EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Winter Project Came Early

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 01:14 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Never happened to me doing v-8's hope it don't happen on this project.
Just dropped off the heads and jugs yesterday, somewhat excited. Lots parts ordered also.

Old 11-22-2015, 01:23 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,555 Likes on 3,058 Posts

Have you checked the rear exhaust pipe yet for a crack? I rode down to Myrtle Beach and back a few years ago in 90 + degree heat, parking her just inside the garage late at night.

Next morning, it was exactly as you described. A burnt exhaust valve went down and didn't come back up. The culprit was a cracked Y pipe that had developed the day before and I didn't hear it.

In my case a new exhaust (2 into 1,) and a set of take off heads that the local Dealer was trying to get rid of ($100,) got me back on the road. (Just a thought.)

Old 11-23-2015, 05:48 PM
Owtlaw
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggy
Next morning, it was exactly as you described. A burnt exhaust valve went down and didn't come back up. The culprit was a cracked Y pipe that had developed the day before and I didn't hear it.
Interesting. I'll certainly check that very closely. Actually have a spare set of headers in the garage.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:14 PM
Owtlaw
Road Warrior

While I'm waiting for the new ring set, I made a couple of other small improvements.

I'd been using an idle jet that I was sure was too large... when I did the carb a couple of years ago, I noted that the idle jet was a 50, which is obviously too large. Also turning the A/F screw in all the way wouldn't make the bike stumble. I ordered some jets, but the darn thing ran so well and got decent mileage, so I never bothered changing it. If it ain't broke and all.

So this is my chance. I threw in a 48 jet, which still may be a little stout. I have a 45 in reserve just in case. I picked up a Yost quick adjustment screw to be able to adjust the A/F screw without getting third degree burns. I also ordered new packing along with the screw. The aftermarket is the only source for new packing, because from the factory, this is all behind a permanent plug that you are not supposed to mess with. So if you take out the plug, take out the screw, and lose the spring, washer, and o-ring in there, the MoCo will NOT sell you replacements. You can buy a new carb.

My original factory o-ring under the factory adjustment screw was pretty well toasted, so I was glad I got new packing. In my opinion this is a worthwhile upgrade if you are rebuilding your CV carb. The rebuild kits do NOT include the o-ring behind the screw, and I can't help but think that a messed up factory o-ring could cause some issues. So if you've gone through your CV and still can't dial it in... may be worth a look.

The first pic is my shiny new adjustment screw ready to go to work. The second is a shot of the Yost instruction sheet and a pic of a "special tool" needed to do the job. Made me chuckle.

Attached Thumbnails Winter Project Came Early-2015-11-22-09.19.48.jpg   Winter Project Came Early-2015-11-22-09.20.31.jpg  
Old 11-23-2015, 06:22 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Owtlaw
While I'm waiting for the new ring set, I made a couple of other small improvements.

I'd been using an idle jet that I was sure was too large... when I did the carb a couple of years ago, I noted that the idle jet was a 50, which is obviously too large. Also turning the A/F screw in all the way wouldn't make the bike stumble. I ordered some jets, but the darn thing ran so well and got decent mileage, so I never bothered changing it. If it ain't broke and all.

So this is my chance. I threw in a 48 jet, which still may be a little stout. I have a 45 in reserve just in case. I picked up a Yost quick adjustment screw to be able to adjust the A/F screw without getting third degree burns. I also ordered new packing along with the screw. The aftermarket is the only source for new packing, because from the factory, this is all behind a permanent plug that you are not supposed to mess with. So if you take out the plug, take out the screw, and lose the spring, washer, and o-ring in there, the MoCo will NOT sell you replacements. You can buy a new carb.

My original factory o-ring under the factory adjustment screw was pretty well toasted, so I was glad I got new packing. In my opinion this is a worthwhile upgrade if you are rebuilding your CV carb. The rebuild kits do NOT include the o-ring behind the screw, and I can't help but think that a messed up factory o-ring could cause some issues. So if you've gone through your CV and still can't dial it in... may be worth a look.

The first pic is my shiny new adjustment screw ready to go to work. The second is a shot of the Yost instruction sheet and a pic of a "special tool" needed to do the job. Made me chuckle.
That looks like a high dollar tool!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Are you sure you can afford it?????????

Old 11-24-2015, 01:40 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,700 Likes on 1,155 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
That looks like a high dollar tool!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Are you sure you can afford it?????????
I got a couple of spares here on the desk.
If he looses it But I do want them back from him.

WP

Old 11-28-2015, 02:12 PM
Owtlaw
Road Warrior

Slowly and deliberately coming together. I'd seriously starve to death if I did this for a living.

Attached Thumbnails Winter Project Came Early-2015-11-28-13.19.52.jpg  
Old 11-28-2015, 03:24 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Slowly and deliberately coming together. I'd seriously starve to death if I did this for a living.
Don't worry about it..
You have until April to finish it!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-28-2015, 04:08 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,700 Likes on 1,155 Posts

Interesting. I'll certainly check that very closely. Actually have a spare set of headers in the garage.
Outlaw I had completely forgotten but what Stiggy mentioned can and has happened. For me it was a cracked exhaust manifold on a 350 Chevy PU.
Saw the same set of circumstances a few times over my years. (24 at GM dealer) A couple of bikes too.

A cracked Y pipe on the present EG was the excuse for my D&D fat cats.

WP

Old 11-29-2015, 04:24 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Don't worry man,mine is going slow also, thank god I started early.
Still waiting on my heads and jugs and parts but it is giving me time to clean, prepare everything which is cool.
Plus getting my leaking tranny taken care of in between, more parts to order...

Quick Reply: Winter Project Came Early