EVO All Evo Model Discussion

My first Evo adventure

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 08:54 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,818 Likes on 3,320 Posts

Is this the style you want to replicate. They are original Hd with plastic backs. Late nineties era.

Attached Thumbnails My first Evo adventure-20150131_130941.jpg   My first Evo adventure-20150131_130948.jpg  
Old 08-13-2015, 09:43 AM
RK El Guapo
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate the use of the terminology, but I'm looking for something more simple and "vintage-looking". When I think of saddlebags, I think of real saddlebags. The kind I used to throw over a horse when we went camping. They were leather, simple, and had a couple of straps with buckles to keep them closed. I will be the first to admit that they sucked at keeping the weather out. However, no one likes to ride a horse in the rain.

For the bike, I want something similar, but modernized. I need them to be able to accommodate a 3/4 helmet, but still seal up against the weather. Maybe waxed canvas-lined or something. Old saddlebags didn't have a good way of keeping the weather out of the top beyond a flap. That's why I'd want a zipper under the flap. Hidden, but effective.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:23 AM
RK El Guapo
Cruiser

Here's a couple more "Before" pics of the bike

Old 08-14-2015, 08:09 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

For your custom bags call Geoff at Antler Creek Cycle Leathers.
http://antler-creek.com/
He doesn't make them himself but he has a company that will make anything you want to order.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:18 PM
RK El Guapo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
For your custom bags call Geoff at Antler Creek Cycle Leathers.
http://antler-creek.com/
He doesn't make them himself but he has a company that will make anything you want to order.

Thanks for the suggestion. I am definitely looking for an American manufacturer. He seems to offer a big mix of American and imported goods. Hopefully he'll know of a good source.

In other news, last night I finished wrapping my exhaust. After I did, though, I found the band clamp that joins the muffler to the header is not big enough to fit around the pipes not that they're wrapped. It looks like I'll be heading out to lowers to get a stainless one.

My breather bolts and Service Manual arrived! When I went to install my breather bolts, I noticed something odd. I was pretty sure my air filter mount was supposed to have three bolts to attach the filter with, not just two. Well, not this one. Apparently the previous owner broke the rightmost one off and never replaced it. Like a great many parts on this bike, patched up or just glossed over, this one was out-of-sight/out-of-mind.

To top it off, I ordered the wrong size K&N air filter. If there's anyone who needs a K&N High-flow air filter, 3 1/2" thick, Part# E-3228, lemme know. I haven't decided whether or not I should go get different bolts or not yet, but I'm just frustrated with the "just good enough to pass a mil housing inspection"-level of care provided to this bike before I got it.

The good news is, after all is said and done, I'll know every little thing about the bike. No matter what, knowledge is golden.

Old 08-15-2015, 03:56 PM
RK El Guapo
Cruiser
Default Exhaust nuts

Exhaust nuts used to attach the headers to the exhaust ports via the header bolts are 5/16" x 24. I know this because I lost all bloody four of the ones I had and needed to buy more. so, there you have it. 5/16" x 24. You can get 'em in stainless at Lowes for $2.29/pair.

Also, lower doesn't carry a bigger pipe clamp like we need for a thunderheads exhaust that has been wrapped. However, you can get a 3" dia. T-bolt clamp made by Spectre. It's stainless, and it's on the race for attaching intake filters to intake pipes and throttle bodies. It's stainless and it fits so it's good in my book. My only concern is the high-temp rubber gasket that I ran under it to take up the little bit of slack. I am concerned bout it's ability to withstand the heat from the exhaust. Regardless, it was $5.99

For now, unless issues arise, the exhaust is done.

I found out the bolts that go through the air filter backing plate are not removable. So, that means my issue with having only two bolts to hold my filter on is bigger than I had previously thought. I hate buying parts that only work for now, then replacing them with better parts in the future. I'm much more a fan of the one-and-done process. If I do it right from the beginning, I know it's right for the future. So, knowing I was planning to do so in the future anyways, do I go ahead and upgrade to the Super E, or do I go track down a replacement backplate with the three bolts in it? If there was a replacement available for $20 or less, I'd likely pick it up.

Last edited by RK El Guapo; 08-15-2015 at 07:04 PM. Reason: better pic
Old 08-15-2015, 10:12 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,818 Likes on 3,320 Posts

Long pipes look funny without the bags..... nekked.....

Old 08-15-2015, 11:01 PM
Hebrew Battle Rifle
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I am enjoying this thread. Thanks for the updates.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:08 AM
RK El Guapo
Cruiser

I have the hard bags that came with the bike. They're in the same godawful purple, and I will be spraying them flat black as soon as I get my tins back and can positively math the shade/texture of them.

I actually hate the look of hard bags. To me, they take away so much of the silhouette with their plastic and rigidness. They are very utility-focused. That' why I'm looking for someone who has/makes soft leather bags with a hard backplate. It'll offset the ugly of the ***-end while still maintaining a trim profile and classic/vintage look.

Old 08-16-2015, 01:05 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,701 Likes on 1,156 Posts

"I found out the bolts that go through the air filter backing plate are not removable."

Just being nosy. what makes them not removable?

Enjoying the thread myself

WP

I have a plastic backing plate # 29101-89. The number corresponds to a 90 softtail but came to me in a basket case of a 97 RK.
Hollar if you think you can use it.

Last edited by WP50; 08-16-2015 at 01:37 PM. Reason: add

Quick Reply: My first Evo adventure