO).

"Some dings?"

As ads go, his sucks. Crap photos. Not enough photos. Iffy description. I don't expect his phone is exactly ringing off the hook.

First thing I look at on these is the timing cover. If it has the original "V2" cover with factory rivets, that's a pretty solid indicator that the motor has never been opened. (Not a guarantee...could be re-riveted, but no one does that.) Hard to tell from the ad, but I think that's what I'm seeing. That's a plus IMHO.

Looks like the stock air cleaner cover. Like that.

Ads been up for a week. All that tells you is that if $4500 is not a total give-away price, or someone would have snapped it up already.

All told, this bike looks mostly stock and depending on what "some dings" means, looks to be in pretty solid shape. There's no obvious reason from here it won't be good to go on your trip. Should be fine. Guy says the $4500 is "firm"? Doesn't mean you can't try getting him down a bit. If you're going to have to buy a replacement exhaust, I'd be looking to get it for $4k or less. If he still has the factory exhaust and you fall in love with the bike, then his asking price is ok-ish. Seems a bit high for an August price, but its not ridiculous.

Good luck!

Old 08-08-2015, 08:29 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

BTW: Someone better buy that before TD get's the green light for another bike. Let's see, what would he name it? Old Blue? Naw. He likes girly names. Perhaps Blue Velvet? TD looks like a Bobby Vinton kind of guy....

Old 08-08-2015, 01:22 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,698 Likes on 1,153 Posts

If your not to far from it. It's dang sure worth a trip to ck it out

If it ck'd out and was in my part of Texas I'd bet it would have already been gone.

WP

Old 08-08-2015, 09:14 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,003 Likes on 2,817 Posts

Jump on it. I paid $4500 for the '93 Heritage Classic I just bought with 35,000 miles on it and mine does run great. It was garage kept, no signs of abuse and it had just about every extra you can put on it. If yours seems likewise go buy it before somebody else does.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:36 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,384 Likes on 2,951 Posts

Since the inner cam bearing goes south at the 15,000 to 25,000 mile range, there's a good possibility that it's been changed to the more durable design. (They're BOTH Torrington made, btw.)

If you want/need a bike, this one is priced reasonably.

EVO's have a tendency to leak oil out of the valve covers as they're made of paper. Get the rubber covered steel gaskets and the leaks are history. (Mine used to leak every 12 to 15,000 miles. The steel ones? No leaks in 100,000+ additional miles.

Since the advent of ethanol in the gasoline, the CV carbs have been eroding jet sizes, causing rough running, and poor mileage.

Old 08-09-2015, 06:13 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Since the inner cam bearing goes south at the 15,000 to 25,000 mile range, there's a good possibility that it's been changed to the more durable design. (They're BOTH Torrington made, btw.)

If you want/need a bike, this one is priced reasonably.

EVO's have a tendency to leak oil out of the valve covers as they're made of paper. Get the rubber covered steel gaskets and the leaks are history. (Mine used to leak every 12 to 15,000 miles. The steel ones? No leaks in 100,000+ additional miles.

Since the advent of ethanol in the gasoline, the CV carbs have been eroding jet sizes, causing rough running, and poor mileage.
About the only part of this post I agree with is that steel gaskets (base and head gaskets) last a long time.

Cam bearings last far longer than 15k-25k miles
I had an INA bearing that I changed at 100k miles.
I know of others with the same sort of mileage.
BTW the only reason I changed mine was just because I was in there anyway not because it failed.

Valve covers (aka rocker boxes) don't have gaskets made out of rubber coated steel. Base and head gaskets do but not the rocker boxes.

Ethanol eats rubber not brass (which is what the jets are made of) so I really don't understand the third paragraph at all.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:29 AM
Kayakeur
Tourer
Location: Eastern foothills of Shenandoah Mountains, Virginia
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 99 evo flstc

Owner took CL ad down today, emailed me & said he is taking it off the market, not going to sell it now. Didn't say why. Maybe because it was priced a lot lower than most other Harleys of any type 1990's - 2002 Craigslist generally minimum $7000)
My guess is he will re-post it at a higher price.
Lots of Craigslist ads are overpriced and say OBO.

I've been trying to visit the bike but he's not home much.
If it is at all like his ad says I'll pay his asking price $4500 before somebody else does. It's worth it and it's way below market.

Pricing, take a look: here's my bookmark to search Craigslist Richmond Virginia (I have similar bookmarks to search 6 Craigslist areas in 200 mile radius of me - I'm seriously looking!)
https://richmond.craigslist.org/sear...+flhrc+|+flhrp

Norty, Hey Man, Omaha, good technical info, Thanks.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:00 PM
traildog
Extreme HDF Member
Received 700 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Hell man the last question is the most important!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread hi Jack! thread hi JackThread hi Jack! threead hi Jack!

Old 08-09-2015, 01:09 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by traildog
Thread hi Jack! thread hi JackThread hi Jack! threead hi Jack!
When I comes to a sister with loose morals you betcha!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: 1999 EVO Heritage, carb, 40,000mi Buy / Not Buy