EVO All Evo Model Discussion

1999 EVO Heritage, carb, 40,000mi Buy / Not Buy

Old 08-09-2015, 06:18 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 435 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Since the inner cam bearing goes south at the 15,000 to 25,000 mile range,.
Dunno where you got that gem from, I've seen plenty with 50K miles and even more with a stock inner bearing....all were stock motors mind you but 15-25K....I think that is unduly pessimistic and I wouldn't use that yardstick to assume it had been changed.

Old 08-09-2015, 06:31 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,340 Likes on 1,548 Posts

Originally Posted by Kayakeur
Owner took CL ad down today, emailed me & said he is taking it off the market, not going to sell it now. Didn't say why. Maybe because it was priced a lot lower than most other Harleys of any type 1990's - 2002 Craigslist generally minimum $7000)
My guess is he will re-post it at a higher price.
Lots of Craigslist ads are overpriced and say OBO.

I've been trying to visit the bike but he's not home much.
If it is at all like his ad says I'll pay his asking price $4500 before somebody else does. It's worth it and it's way below market.

Pricing, take a look: here's my bookmark to search Craigslist Richmond Virginia (I have similar bookmarks to search 6 Craigslist areas in 200 mile radius of me - I'm seriously looking!)
https://richmond.craigslist.org/sear...+flhrc+|+flhrp

Norty, Hey Man, Omaha, good technical info, Thanks.
Well I guess that solves that. You snooze - you lose.

Old 08-09-2015, 06:32 PM
traildog
Extreme HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Hackd
BTW: Someone better buy that before TD get's the green light for another bike. Let's see, what would he name it? Old Blue? Naw. He likes girly names. Perhaps Blue Velvet? TD looks like a Bobby Vinton kind of guy....
Nah, I call it GUN, or BULLITT you gun toten KAITLYN.......:-)

Old 08-09-2015, 06:36 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,340 Likes on 1,548 Posts

Originally Posted by traildog
Nah, I call it GUN, or BULLITT you gun toten KAITLYN.......:-)
Kaitlyn, would have to be a name for a Switchback

Old 08-09-2015, 06:43 PM
traildog
Extreme HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by TSheff
Kaitlyn, would have to be a name for a Switchback

Good one!

Old 08-12-2015, 04:16 PM
Kayakeur
Tourer
Location: Eastern foothills of Shenandoah Mountains, Virginia
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

re: 1999 FLSTC EVO 40,000miles, $4500:
Originally Posted by BoonDock_Saint
Ask if the engine or tranny has ever been opened up for anything. Any records of maintenance? (Even Receipts)
is it leaking? if so, from where?
If it's got straight pipes either it has an S&S E or someone has worked on the stock carb.

Yes, it's a good indication if it idles and runs well that it is what he says.. . . Pay attention to your mirror to see if you have blue smoke coming out on accel or decel. the valve guide seals may be shot if it sat for a really long time. (Yes, it's supposed to shake like that in the frame..hehe)

Try and get it for 4K. There aren't that many people out there looking for EVO's. Understand that you're going to have to open up the cam chest sooner than later and that's going to cost a few bucks. New lifters, (Not HD or screaming eagle) inner cam bearing. . . . and a reasonable exhaust.
Happy motoring!
Thanks.
1. What does this mean? "If it's got straight pipes either it has an S&S E or someone has worked on the stock carb." All I want to do is put on quieter slip-ons pipes and re-adjust carb for that. Uh oh. I hope they are not one solid piece engine to tail!
2. Blue smoke & shot valve guide seals: sounds like too deep for me.
2. Blue smoke? Crap, need a friend standing to watch pipes when I accelerate away
2. Can I learn anything useful putting my hand an inch from exhaust pipe?

3. What does it mean to "open up the cam chest sooner than later and that's going to cost a few bucks. New lifters, (Not HD or screaming eagle) inner cam bearing. . . ."
5. Open how soon? (40,000 now) Ride Virginia to Florida & back 2500 miles next month?

