Club Member

Received 14,139 Likes on 6,210 Posts

Most of us ride by feel, especially Evo and Shovels

We also know these engines do not have s fifteen thousand rpm redline

Old 09-01-2015, 04:54 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

The bikes have a rev limiter also, so unless you are drag racing where hitting the rev limiter will hurt your ET, you've got it to rely on. As Prot said, I have a tach and I very seldom look at it, you learn to drive by sound and feel. Redline is only 5200 so there's not much to work with compared to other bikes.

That said if you want a tach, you're correct that a handlebar mount is the way to go. I have a tank mount split gauge and it's pretty useless for the tach portion as I don't like to take my eyes off the road long enough to watch it. I like the handlebar clamp mount of the police road kings, you might look at that mount. Drag specialties makes a little tach that you can mount on the handlebar anywhere you want as well. I had one and it was good.

As far as the turn signals...I'd suggest you get the new lens. When you see how much brighter the indicators are, I frankly think you'll get used to glancing down to see if they are on. I think you'll get used to knowing if they are on or off, once I could see mine, it was fine. That'll save you some wiring and hassle.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:55 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
The bikes have a rev limiter also, so unless you are drag racing where hitting the rev limiter will hurt your ET, you've got it to rely on. As Prot said, I have a tach and I very seldom look at it, you learn to drive by sound and feel. Redline is only 5200 so there's not much to work with compared to other bikes.

That said if you want a tach, you're correct that a handlebar mount is the way to go. I have a tank mount split gauge and it's pretty useless for the tach portion as I don't like to take my eyes off the road long enough to watch it. I like the handlebar clamp mount of the police road kings, you might look at that mount. Drag specialties makes a little tach that you can mount on the handlebar anywhere you want as well. I had one and it was good.

As far as the turn signals...I'd suggest you get the new lens. When you see how much brighter the indicators are, I frankly think you'll get used to glancing down to see if they are on. I think you'll get used to knowing if they are on or off, once I could see mine, it was fine. That'll save you some wiring and hassle.
That's what I'm running on mine and I agree that it is a good little tach.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:24 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

I have nothing constructive to add...just a comment that I still HATE the stupid HD turn signal control setup and would gladly go through the aggravation of re-wiring my bars if someone only made a Japanese-style three-way switch that fits correctly.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:27 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by 0maha
I have nothing constructive to add...just a comment that I still HATE the stupid HD turn signal control setup and would gladly go through the aggravation of re-wiring my bars if someone only made a Japanese-style three-way switch that fits correctly.
It is a waste of space now that you mention it. And if you look at modern bikes, the controls are starting to hang down so low, between cruise, navigation, iPod sound system, etc that you need ape hangers to keep the controls from rubbing your knees! I'm surprised they haven't made a simple blinker switch like my 1972 Honda 500 Four, it was small but worked great. Then they can use those huge switches for the seat vibromassage or the foot rub or whatever else there is now.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:45 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

I haven't seen one in person, but I understand that even BMW has gone to the single, left hand, three-way switch setup.

And IIRC the MoCo used that setup on the Buells.

And from what I can tell, the new "Street" models use them too.

I get that a big part of the HD gestalt is based on stubbornly clinging to old technology, but this is one area where I wish they would make an exception.

The three-way switch setup is just plain better. Among other things (getting back to this thread), you never have to look down to know whether or not they are on. If you want them to be on, turn them on. If you want them to be off, turn them off. Never any guesswork.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:55 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

0maha perfect word there.

And you're dead on - on or off you always know. HD's way is just silly.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:00 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
The three-way switch setup is just plain better. Among other things (getting back to this thread), you never have to look down to know whether or not they are on. If you want them to be on, turn them on. If you want them to be off, turn them off. Never any guesswork.
Personally I like the HD way as I no longer have to worry about leaving the turn signals on (or forgetting to turn them off whichever).

They are also easier to operate with winter gloves on.

JMO.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:30 AM
upland117
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also hated looking down at the tank dash so I bought a Yankee Engineuity base camp with LED indicator lights. Plenty bright enough and easy to see without looking down. Little pricy though.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:34 AM
Kayakeur
Tourer
Location: Eastern foothills of Shenandoah Mountains, Virginia
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

HD's turn signal arrangement is potentially deadly. I think that in many crashes the HD signal setup had to have been a contributing factor and sometimes the critical factor. Predictability = safety. Car drivers will think a bike is going to turn -or go straight - based on the bike's lights. If the motorcycle goes differently than it signals, that's a high risk of crash.

Don't recent-years Harleys have a “ lean & return to vertical “ sensor? And some Euro-J metrics? What about installing one on an Evo?

Quick Reply: Turn signal indicator light, re-locate and dim- FLSTC evo 1999