EVO All Evo Model Discussion

What is the difference in the wiring between FLHR vs FLHT?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 06:06 PM
Ozark Joe
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts
Default What is the difference in the wiring between FLHR vs FLHT?

I think that I may have some wiring issues. So just looking at the wiring at the Road King and my Electra Glide. So is there a difference?

Old 11-21-2015, 06:15 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

What makes you think you have a problem with your wiring?

Old 11-21-2015, 06:21 PM
Ozark Joe
Road Warrior

Who ever removed the batwing faring with it gauges and replaced it with the single digital speedo did a hack job on the wiring. One day not to long ago,I decided to see why the accessory port wasn't working. So I pulled all the wiring behind the headlight and found that wires was cut off and not taped over. Today I decided to go to Walmart and it wouldn't start. I jiggled the wires in front and it fired up. So something behind the head light is shorting out.

Old 11-21-2015, 06:30 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Calamity Joe
So just looking at the wiring at the Road King and my Electra Glide. So is there a difference?
I can't speak to the RK, but i can tell you there is considerable difference between the 93 FLHS and the other model ElectraGlides of that year.

Get a factory service manual for your year bike, it will have the various wiring diagrams in the back.

Helpful tip: Take the FSM to FedEx Office or any place that has a copier capable of enlarging the diagrams. Make several copies of the ones you want to compare. That way you can use colored markers to trace circuits.

That's what I did to install a factory cruise control unit on my 93 FLHS (which was never available as an option) using a kit designed for the 93/94 FLHTC.

Old 11-21-2015, 06:35 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,547 Likes on 3,057 Posts

So you've got what was an FLT and somebody made it into a FLHR? That's what I did because the DOT pickup truck totaled me, I bought it back and bought economically feasible Road King stuff.

I figured out which wires were needed to run a Road King and crimped over and capped with shrink tubing those that weren't needed anymore. (There are more crimped wires in that nacelle than working wires today.)

To answer your question, it's the front wiring harness that clips to the main harness
that differs when they decide which bike they're building. There's one for dressers and one another for Road Kings. I used what I had because as a totaled motorcycle and I realize that it's only worth so much even when running down the road now.

Since you know that the short is in the headlight, you could tear it all out and install a RK harness, or you could pull it out from the nacelle and properly cap all those loose ends, many of which are hot (more than just the orange ones btw.) Mine, cobbled together as it is, has been rock solid reliable since I put her back together.

Old 11-21-2015, 07:23 PM
Ozark Joe
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Stiggy
So you've got what was an FLT and somebody made it into a FLHR? That's what I did because the DOT pickup truck totaled me, I bought it back and bought economically feasible Road King stuff.

I figured out which wires were needed to run a Road King and crimped over and capped with shrink tubing those that weren't needed anymore. (There are more crimped wires in that nacelle than working wires today.)

To answer your question, it's the front wiring harness that clips to the main harness
that differs when they decide which bike they're building. There's one for dressers and one another for Road Kings. I used what I had because as a totaled motorcycle and I realize that it's only worth so much even when running down the road now.

Since you know that the short is in the headlight, you could tear it all out and install a RK harness, or you could pull it out from the nacelle and properly cap all those loose ends, many of which are hot (more than just the orange ones btw.) Mine, cobbled together as it is, has been rock solid reliable since I put her back together.
The short isn't in the headlights themselves per se more like in the harness behind it. How do I cap those loose ends?

Old 11-21-2015, 08:38 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Calamity Joe
The short isn't in the headlights themselves per se more like in the harness behind it. How do I cap those loose ends?
I would use either a piece of heat shrink or some liquid electrical tape.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:05 PM
apples402
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
I would use either a piece of heat shrink or some liquid electrical tape.
+1 on this, plus I might try to isolate the wires from the active ones.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:22 PM
89FLHTC
Supporter
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

A custom shop did the same thing to my EG. Lots of the original wiring was unused so they capped the ends of the wires with some caps that crimp to the wire. Any parts house has them. Ive never had any electrical issues. Did they install a Dakota Digital speedo on yours? Thats what I have and I love it. I want the matching tach next.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:52 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,547 Likes on 3,057 Posts

Originally Posted by 89FLHTC
A custom shop did the same thing to my EG. Lots of the original wiring was unused so they capped the ends of the wires with some caps that crimp to the wire. Any parts house has them. Ive never had any electrical issues. Did they install a Dakota Digital speedo on yours? Thats what I have and I love it. I want the matching tach next.
I just rolled the end of a wire back on itself and slid the shrink tubing over the bend and shrunk it. It's not going anywhere.

I did the Dakota Digital too. Its a 1 7/8" diameter mini gauge sitting where the fork lock / ignition used to be.

Quick Reply: What is the difference in the wiring between FLHR vs FLHT?