EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Scored a nice '84 FXRP today

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 04:54 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Any extra kick stands in that box of parts? I need one...bad. What else was in the box of parts.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:07 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

is that the chain oil bath set up I used to read about on the shovel forum? My shovel was belt belt. I thought I read the chain bath was hard to get parts for, but what do I know....I like belt drive until time to replace it an you have to pull the primary.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:18 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Originally Posted by Hogpro
Any extra kick stands in that box of parts? I need one...bad. What else was in the box of parts.
No extra kick stands....But I am going to post a step by step fix for the FXR kick stand problem that I have had on every FXR I ever owned.
You know the one...The slot wallows out and then the tab bends and the bike leans further and further over until it almost wants to fall over.

I fixed it on my '89 and my brothers '92 and a few others that came into the shop and I never had to mess with the kickstand again.

The boxes of parts were misc. covers, an extra primary cover, an extra cam cover, the floorboard set, a bunch of clutch cables, extra electrical side covers, extra tins (gas tank, fenders and dash stuff) an extra oil tank, a couple of sets of the rubber trim for the dash including the very had to locate rubber rings for around the gas filler neck. stock FXRP handle bars and risers, an HS42 Mikuni carb, a bunch of brake pads, an extra set of heads and barrels and a couple of Cometic gasket sets, a couple of axles....All of the things that I usually have to search for when I build an FXR.

There's a lot of cool stuff there and there are still a couple of small boxes that I haven't gotten around to opening yet.

Originally Posted by langwilliams
is that the chain oil bath set up I used to read about on the shovel forum? My shovel was belt belt. I thought I read the chain bath was hard to get parts for, but what do I know....I like belt drive until time to replace it an you have to pull the primary.

Yeah, that's the oil bath chain setup, They are VERY hard to find in decent condition....This one is like new (Bike only has 22,000 original miles on it)
At some point I'll take the oil bath thing off and put an O-ring chain on there and either sell the setup or save it for an eventual complete OEM restoration.

Who knows?

I don't mind replacing the rear belt on an FXR, I've done so many of them that it only takes a couple of hours at the most, but the chain is certainly easier and faster.

Last edited by Greezey Rider; 10-12-2015 at 11:28 PM.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:57 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor

Tell me about this kickstand fix. This is my first FXR and glad to hear I am not the only one with kick stand issues.

Old 10-13-2015, 03:01 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member

This is the kickstand bracket in the frame, Note the position so that when you look at the next picture you can visualize the bracket as it would look in the frame.

This is the bracket itself....I drew a half assed picture of what you're gonna need to do, It's pretty simple.

Old 10-13-2015, 03:04 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor

Thank you. Exactly what I need. My FXR is all aftermarket so I'll avhe to see if the kickstand bracket is part of the frame or a separate piece when I get home. It's been on the lift for about a week already.

Old 10-13-2015, 03:12 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member

It's part of the frame, the bracket in the photo is an OEM replacement one that has to be welded in after removing the original one.
Every one that I've done has been in the frame when I did the modification.

I just use a piece of scrap metal of the right thickness and shape it and weld the little bastard in, paint it and put the inner primary back on.

Old 10-13-2015, 03:29 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor

Well, inner primary has to come again soon for the starter leak so that will be prime time to do this. Thanks again.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:18 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member

I got my tins back from the paint shop today, new handlebar switches and housings are here as are the new 14" T-Bars and the 39mm front end is on its way.
This bike might be on the ground by the first of the year.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:45 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,699 Likes on 1,154 Posts

Ok I am officially jealous

Bite Me

JK Good catch on this one Congrats

WP

Quick Reply: Scored a nice '84 FXRP today