EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Scoring on newly reamed cam bushing

Old 08-29-2015, 08:34 AM
Lucky Luke
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
the early cam cover you can see the oil hole as it is a side oiler -
Are you sure that's not the other way around? I have a later (no feed pipe) and there's a damned obvious hole and instructions to drill out in the manual.

The original certain came with a hole.

It has a top trickle feed, overflow out along the nose of the cam, into the end of the cone behind the ignition, and then there's a return feed and a little hole at the bottom, underneath the camshaft.

See blue arrow below.

Dunno, what's going wrong with the world. I think a lot of its down to too many people, and too many distractions. I agree with you.

Folk don't have the same care and presence of mind. In an old fashioned small town, you could not afford to screw up on everyone because you'd be out of business, these days with big cities, there'll always be another 10,000 new folks to screw over tomorrow.

However, now we're official "obsolete", Evo-land is becoming smaller and smaller.

Attached Thumbnails Scoring on newly reamed cam bushing-score-final.jpg  

Last edited by Lucky Luke; 08-29-2015 at 08:37 AM.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:06 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucky Luke
Are you sure that's not the other way around? I have a later (no feed pipe) and there's a damned obvious hole and instructions to drill out in the manual.

The original certain came with a hole.

It has a top trickle feed, overflow out along the nose of the cam, into the end of the cone behind the ignition, and then there's a return feed and a little hole at the bottom, underneath the camshaft.

See blue arrow below.

Dunno, what's going wrong with the world. I think a lot of its down to too many people, and too many distractions. I agree with you.

Folk don't have the same care and presence of mind. In an old fashioned small town, you could not afford to screw up on everyone because you'd be out of business, these days with big cities, there'll always be another 10,000 new folks to screw over tomorrow.

However, now we're official "obsolete", Evo-land is becoming smaller and smaller.
Did you ever get your cam chest fixed or are you still waiting for the guy that messed it up to get it right?

Old 08-29-2015, 09:51 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,518 Likes on 2,862 Posts

i read pinion shaft someplace and was responding to that as the oil pump only sends oil to the pinion NOT the cam shaft as it is splash fed with oil only both ends

and yes the cam bushing could have had a hole in it at 12 oclock as it intersects to the cover opening at 12 oclock - it is a drip feed system

sorry for the confusion i wont help

Last edited by johnjzjz; 08-29-2015 at 09:54 AM.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:55 AM
Lucky Luke
Banned

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Did you ever get your cam chest fixed or are you still waiting for the guy that messed it up to get it right?
One week or ignored emails and no call backs so far.

Yes, the pinion shaft gets the high pressure oil feed to its nose, and then feeds the bottom end inside the crankcases too. Loose that and you are screwed.

What causes circular grooving on the pinion shaft nose? Is it normal, or something historically nasty in the oil?

Thanks.

Last edited by Lucky Luke; 11-01-2015 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:42 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,695 Likes on 1,985 Posts

One week or ignore emails and no call backs so far.

Yes, the pinion shaft gets the high pressure oil feed to its nose, and then feeds the bottom end inside the crankcases too. Loose that and you are screwed.

What causes circular grooving on the pinion shaft nose? Is it normal, or something historically nasty in the oil?

Thanks.

My pinion shaft had a groove cut on it that looked like a screw thread. It was caused by a piece of the failed tappet needle bearings that passed through the engine.

This was the reason I had to have my first engine in the '94 Heritage rebuilt. New pinion shaft=lower end job.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:38 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
As a businessman, my sense is you'll know right away where you stand.

If the shop has even a shred of integrity, once they see what they did, they will be humiliated and shamed beyond recognition and do everything they possibly can to make it right. It's not like this is some sort of borderline judgement call situation. That's a phenomenal screwup.

In that sense, my advice (not like you asked, but hey. It's the internet) is to approach them "gently". Don't go in breathing fire. Give them a chance to do the right thing. I'd define "the right thing" as they pay shipping both ways, pay for the replacement bushing, ream it correctly, turn the job around the same day they receive it, and (if it were me) send you a $20 Visa gift card just because.

But if they give you even the slightest pushback, then wash your hands of them, contest the charge on your card, and find another shop.

