EVO All Evo Model Discussion

I should be taking pictures : Winter odds and ends

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 04:47 PM
Lucky Luke
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
Luke, I'm looking around for a suitable lava-lamp, but it's not looking good...
Even better ...

Old 11-18-2015, 07:13 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 512 Likes on 444 Posts

Cool. That's what you have on yours? Can you post a pic?

My current thinking is to cut a piece of leftover plywood from my boat build, ease the edges and corners, wrap it with some high-end black vinyl, and then sandwich a piece of closed-cell foam behind it when I mount it. Or I might just fill the plywood with epoxy, sand it to a glass smooth finish, and paint it black. The nice part of this is the way the screw holes in the dash are positioned. My intention is to counter-sink the screw heads in the plywood, fill them in, and then use nuts from the other side to give an invisible mount setup.

Luke, I'm looking around for a suitable lava-lamp, but it's not looking good...

I have an old pull out radio in my bike and I can put the stock cover on to cover the hole.

Last edited by 14GuineaPig; 11-18-2015 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:17 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by 14GuineaPig
Harley did make a plastic cover for the radio hole. It was used on the 94 Police Electra Glide (I happen to have one that's how I know). It's #23 HD#76279-88
There are one or two websites dedicated to parts and accessories for Police Harleys. Might be worth seeking them out, to see if they can supply one of those, or something similar. Unless of course you want to show off your artistic side!

Old 11-19-2015, 06:20 PM
traildog
Extreme HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 352 Posts

Let me tell you about boring! I spent last night with a can of kerosene and a bunch of rags cleaning all the fiddly bits behind the saddlebags: Frame/swingarm/caliper/caliper mounting bracket/fender/etc. Finished it off with a coat of wax.

Not sure why I bothered, but it came out looking sweet, like brand new. Come spring, when I'm cruising down the road, I'll have that inner confidence that can only come from knowing the parts of the bike no one will ever see are positively gleaming.

I'm sooooo proud Omaha............

Old 11-20-2015, 04:29 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Oooohhhhh! Goody, goody!

Painter came by a little while ago and dropped off the batwing.

Holy crap, that thing looks GORGEOUS!

I'm going to have to double-down on the wax job on the rest of the tins to get them to match.

The most impressive thing about this is he managed to save the original pinstripes, and even shot clear over them. Looks absolutely stunning.

Old 11-20-2015, 06:34 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,698 Likes on 1,153 Posts

That Wooks Maarrvalous

WP

Old 11-24-2015, 10:45 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member

Learning a lot here.

Turns out the boating world has a system for rating the weatherproofness of stuff called the "IP" rating. The clock I ordered has an "IP67" rating. The 6 means "Protected from dust" and the 7 means "Protected against the effects of immersion in water to depth between 15 cm and 1 meter", which I am sincerely hoping is never put to the test on my bike. Still, it is comforting knowing that if I run this thing into a lake, the clock should still work.

Old 11-25-2015, 01:08 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member

Paugcho fishtail mufflers just came in. They look gorgeous.

Quite a bit skinnier than the stockers, so I'm hoping they don't end up being ridiculously loud. Probably won't matter. I love this look so much I'll put up with a lot.

These are supposed to be a direct fit without any extra brackets, and it looks like it will work. They are about 1/2" or so shorter from the inlet to the bracket, but there's enough play on the bike side of the bracket to accommodate that.

Should be able to get these on this weekend and fire them up!

Old 11-25-2015, 03:53 PM
Larry Ashcraft
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

My current thinking is to cut a piece of leftover plywood from my boat build, ease the edges and corners, wrap it with some high-end black vinyl, and then sandwich a piece of closed-cell foam behind it when I mount it. Or I might just fill the plywood with epoxy, sand it to a glass smooth finish, and paint it black. The nice part of this is the way the screw holes in the dash are positioned. My intention is to counter-sink the screw heads in the plywood, fill them in, and then use nuts from the other side to give an invisible mount setup.
I made some dash covers for my old truck from matte black engraver's plastic, and even engraved the switch positions in (it helps that I own a trophy shop). Trophy and sign shops local to you should have it or be able to get it. It comes in 1/16th or 1/8th thicknesses and is easy to cut (I use the 1/16th). Ask for UV stable material or it will degrade from sunlight.

BTW, that batwing is gorgeous!

Old 11-25-2015, 08:37 PM
Tony_N
Road Master
Received 252 Likes on 175 Posts

Beautiful batwing Omaha!

Quick Reply: I should be taking pictures : Winter odds and ends