1999 EVO Heritage, carb, 40,000mi Buy / Not Buy

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 01:36 AM
Kayakeur
Tourer
Location: Eastern foothills of Shenandoah Mountains, Virginia
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 1999 EVO Heritage, carb, 40,000mi Buy / Not Buy

Local ad has an EVO 1999 Heritage, carb, $4500, 40,000 miles.
Original Owner. Ad says great condition, runs excellent, mechanically sound, long straight pipes, many long trips, never a problem, well taken care of, new Metzler 888 tires.

I'm ready to jump on it - it's even a color I like. (will put on quieter pipes)

But before I impulsively see it and buy it on the spot I want to ask you guys:

Is 16 years (1999) and 40,000 miles time for major maintenance or rebuild?
EVO questions to ask owner? (plus usual buying-used questions, signs of neglect, documentation).
If it starts up instantly from cold and runs normal for the length of a couple miles test ride, isn't that a pretty good sign of reasonable engine & trans condition?

Want it to be good enough condition (with a full maintenance) for 14-day solo ride next month Virginia, West Virginia, Georgia, Florida, return, camp sometimes. Want to ride a big twin instead of my Sportster.
And not break down. And keep it many years.
And not cost over $5000.

Thin wallet, price is very very right. My first big twin. Excited (calm down!)

Thanks for any advice.
Kayakeur Bud in Virginia
Aug 7, 2015

But, hey, its a used bike not a 2015 !

Last edited by Kayakeur; 08-17-2015 at 08:29 PM. Reason: add date
Old 08-08-2015, 04:06 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 438 Likes on 252 Posts

40K is not high miles if it hasn't been owned by a complete idiot who never changed the oil. Lifters are due to be changed at 50K and you'll probably want to fiddle with stuff while you are in there.

If it starts and runs OK it probably is OK as they are very simple bikes and trouble is usually pretty easy to spot.

Questions to ask:

Is it still running a stock cam?

Has it had the inner cam bearing upgrade?

Why are you selling it?

When was the last service/oil change?

Do you have a hot sister with loose morals?

Maybe not the last question....

If you look after it (change the oil every 5k miles and don't pull wheelies or thrash it from cold and don't do lot's of short journeys on it) it will easily do 100K miles.

Old 08-08-2015, 04:40 AM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ask if the engine or tranny has ever been opened up for anything. Any records of maintenance? (Even Receipts)
is it leaking? if so, from where?
If it's got straight pipes either it has an S&S E or someone has worked on the stock carb.

Yes, it's a good indication if it idles and runs well that it is what he says. If you start it, put your fingers on the rear head fins. when they're warm you can take off. Pay attention to your mirror to see if you have blue smoke coming out on accel or decel. the valve guide seals may be shot if it sat for a really long time. (Yes, it's supposed to shake like that in the frame..hehe)

Try and get it for 4K. There aren't that many people out there looking for EVO's. Understand that you're going to have to open up the cam chest sooner than later and that's going to cost a few bucks. New lifters, (Not HD or screaming eagle) inner cam bearing. Optional: an andrews ev-27, S&S E, S&S steel breather gear, Andrews adjustable push rods, Jims or S&S lifters and a reasonable exhaust. hehe it adds up QUICK!

Happy motoring!

Old 08-08-2015, 05:13 AM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 556 Likes on 308 Posts

Bottom line, it's used. You may or may not have a problem. If you are going to take a trip shortly after you buy it, make sure you have the funds to tow it from your furthest point of your trip back to home and or have the funds for repairs while on the road.

If you can only afford the bike, roll the dice and go on your trip anyway. I've done things in life like that, you only live once don't let it pass you by.

Sounds like a fair deal if it appears to be in good condition. Also think about common sense, he may or may not tell you the truth about anything that may be bad on it.

Worse case, you by the bike for 4K, the engine totally goes south, for another 4K you could probably replace the engine and still have less money invested than a new Sporster.

Old 08-08-2015, 05:43 AM
RLH3175
Stellar HDF Member

Received 2,406 Likes on 902 Posts

I bought my 1996 EVO with 72,200 miles 2 years ago, it now has 86,400 miles, uses no oil, drips no oil, runs great even with the M&M injection.
Check it out but don't be afraid of 40,000 miles.

Old 08-08-2015, 05:53 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Spanners39
40K is not high miles if it hasn't been owned by a complete idiot who never changed the oil. Lifters are due to be changed at 50K and you'll probably want to fiddle with stuff while you are in there.

If it starts and runs OK it probably is OK as they are very simple bikes and trouble is usually pretty easy to spot.

Questions to ask:

Is it still running a stock cam?

Has it had the inner cam bearing upgrade?

Why are you selling it?

When was the last service/oil change?

Do you have a hot sister with loose morals?

Maybe not the last question....

If you look after it (change the oil every 5k miles and don't pull wheelies or thrash it from cold and don't do lot's of short journeys on it) it will easily do 100K miles.
Hell man the last question is the most important!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-08-2015, 06:00 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Kayakeur
Local ad has an EVO 1999 Heritage, carb, $4500, 40,000 miles.
Original Owner. Ad says great condition, runs excellent, mechanically sound, long straight pipes, many long trips, never a problem, well taken care of, new Metzler 888 tires.

I'm ready to jump on it - it's even a color I like. (will put on quieter pipes)

But before I impulsively see it and buy it on the spot - which may be a good idea at $4500 - I want to ask you guys:

Is 16 years (1999) and 40,000 miles time for major maintenance or rebuild?
EVO questions to ask owner? (plus usual buying-used questions, signs of neglect, documentation).
If it starts up instantly from cold and runs normal for the length of a couple miles test ride, isn't that a pretty good sign of reasonable engine & trans condition?

Want it to be good enough condition (with a full maintenance) for 14-day solo ride next month Virginia, West Virginia, Georgia, Florida, return, camp sometimes. Want to ride a big twin instead of my Sportster.
And not break down. And keep it many years.

Thin wallet, price is very very right. My first big twin. Excited (calm down!)

Thanks for any advice.
Kayakeur Bud in Virginia
Aug 7, 2015

fwiw: pessimist me notes new tires nice but may mean old ones very old, and
40,000mi in 16 years is only 2,500 miles a year, probably many periods of time idle in storage.
But, hey, its a used bike not a 2015 !
Got a link to the add?

Old 08-08-2015, 06:10 AM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

Funny, if seller was asking $6000 little would say offer $4750 or walk. $4500 is a steal for an "runs excellent" bike.
Good luck with purchase!
Tom

Old 08-08-2015, 07:21 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts
Old 08-08-2015, 08:25 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
$4500 is a very good price. If I was in the market for another EVO (I'm not), I'd be looking closely at that. Even though I'm not a huge fan of Blue, the two tone looks good. I agree that the pipes need to go. I like a good sounding bike, not a good and loud sounding bike.

The only concerns are 'some dings'. Where? Tank? Fenders? Sheet metal is expensive. Matching paint is expensive. What one dude calls a 'ding' another may call a 'dent'.

Quick Reply: 1999 EVO Heritage, carb, 40,000mi Buy / Not Buy