Newbie 87' XLH883 RPM/MPH question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 09:33 AM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by traildog
That's IT! As soon as I hit the 500 mile mark, I'm "banging my rev limiter."

Hmmmm.....sounds fun........bwaaaaaaaaaa!
Bang OFF not bang it. Put the seafoam down.
Originally Posted by RadarRyder
Thanks Doc! And thanks to everyone else! Rode it into work today I really pushed the RPM's and was amazed how fast I could get it up before it stopped giving me any more power in each gear.

Keeping her higher up in the RPM range than I was seemed to help a bit with the low speed (40mph) rear end shimmy/wobble I get on one leg of the route I take to work. I traded some items for from an old fella at work who is retireing next year who has a road king and a dyna, so it sat in his garage for a good long while thinking maybe the tire has a flat spot.

Anyway, Doc if you ever find yourself around Vandy send me a PM I'll buy you a brew and talk shop!
Just remember that you don't have to wring its neck all the time... just shift when it feels right. Most importantly, don't listen to how most other harley riders shift... most are incompetent morons who run around lugging their engines and grabbing 5th gear before they even hit 50mph.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:45 AM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,815 Likes on 1,760 Posts

RadarRider

"shimmy/wobble at 40"

Look for the date code on those tires, it'll be four numbers, first two-week, second two-year.
Look at the sidewalls and inside the tread for cracking.

Unless they really look good and not over three years old, probably best to just replace both, check bearings while your at it.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:10 AM
falconbrother
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

When you get used to it punch that 883 out to a 1200. It's easy and makes a lot more power.

Old 09-02-2015, 12:46 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,689 Likes on 1,341 Posts

Don't get over to TN much.

Not sure what your wobble problem is, but it shouldn't do that. It is a light bike, and it is subject to rain grooves or other road irregularities more so than a big heavy bike like mine. Tires can make a huge difference. I have Metzler lazertechs or something (used to be called Mezlaser) on Dr.L's now. Fantastic tire. Especially the front. Rain grooves will no longer be a problem with those tires. The sport bike guys used to run those as a rain tire for racing. Don't know if they still do. Make sure your wheel bearings are good. They should be re-packed with each tire change, at a minimum.

Old 09-02-2015, 02:52 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Tire wobble can be caused by worn out bearings.
I'd have that checked.

Old 09-02-2015, 05:12 PM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 192 Posts
Default Newbie 87' XLH883 RPM/MPH question...

Check your swing arm.
Listen to the engine. It'll tell you you when it's time to shift. Between screaming and chugging is where you want to shift.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:19 PM
traildog
Extreme HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by tmanbuckhunter
Bang OFF not bang it. Put the seafoam down.

BWAAAAAAA!!! Thanks Tman! It's been a loooooooong day and I needed that..........

Old 09-03-2015, 08:00 AM
RadarRyder
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Schex3x
RadarRider

"shimmy/wobble at 40"

Look for the date code on those tires, it'll be four numbers, first two-week, second two-year.
Look at the sidewalls and inside the tread for cracking.

Unless they really look good and not over three years old, probably best to just replace both, check bearings while your at it.

They're 2011's. Front is a Harley brand tire and is showing cracks near where the rim meets the tire. The Rear is a dunlop 491, show no cracks but are also 2011's. I traded an Ak and an Ruger Old vaquero with dual cylinders for the bike to a guy I work with who is about to retire. He had 4 bikes and I'm running out of room in my gun safe.

He told me he would start it and let it run a bit weekly to cycle the oil but only ride it a few miles every other month so it sat in his garage on tires for at least 5 years. Speedo shows 6k miles and looks stock with the wear one would expect but he's only owned it for 15 yrs. I'm thinking maybe a flat spot, but definitely am going to be replacing them next week.

Tonight when I get home, depending on how things in the OR and ED go, will put it up on my hydraulic jack and check rear wheel for bearing wobble and run it against a pencil.

Last night I cleaned the chain with a wire brush and some wd40, rode it till chain heated up to work off the WD40, and when cool again lubed it with royal blue chain lube.

Have noticed what looks like a tiny tiny seep of oil from the top of the head and noticed the clutch cable has a light sheen of gear oil when I run my finger over it.

So far since I've gotten it I've rebuilt and cleaned the carb replacing all the rubber,replaced the petcock, replace pretty much all rubber hoses, seals, and boot ad well as ham can air filter. Flushed and changed the gear oil. Fixed a seeping brake line by replacing the banjo bolt and seal, with fill and bleed. Flushed the oil, mixed some sea foam in the fresh oil ran a tank of Shell w/techron 91oct with seafoam through her. Then quickly drained and sucked all the oil out of the engine with an electric pump, then flushed it with fresh Castrol Vtwin 20-50 till clear.

Plugs come away clean as a whistle with slight whiteish dusting so, so far so good, if anyone has any other suggestions on what else you might recommend a sat up bike mike need this noob is all ears. I'm Hungry to hit the Natchez Trace and a side of grease...Maybe dragons tail later in the fall when I get some time away from Vandy...

Old 09-03-2015, 08:05 AM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The oil seep from the head could be a rockerbox gasket; it's common.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:22 AM
RadarRyder
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also this was a little graduation gift to myself for finishing the Harley Riding Academy MSF...My 1/2 helmet bit into my forehead with the liner in and my 2/3 is too damn hot right now. Anyway here's my new helmet and the Bike in question...

Quick Reply: Newbie 87' XLH883 RPM/MPH question...