EVO All Evo Model Discussion

I need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 02:27 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Dump your mechanic. Sounds like an idiot.

There are a lot of EVOs out there for sale right now at good prices. Choose carefully (maybe not purple)

carl

Old 08-26-2015, 02:32 PM
fatboy slim
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carlgrover

There are a lot of EVOs out there for sale right now at good prices. Choose carefully (maybe not purple)

carl
Whats wrong with purple exactly?

Old 08-26-2015, 03:13 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by fatboy slim
Whats wrong with purple exactly?
My question is what is right with it???

Not sure why you like purple but then again its your bike so you can have whatever you want.
Be prepared to be teased about it though..

Old 08-26-2015, 03:14 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by carlgrover

carl

Old 08-26-2015, 08:06 PM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 192 Posts

Welcome aboard! By the way these guys are really good at helping you, spend a lot of money, fix whatever needs fixing, upgrades, and getting you back in the wind, to spend more money, riding an old, well maintained and rebuilt, EVO!
Good Luck!

Old 08-26-2015, 09:30 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,146 Likes on 6,211 Posts
Default I need help

Besides being simple and as straight forward as an old tractor, there is something else about Evo's. The people that ride them tend to be more helpful, less uptight, less weekend pirate SOA types playing dress up, more ordinary fun loving folks that will give you the shirt off their back without being asked. Countless times on this very forum I have seen people give someone a part for free to help a guy out.

No, I am not bashing twin cammers. It is just a broad observation. Evo riders also tend to laugh at themselves and not take themselves too seriously.

With Evo's, the reliability and quality is there without being complicated. And everything is rebuildable.

When I go somewhere, most of the bikes are newer twin cammers, yet my bike garners a lot of attention. Not from a flashy paint job or goofy enormous front wheel or anything. It is just the fact that here is this older bike in great shape that sounds ten times better than the newer bikes while utilizing low tech stuff like a carburetor.

Again, not taking away from the TC's, but I guess it also reminds people of simpler better times, which is what drew most of us to HD in the first place.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:32 PM
back
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't speak to the TC as I have never owned or even ridden one. Don't want to. To me the essence of a Harley is lost when you start adding complex electronics and such. The whole mystique of HD is the owners in the past were always motorcycle people. They pretty much all worked on their own bikes and that is why you see (or used to see) almost every HD being a little removed from stock. The rugged simplicity of them is what a HD was. Now, I like to work on complex German cars, so the complexity of the TC is not scary in the least to me.....but for some reason whatever it is that keeps me interested in the Harleys (I have owned sport biked on and off too over the years) I know ends with the TC. They just seem not much different than the metric cruisers IMHO. I have noticed the TC bikes and the people who own them....have pretty much gone in a different direction than what the brand and their riders used to be. But alas, you want to know mechanically if the evo is good. They are simple and fairly reliable..but you have to not mind knowing and doing a little work yourself. If your toolbox is your checkbook, you may not want an evo...or even a HD. But if your indy is a HD guy and I doubt he is by the frown on evo's he will likely have good things to say about evos. Good bikes.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:17 AM
stephtell
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
My question is what is right with it???

Not sure why you like purple but then again its your bike so you can have whatever you want.
Be prepared to be teased about it though..
Maybe a purple bike matches his helmet?

Old 08-27-2015, 04:02 AM
fatboy slim
Road Master

The mechanicals is not really a problem for me, unless it's a massive job like taking the engine out as I struggle a bit with the old arthritis, which is why more often than not I have someone do the work for me. I am trained to a basic level and qualified to do the yearly road worthiness check here in the UK.
I thought I'd found a really good indy guy and he serviced my RK for me a few days ago. He sounded like he knew what he was talking about, and to add to that he is a nice person. But he checked the trans oil with the bike on the side stand, so when I got it back I had to take 300ml out of it. He swore that a 2005 RK is check on the stand but I said no, RTFM.
Anyhow, it was him I was asking about the EVO softy. There are 2 at a dealers about 2 hours ride away, and I set off this morning but it was raining so hard I couldn't see the road, so have postponed it until the weather here calms down a bit.
The last few times I've changed a bike I've had a crossover between buying and selling, just so I don't make a huge mistake, and then sold on after I'm sure I'm happy, but now it's the wrong time of year to be selling, so Maybe I'll get a good cash deal on one of the ones I have my eye on and then sell one of the TCs next year in the spring.
This is all subject to a test ride of course, I might not even like an Evo, but I am secretly praying that I do.

Oh and just to add to that my G/F said this morning it was about time I bought a real Harley, because the new one (Deluxe) sounds like every other bike on the road, not as good even as the blue one (RK).

Old 08-27-2015, 04:10 AM
fatboy slim
Road Master

Originally Posted by stephtell
Maybe a purple bike matches his helmet?
Very funny.

It goes back 30 years to when I was at an impressionable age. Some character had an old purple Harley, and he was just like this bike hero in the area.

Besides that, I like purple.

Quick Reply: I need help