One thing I will say is that no one gets better service from us than the guy who's order we previously screwed up.
0maha, this is exactly how I handle things as well.

I've been running businesses for years and despite the best controls, sometimes mistakes happen. I gauge a business on how they handle the mistakes/bad things. If my business turned this out, I'd bend over backwards to make sure the OP is taken care of with the proper job he paid for, I'd give him something for his troubles, parts/more service free/discount, something to try to retain his business in the future, and I'd see where the failure was in my shop to ensure this doesn't happen again.

I always give the owner a chance to do what I'd do. Then if they don't, I don't pay and I NEVER return.

OP if you've not received a call back in a week, I'd deny the charges on my credit card. Hopefully it was AMEX so they take the money back out of his account. That'll get his attention. Or not, either way, you will have your money back.

My experience is businesses that follow a policy of handling mistakes as I've described last a long time. Those that don't, won't make it past 5 years. You can only screw people over so long before it catches up to you. Conversely if you've been in business 20 years you're doing something right and you're not going to be perfect 100% of the time so you are obviously taking care of your mistakes.

Old 11-01-2015, 05:41 PM
Lucky Luke
Banned

Originally Posted by 0maha
If the shop has even a shred of integrity, once they see what they did, they will be humiliated and shamed beyond recognition and do everything they possibly can to make it right. It's not like this is some sort of borderline judgement call situation. That's a phenomenal screwup.

In that sense, my advice (not like you asked, but hey. It's the internet) is to approach them "gently".
Thanks. I did so and it paid off. And you are right, it was worse than a phenomenal screwup.

As an epilogue to this story, the shop came up good. Held their hands up and threw in some extras, e.g. giving the crankcases a free bead blast, swopping the shim on the cam, and doing some other work.

As it is, I am still waiting on other work to be finished and so the time delay is no hassle.

But I don't think I'll be going back to them.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:36 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Thanks. I did so and it paid off. And you are right, it was worse than a phenomenal screwup.

As an epilogue to this story, the shop came up good. Held their hands up and threw in some extras, e.g. giving the crankcases a free bead blast, swopping the shim on the cam, and doing some other work.

As it is, I am still waiting on other work to be finished and so the time delay is no hassle.

But I don't think I'll be going back to them.
I hope they do the other work with more quality than they did the first time.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:24 PM
traildog
Extreme HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by spanners39
this....

tranny!

Old 11-11-2015, 11:57 AM
Lucky Luke
Banned

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
I hope they do the other work with more quality than they did the first time.
Ha. And the result is ... not. Amazingly not. I think it's actually worse. Here's what real H-D life is like these days. I've been watching the latest Walking Dead series, and I'm starting to think the plague has started and is spreading through independent bike shops. Notably, "the biker" character in WD doesn't ride a Harley-Davidson. I'm not surprised if the Zombie tech services I'm getting are anything to go by.

By law, I had to give them a chance to resolve their failings and, unbelievably, they've only made it worse and give me more to do.
Cam bushing is almost as badly grooved (and it's not conscious scrolling or anything).
Pinion shaft bushing, which was just fine, was replaced but recessed this time (by the manual they are supposed to be flush with the boss).
One crankcase bolt came back with threads full of metal (having stripped out the helicoil or alloy).
Cases had been bead blasted as a "favor", but then put back in the plastic packing while still wet -- meaning they were all oxidized by the time I got them, still wet and still covered with duct tape glue. The blasting was patchy as hell rendering it pointless.
Oh, well, we'll be off to court to get a new one paid for now, I suppose.

At least in the meanwhile I've been given time to have some more de-chroming done, snipe some Ebay bargains, and shape and polish ugly welds and edges off the t-bars, bumpers, engine mounts etc. There's a load of weld splatter all over the frames and fabricated pieces if you look closely. I guess it's where the rust starts.

It'll look nice once/if/when it is finished but it's looking like it's going to be a full winter's wait now.

Attached Thumbnails Scoring on newly reamed cam bushing-dscn6213.jpg   Scoring on newly reamed cam bushing-dscn6214.jpg   Scoring on newly reamed cam bushing-dscn6215.jpg   Scoring on newly reamed cam bushing-dscn6211.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Scoring on newly reamed cam bushing