EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Got bike apart need input *pics*

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 08:40 PM
byronk
Road Captain
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Got bike apart need input *pics*

Ok so as some know I was having a problem burning oil and started tearing the top end down for a rebuild. Well I didnt have any intention of pulling the lifters out or pulling the nose cone but........you know how that goes. Really I just had to know what was in there and condition of it before I take everything in to the machine shop. Turns out I have an Andrews EV46 cam, kinda a surprise really. I was thinking of using an EV13 to fit my riding style since we load the bike and ride two up alot of the time. How does the EV46 compare to the EV13? Also im attaching a couple of pics for some help. It has a plastic breather but thats not so much a concern as how rough the hole is the breather goes into, looks kinda tore up. Is this normal? I have an S&S bottom end and thought they used metal breathers? Maybe the metal one tore up that area and they switched it to plastic? Also I have the normal "slot" on the pinion gear but it also has a red dot, is this normal?

Old 11-17-2015, 09:06 PM
byronk
Road Captain

Also can someone tell me if this is the good cam bearing? Thanks.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:33 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by byronk
Also I have the normal "slot" on the pinion gear but it also has a red dot, is this normal?
The red dot is the size of your pinion gear.
Yes it's normal.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:34 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by byronk
Also can someone tell me if this is the good cam bearing? Thanks.

Yes that's the good one but I'd change it anyway since you are already there.
It's cheap and nothing lasts forever.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:06 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,809 Likes on 3,314 Posts

Sorry duplicate...Doh...

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 11-17-2015 at 10:17 PM. Reason: duplicate, please remove...
Old 11-17-2015, 10:08 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,809 Likes on 3,314 Posts

Did you do a compression or leak down test prior to tearing down the motor? What year and model bike and how many miles on it. I must say the cam chest look very clean, like not a hole lot of miles..Are you saying that those are S&S cases or just the crank? Also if you want to go to the ev13 cam you should figure out what your compression is before you do that because of the 10* difference in intake valve closing which will really increase your dynamic compression, so before you make the change figure it out or put it back together and do a compression test. As for the breather gear I think you'll be ok. I would think that the PO that made all the other changes and put the plastic oem gear in because it was scored or damaged leading to him rebuilding the motor. it sounds as if it was a complete rebuild. As for the torrington cam bearing it looks pretty good. What does the cam journal look like?

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 11-17-2015 at 10:16 PM.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:27 PM
byronk
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
Did you do a compression or leak down test prior to tearing down the motor? Are you saying that those are S&S cases or just the crank? Also if you want to go to the ev13 cam you should figure out what your compression is before you do that because of the 10* difference in intake valve closing which will really increase your dynamic compression, so before you make the change figure it out or put it back together and do a compression test. As for the breather gear I think you'll be ok. I would think that the PO that made all the other changes and put the plastic oem gear in because it was scored or damaged leading to him rebuilding the motor. it sounds as if it was a complete rebuild. As for the torrington cam bearing it looks pretty good. What does the cam journal look like?
Cam journal looks good. Bike only shows 13500 miles had 9000 I'm may when I bought it. Yeah it's a complete S&S bottom end. I called them and checked the #'s, stock bore and stroke when they sent it out in late 95. Tore down because I was using a quart of oil ever 800 miles or so, was running great though. Turns out I have some scoring on cylinders not sure about heads but having them gone through while there off. Top end seems stock with stock HD pistons and stock push rods. Bike has S&S carb with k&n intake, thunderheader and I just and I just added an Ultima ignition, had a compu fire that took a crap on me. Thanks for the help.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:00 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,684 Likes on 850 Posts

If your scared of that breather bore, it is a prime candidate for a S&S reed valve, ran one in a rough breather bore 89" for years with no oil slobbering problems

Old 11-18-2015, 12:09 AM
byronk
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 1997bagger
If your scared of that breather bore, it is a prime candidate for a S&S reed valve, ran one in a rough breather bore 89" for years with no oil slobbering problems
Been doing some searching on breathers tonight and I'm gonna look more into the reed valve. Does it matter that my bike is a bottom breather?

Old 11-18-2015, 06:32 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

What bike are you talking about? I checked your profile and all I saw was a 96 FatBoy. That's a top breather engine.

The EV46 would be a good cam for that bike, but if you wanted to go a bit lower in the rpm band, the EV13, EV23, or EV27 would be good selection in Andrews cams. I run the EV27 in my 93 FLHS and it did wonders for the overall performance of the engine. It works great solo or two up loaded to the hilt.

Here's the quick chart from Andrews:
http://www.andrewsproducts.com/sites...014-page13.pdf

Check into other cam manufacturers, as there are a few guys running cams from Woods and others.

Quick Reply: Got bike apart need input *pics*