Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,818 Likes on 3,320 Posts

You made out well. Great deal.....

Old 08-12-2015, 03:27 PM
RK El Guapo
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks!

Thanks everyone! I'm no master mechanic, but I want this bike to be the way I want it from the beginning. I really wanted to get a '97 RK, but there were none available at the time, and this was a pretty smokin' deal, so how was I supposed to say no?

Traildog, that is exactly the face my son made when he saw Barney roll out of the trailer into the front yard. I don't think he stopped laughing for almost 10 minutes. S'ok, though. There was plenty of yard work to be done that day...

My daughter was sad to see the purple go, but I told her if the Dyna doesn't sell in the next five years, she can have it pained any color she wants, even purple.

I was very lazy getting this whole rundown started, and this is just as much for my memory as it is for me showing off my crappy wrench skills. Eventually I'll get to replacing the motor and transmission, but that day will only come when I get some $$$ for the other bike.

I've got some more "Before" pics at work, but I'll have to upload them when i get some spare time.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:17 PM
RK El Guapo
Cruiser

So I finally got the fork tubes broken down, and I went ahead and set all the parts aside for powdercoat. I really, REALLY wanted to go with TPP, but I just couldn't justify the nearly double cost + shipping from Virginia both ways yet, so I figured I would at least give my local guy a shot. Tommy at T&L Powdercoating, 499 Reva Lane, Stanardsville, VA 22973. Phone: 434-985-6022. At the end of this, it'll either be a strong stamp of approval or a very public failure. I'm hoping for the former, but the ball is in their court.

Since I have so much to wait on, and I'd already gotten the bars and controls sorted out, it was time to move onto the exhaust. I went to J&P Cycles ordered a Thunderheader 1024BC exhaust, between it arrived, they sent a chrome muffler. To top it off, the muffler was already rusty inside and out! So, after some back and forth with J&P, I finally got them to ship it back and a new one out at no cost. Once the right pipes finally arrived, I immediately realized I had forgotten to order the exhaust flanges. The last time I ordered an exhaust (V&H Big Shot Duals from Direct Harley Parts), they came with new exhaust flanges. Oh well, lesson learned.

I had also ordered a set of Progressive 944-4002UT rear shocks, Progressive 31-2509 Monotube front shocks, a Pingel Power-flo 1311-CH Petcock(the original one was so very f'ed up), NKG Platinum spark plugs, a K&N oil filter, some S-100, DEI exhaust wrap, stainless ties, Hill Country Customes saddlebag support bracket, and some exhaust port gaskets, all from Amazon. I really thought the set would have cost more, but it really didn't.

A little later, I ended up having to order all my fluids, my new air filter, my shop manual (should have been my first purchase)and my turn signal bar from Ebay, and that worked out pretty ok so far. I'm still not a fan of it, but it seems to have worked. There's only a few items left that I am waiting on, like the shop manual.

Once this shindig is all said and done, Imma post a whole parts list broken down by vendor and price. It's the little things, right?

So as things started arriving, I was able to get started making new stuff happen. I started wrapping my headers, which is coming along pretty well. I pre-staged my front shocks, and I hung my rear shocks. Unfortunately, the guy who had it before me(maybe the guy before him) put on some lowering blocks, so in order to put the shocks on right, I had to remove them. Of course, that meant I needed new bottom bolts. Off to Lowes I went. This wasn't my first trip this project, but I really just didn't feel like going back for $4 worth of bolts. Too bad, I needed them.

I got my rear shocks mounted up properly, and I started wrapping my exhaust. I can't hang it yet because of a few things I'm still waiting on, but it's ok. I need to slow down a bit.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:42 PM
RK El Guapo
Cruiser
Default New Seat!

So I decided I want a matte black bike with touches of chrome and eventually some white pinstriping on both fenders, shadowed with red. One day, I'll have an 18/21 set with contrasting red and chrome wheels and big-*** whitewall tires. Skinny front tire has no business on this bike.

However, in going with this theme, I thought about my seat options. Some people like the tuck n' roll, some people like the red and white contrast vinyl. Not me. I am still a fan of old WLAs, and in keeping with that era, I went with bomber jacket brown. I thought about doing a spring seat, but that wouldn't put me as close to the frame as I wanted. So instead, I went with a Corbin Hollywood Solo. By doing so, I got the lowest seat I could find, and still kept the kind of leather I wanted. While I was at it, I bought a bit of extra leather of the same hide to use for a special project that should set this bike up as a one-of-a-kind.

I need some help, though. I am looking to get a set of bags made in the same color. I want them to have an outer look of classic, soft-side bags, but I need them to have a rigid or semi-rigid back, and I need them to be rain-resistant. To reach that end, I would need them to zip closed, with the zipper completely hidden from standard view with the larger flap that would fold over, as old-school bags did. The size of the bags would need to be a bit generous, as I actually use my bags to carry my rain gear, work clothes, emergency kit, spare gloves, sunglasses, helmet, and general oh-**** stuff. Anyone know of anyone who does this kind of work?

Old 08-12-2015, 07:49 PM
RK El Guapo
Cruiser

I'm at a bit of a work stoppage.

1- I need the brackets to hang by vertical exhaust hangers from, so I can attach the saddlebag support brackets.
2- I can't finish wrapping the exhaust until I dry-fit the exhaust to where it will need to be hung to ensure proper mounting alignment.
3- I can't install the new air filter or reattach the rest of the assembly together because I busted a damned breather bolt and am waiting for that to come in by mail.
4- I can't fill the shocks with oil (5oz 10wt each)because I am waiting for my lowers to return from powdercoat.
5- I can't reassemble the forks- same reason.
6- I can't finish routing the cables neatly because I am waiting for the nacelle to return from powdercoat.

I think it's time to drink beer ad clean the garage up again. Maybe I should list a bunch of stuff for sale not he board. I might make a buck or two.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:26 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Take a look at the older (S&S engine era) Indian saddlebags. They have fringe but it is easier to remove than add on.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:33 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

Wow.I like this project, a lot!
Did you score both bikes for your 2010? Well done, sir, well done indeed!
Tom

Old 08-13-2015, 05:16 AM
RK El Guapo
Cruiser

I'll look into the older Indian bags. I'm sure it would be cheaper than having a set custom made. Still, if you know of any good leather workers out there that do this kind of thing, lemme know!

Yeah, I got both bikes in a 2 for 1 deal. Apparently the guy really wanted a fuel injected because of fuel mileage, and he wanted cruise control. My bike was a FLHP. That thing only got 35mpg at best, and cruise control is a real pain to install on a cop bike. It costs A LOT to do it. I tried explaining these things before he drove out, but after I saw these two bikes, I just stayed quiet and closed the deal. If he didn't want to listen up front, it's not my job to force an education on the man.

I feel like, even though I am discovering little issues with the King all the time, it's still a better bike than the one I traded for it. I can understand how everything works. I can see what is right and what is wrong. If something is wrong, I feel pretty confident I can fix it myself. There's no damned computer between me and the bike. It's all mechanical, and that is something I can highly appreciate.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:42 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Cool thread. Cool work.

Quick Reply: My first Evo adventure