I'm riding to West Virginia tomorrow(Aug 14) to see it $4,500, 40,000 miles.
Trying to be objective!

Last edited by Kayakeur; 08-12-2015 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:31 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by Kayakeur
re: 1999 FLSTC EVO 40,000miles, $4500:

Thanks.
1. What does this mean? "If it's got straight pipes either it has an S&S E or someone has worked on the stock carb." All I want to do is put on quieter slip-ons pipes and re-adjust carb for that. Uh oh. I hope they are not one solid piece engine to tail!
That means that unless the PO was a complete idiot, they tuned or replaced the stock carb when they put on the drag pipes.

Straight pipes are just that: Straight pipes. You can't just slip mufflers on them. If you want something quieter (and better performing, btw), you'll need a complete exhaust system.

2. Blue smoke & shot valve guide seals: sounds like too deep for me.
2. Blue smoke? Crap, need a friend standing to watch pipes when I accelerate away
2. Can I learn anything useful putting my hand an inch from exhaust pipe?
That the exhaust is hot? Other than that, not much.

3. What does it mean to "open up the cam chest sooner than later and that's going to cost a few bucks. New lifters, (Not HD or screaming eagle) inner cam bearing. . . ."
5. Open how soon? (40,000 now) Ride Virginia to Florida & back 2500 miles next month?
They say EVO's need new lifters at around 50k miles, but who knows. Lots of guys have gone farther than that on theirs.

That generation of EVO had a sub-standard cam bearing. It's a fairly straightforward process to correct it, but it does involve opening up the "cam chest" (the right side of the motor, where the "cone" is at) to get to it.

That being said, again, there are guys who have put high-miles on their original ("sub standard") cam bearings.

Like I said earlier, look for the original "V2" timing cover. If it is still there and attached with rivets at the 12 and 6 o'clock positions, then it is all but certain that the motor has never been opened. That means stock cam, stock cam bearing, stock lifters, etc. If it runs good when you are inspecting the bike, I wouldn't hesitate to get it out on the road (with all the usual caveats about tires and such). Sure, there's a chance it will grenade in the first 100 miles, but there is a far better chance it will run another 40k miles without any trouble.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:54 PM
nibroc
Road Warrior
Received 211 Likes on 158 Posts

buy the bike

Old 08-13-2015, 12:06 AM
Kayakeur
Tourer

Originally Posted by heritageblue2013
Bottom line, it's used. . . If you are going to take a trip shortly after you buy it, make sure you have the funds to tow it from your furthest point of your trip back home or have funds for repairs on the road.

If you can only afford the bike, roll the dice and go on your trip anyway. I've done things in life like that, you only live once don't let it pass you by.

Sounds like a fair deal if it appears to be in good condition. Also think about common sense, he may or may not tell you the truth about anything that may be bad on it.

Worse case, you by the bike for 4K, the engine totally goes south, for another 4K you could probably replace the engine and still have less money invested than a new Sporster
I like your dice-rolling thought. I have real reason to not put off til next year or "someday". I could ride my Sportster to Florida, 2005 XL883C with bags & windshield but concerned vibes over 55, & want a big twin anyway.
Also worst case, $4500 bike, engine explodes, add engine $4,000 (that much?!), $8500 is about what most EVO's are selling for in Virginia/WV now, August 2015.
Even worse case, no money. But, to paraphrase an old axiom, a Harley will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no Harley.

Trip is worth a dice roll. The trip is to visit 3 friends I haven't seen in 20 & 30+ years. Northern Virginia south slowly through Shenandoah Mountains Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway, camp some nights, to Atlanta, visit 2 friends I haven't seen in 20+ years, then south to Florida to visit high school best friend haven't seen in 30 years - he rides a Softail Deluxe, do a ride together - then 1200 miles back to Virginia.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:13 AM
Kayakeur
Tourer

Thank you to all for sound-sounding advice & info & comments !!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1999 EVO Heritage, carb, 40,000mi Buy / Not Buy