EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Lets argue carbs

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 04:37 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts
Default Lets argue carbs

I've been doing some engineering trying to figure out what my over-the-winter engine work on the FXR is going to entail, and I'm wondering about carbs.

For ordinary builds (mine is going to be stock stroke and hopefully stock bore assuming my jugs are ok, mild comp bump, probably stock pistons), what advantage is there to going S&S?

I'm really hoping there is a good answer because I think the teardrop air cleaner is totally badass and I'd love a reason to go that way, but I'm having a hard time finding a reason that my plain old CV won't work just fine or better.

So argue with me.

Old 08-21-2015, 04:48 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,492 Likes on 4,610 Posts

I suggest you ride a bike that has a Mikuni HSR 42 before you buy an S&S.

Old 08-21-2015, 05:05 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

If you wanted, couldn't you install an S&S Teardrop Air Cleaner Kit on your CV carb?
I find the stock Keihin CV carburetor on my '93 Fatboy reliable, easy to work on and it runs great even at different altitudes. I did make the typical changes to the carb:

Drilled out idle mixture screw
Changed Main Needle - N65C (27094-88 or sportster 88 XLH needle)
Changed Main Jet - 165 (27116-88)
Changed Pilot Jet - 45 (27170-89)
My original HD fuel inlet elbow broke, so I replaced it with a CV Performance Harley Fuel Inlet Single Piece Brass Elbow
http://www.cv-performance.com/harley...x-inlet-elbow/

I get at least 45 mpg and she starts and runs great.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:24 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,144 Likes on 6,211 Posts

The Mikuni is harder to get dialed in right, but once it is, it works well at all speeds with no hesitation between low and high speed.

S & S is popular because it is very easy to get right and is exceedingly simple.

The CV carb is good once you drill out the plug, and properly jet and adjust it. I like dynojet jet kits with a thunderslide in them while others hate them. To me it gives better throttle response that you don't necessarily see on a dyno. There are different dynojet kits, so it is important to choose the right one.

Older carburetors (prior the CV) were terrible and the compliance fittings were problematic.

I have a dynojet kit in my cv carb and it works great. Burns a little more gas than I would like, but when I twist the throttle, it pushes me back in my seat.

You can't go wrong with any of these three. The main thing is to stay away from those old crappy carburetors early Evo's came with.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:30 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

Super-E is awesome and easy. Mikuni has the odd appendage hanging off of it but awesome. None are worth the four large to upgrade just for kicks.
Just one man's opinion.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:30 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 651 Posts
Default Lets argue carbs

I have always stayed away from cv's because no matter what I did they always hiccuped and I hated the choke setup. I like the mikunis and I have always had ss carbs. I like the simplicity of the ss

Old 08-21-2015, 06:35 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
I've been doing some engineering trying to figure out what my over-the-winter engine work on the FXR is going to entail, and I'm wondering about carbs.

For ordinary builds (mine is going to be stock stroke and hopefully stock bore assuming my jugs are ok, mild comp bump, probably stock pistons), what advantage is there to going S&S?

I'm really hoping there is a good answer because I think the teardrop air cleaner is totally badass and I'd love a reason to go that way, but I'm having a hard time finding a reason that my plain old CV won't work just fine or better.

So argue with me.

Just put a teardrop on your CV if the air cleaner is all you want....I put an S&S A/C on my HS42 Mikuni because I think that the S&S teardrop is the best looking filter ever produced for a Harley.

Here's mine!

Old 08-21-2015, 06:42 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

In my experience (very limited) the S&S runs better than the CV hands down.
It out performs the CV in every area except mpg. I does use more gas than the CV.
I will toss the CV and get an S&S on every bike I plan on keeping.
Worth every penny to me.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:02 PM
traildog
Extreme HDF Member
Received 700 Likes on 352 Posts

I have gas.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:04 PM
RK El Guapo
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The choice for my rebuild/whatever

I've been working on my mess of a '96 Road King, and the Super E is what I've decided to go with. Though the CV has lasted this long, it has been through too many owners for me to trust. I COULD pull it apart and rebuild it, but it's just as much work for me to plan ahead and just install the Super E.

It didn't become the industry standard by being a POS. I figure this way I get new, trustworthy hardware on a bike I plan on riding the **** out of.

Quick Reply: Lets argue carbs