EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Turn signal indicator light, re-locate and dim- FLSTC evo 1999

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 05:05 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

I agree turn signals are an important safety item. I also use hand signals too at times...but I think other drivers have no idea what I'm doing particularly signaling a right turn. I figure at least if they see me waving my arm like a fool perhaps they'll think I'm up to something and slow down.

Your bike has a turn signal canceler that works off of your speedometer and time.

Mine works great, so did my 1995 Evo. It stays on forever when stopped, good long time going slow, and turns off pretty quick at highway speeds.

Maybe yours isn't working? You can get them used too.

It's part number 17 in the diagram below.

68540-96 MODULE, TURN SIGNAL CANCELLER 1 $120.99

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....UIT%20BREAKERS

Old 09-03-2015, 05:16 AM
Owtlaw
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Kayakeur
[COLOR=#000000][SIZE=3]
Don't recent-years Harleys have a “ lean & return to vertical “ sensor? And some Euro-J metrics? What about installing one on an Evo?
No, and they wouldn't work due to centrifugal force. The effective gravitational force on a leaning motorcycle is parallel with the bike, not perpendicular to the ground. Bank angle sensors on newer bikes cut the motor off when the bike is down.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:22 AM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Just a suggestion, how about mirrors with the turn signal integrated into them. There are some with blinker indicator LED's in the glass towards the rider side for easy viewing. Some have them pointing forward to oncoming traffic as well, some have both.

I also prefer the 3 way switch on my Vulcan vs the Glide. Gets a bit confusing sometimes as I switch back and forth often. And my Glide doesn't always act the same by self canceling, sometimes it works, sometimes not. But since my Vulcan doesn't have self canceling I am constantly checking blinker status anyways. Just a habit the carries over on both rides. What's really annoying is when it does self cancel before I actually get into the turn. Sitting at red light waiting, more often than not I will look down and blinker is not running anymore before light turns green. Leads me to think there is a timer function in there somewhere as well?

Last edited by DeputyLoud; 09-03-2015 at 07:27 AM.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:24 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by DeputyLoud
Just a suggestion, how about mirrors with the turn signal integrated into them. There are some with blinker indicator LED's in the glass towards the rider side for easy viewing. Some have them pointing forward to oncoming traffic as well, some have both.
Great suggestion, plus, you will look like Jax Teller!

I personally have the HD split view mirrors with the small spot mirrors on the end. I got used to the spot mirrors driving a furniture delivery truck and I can't live without them.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:49 AM
Kayakeur
Tourer
Location: Eastern foothills of Shenandoah Mountains, Virginia
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Predictability = safety. Car drivers will think a bike is going to turn -or go straight - based on the bike's lights.
If there is no such thing as 'lean and return to vertical', arrgggh.

Last edited by Kayakeur; 09-04-2015 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:03 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Kayakeur
Predictability = safety. Car drivers will think a bike is going to turn -or go straight - based on the bike's lights.
If there is no such thing as 'lean and return to vertical', arrgggh.
Buddy I think you're over thinking it. Get a new lens so you can see your indicators, and verify that your factory designed canceler is working, or replace it, and then learn how it works and just check. That's what I and many others do as well.

Custom Dynamics LED bulbs & run turn brake controller are great additions to the bike from a safety standpoint as well.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:59 PM
Kayakeur
Tourer
Location: Eastern foothills of Shenandoah Mountains, Virginia
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

yeah, 'overthunk', could put it in my sig
thx