UK and 27 tooth compensator

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 11:16 AM
antiseptic
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UK and 27 tooth compensator

Hi folks,
I have a 1995 FXD Dyna and I love it. 20 years old and still as sweet as a bird. Starts on the button every time and a lovely ride.

However... I've started doing fairly regular long distance rides to Ireland from the UK - some 380 miles.

I'd like to change the primary compensator sprocket to a 27 tooth (and longer chain) set-up to relax the engine just a little and drop my revs.

Does anyone know wherein the UK I can find one of these apart from the ludicrously expensive HD main dealer networks.

I can easily do the work myself but I just need to find a reliable supplier.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:38 PM
Lucky Luke
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How do the finances balance between a 'new comp sprocket and chain' versus a '30 T front pulley'?

Both will cost a ton (tonne) to send across the Atlantic, but it might still work out cheaper to buy one via Ebay in the US.

In both cases you can get OEM, better than OEM, e.g. Baker etc, and cheaper aftermarket like via Motorcycle Superstore in the EU.

What's your rear pulley, 70T? You've got another option which is to drop a few teeth to, say, 65 T which was the Swiss spec and the easiest to do. There are online gearing to rpm and belt length calculators to work out if your current belt will fit and what speeds we are talking about. However, I think the 70T uses a 133T belt and the 65T a 130T belt, and I don't know if that will kill your adjustment. May be ask in the Dyno forum too?

What rpm are you spinning at what speeds at present and does your bike have a little extra power to pull lower rpm?

There's also some chat, here, which raising another option ... selling the parts you already have, and going to a chain drive final drive and sprockets.

Last edited by Lucky Luke; 11-06-2015 at 09:48 PM.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:51 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

No need to make any changes old chap, just wear ear plugs! I had a new FXDXT and lowered the gearing from 25T to 21T and it was fine! Baker can supply the parts you need, if you decide to go ahead. However if you have never imported stuff from the USA contact me first, so I can explain the hidden costs.

Old 11-08-2015, 01:43 PM
antiseptic
2nd Gear

Thanks Lucky Luke for the advise.
I'm too damn lazy to change the belt pulleys because I don't want to have to also alter the speedo which is driven from the gearbox on my bike.
You are right. I've looked hard at the UK suppliers and again in the EU.
Purchasing direct from the US could be much cheaper as I have a couple of friends who would receive and forward my shipment as something like a 2nd hard spare at very much reduced value.
I'm pretty light (5'5" 12 stone), never ride two up and never pack the bike down with loads of luggage so I tend not to stretch the engine by any measure.

Old 11-08-2015, 01:50 PM
antiseptic
2nd Gear

Grbrown...
Its not the noise that I'm conscious of its the feel of the bike. It fees nice at around 2000 - 2500 on our UK roads to me.
I'm a miserable old git (58) who does not drive fast... just chugging along and enjoying the experience of that 1340 engine and sound.
I've had a couple of BMW's over the years and one topped 100K. I want to keep the engine wear down so I want to stay well below 3000rpm as I recon this will be my last bike.
Tell me about the hidden costs of importing from the US.
I have a couple of friends in the US who could recieve and forward the parts as used lower value items.

Old 11-08-2015, 02:25 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Exclamation

You're just a young whippersnapper (I'm 67!). You risk actually increasing engine wear by riding in the lower rev range. I visited a local Harley dealer for one of their open days a while ago and overheard a couple talking. He had a Road King, she had a Sporty. He was telling her off for changing down a gear, to overtake a car, instead of slogging past it in top. Some perverse logic there that doesn't add up!

You're slogging your engine by riding at 2,000-2,500 in top gear. If you raise gearing you will also increase engine load, if you intend riding in that rev range. Don't do it, there's a good chap!

And on the subject of ear plugs, do try a pair. I kid you not, they are the best tuning aid known to mankind. You will be more relaxed, your bike will be fine. I've been wearing them for 40 years.

Also don't be fooled by our import taxes. Any parcel sent to you will have to have a customs sticker on it with it's value declared, on which you will be charged duty and VAT (including on shipping charges), also you will have to pay a fee of around 8-12 pounds for collecting those taxes.

Last edited by grbrown; 11-08-2015 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:52 PM
Owtlaw
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

My bike is a lot happier between 3 and 3500 than between 2 and 2500. I wear earplugs too. I had a chance to spend a weekend with a bunch of IBA members..... Earplugs are a "thing" for any serious long distance rider. Reduces fatigue incredibly well.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:07 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Owtlaw
My bike is a lot happier between 3 and 3500 than between 2 and 2500. I wear earplugs too. I had a chance to spend a weekend with a bunch of IBA members..... Earplugs are a "thing" for any serious long distance rider. Reduces fatigue incredibly well.
I would have never guessed that!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-08-2015, 07:22 PM
Owtlaw
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
I would have never guessed that!!!!!!!!!!
Even the Gold Wing guys wear 'em, and all they can hear is wind noise.

Old 11-09-2015, 03:16 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Owtlaw
Thanks Owtlaw, I sometimes feel like a lone voice in this subject!

I've been wearing them since the mid-70s, when noise in the workplace was a hot topic, which spilled over into leisure activities as well. One of the US bike mags had an excellent article on the subject, unfortunately long before the internet.

Quick Reply: UK and 27 tooth compensator