S&S Super G or MIKUNI HSR 45?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 02:46 AM
stephtell
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts
Default S&S Super G or MIKUNI HSR 45?

Goodmorning!

I'm sorting through some bits and pieces, trying to allocate certain parts for certain builds.

Next year I'll start building up my Electra Glide hot rod bike which will be fitted with a 98 CI S&S stroker that's sat here gathering dust.

I've got two carbs here and I'm wondering which one you'd fit with the sole objective of performance and respons, so gasmileage, easy of maintenance and looks are of no concern.

The S&S Super G or the HSR 45?

I've got both on the shelf so cost is also not a factor.

And now we're on the subject of carbs anyway:

I'm in the proces of buying a turbocharged dragster (non Harley) which is fitted an S&S Super E or B (not sure yet) and a thunderjet.
It makes 285 BHP ATW on a conservative dyno and is restricted powerwise because the carb is jetted with the largest jets and won't give enough fuell for more BHP.

If I'd fit a super D, would that give more fuell as well as having a large throat or is it still on the same size max. jetsize as the E and/or B?

Ultimately I'll just fit a double Super B setup so it'll easily make the power I'm after but I'm just curious is all.

Thanks for your opinions!

Old 09-06-2015, 07:48 AM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

Forgive the ignorance but why would you consider two carbs with no accelerator pump?

Old 09-06-2015, 08:05 AM
stephtell
Tourer

Errr....both do have an accelerator pump?

Old 09-06-2015, 08:45 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I'm not quite sure how they compare. I have a G on my S&S 107" engine, but the more recent 111" comes with an E. Kind of suggests that a G should be up to the mark, for a high performer. Can't comment on an HSR as I've never used one.

I know a chap over here who swapped the G on his S&S 124" for a D, but he did tune it for both street and track, with something over 160HP.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:00 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,547 Likes on 3,057 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
I'm not quite sure how they compare. I have a G on my S&S 107" engine, but the more recent 111" comes with an E. Kind of suggests that a G should be up to the mark, for a high performer. Can't comment on an HSR as I've never used one.

I know a chap over here who swapped the G on his S&S 124" for a D, but he did tune it for both street and track, with something over 160HP.
I think you'll find the guys running 'E's are looking for the torque where the guys running the 'G's are looking for top end performance.

(Same thinking on the Mikuni 42 vs 45.)

Old 09-06-2015, 09:04 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

That logic makes good sense, however my engine is a V107T, 'touring' engine and gives a great torque curve, not much different from a 111". Both use the same 585 cam IIRC, which I always thought was a bit on the wild side (and mine was when new), but it's a dream of a ride these days!

Old 09-06-2015, 09:07 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,547 Likes on 3,057 Posts

You'll have greater intake velocity with the 1 7/8" throat vs the 2" on the bigger carb by my way of thinking.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:16 AM
Hasher
Road Captain
Received 331 Likes on 180 Posts

Both are good carbs but, I've found the Mikuni to be more responsive.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:58 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown

An S&S Tech explained to me once that the E gives better response at the bottom end and the G gives better response at the top end.
Since most people don't come close to the top end they went with the E to make it more responsive for the average rider.

Lets be honest how often do you go WOT??
I like doing it every once in a while but I don't do it very often.

Old 09-06-2015, 11:01 AM
stephtell
Tourer

Makes sense, the smaller carbs making more torque and the larger ones more power.

I have an E, G (and maybe even a D but I'd have to check) and HSR 45 so I can use any of those but I don't feel like setting all three of them up on the dyno to compare and then pick one...

The dragbike will receive the largest one in due time, maybe the G would be good on that...

No-one on the jet sizes?

Quick Reply: S&S Super G or MIKUNI HSR 45?