EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Shovel wheel on EVO crank

Old 11-25-2015, 12:01 PM
procs
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shovel wheel on EVO crank

Longterm lurker, first time poster. I have a S&S 4 5/8 EVO stroker crank with along history involving 4 different parties having their hands into it and ithas never even ran. The last place this crank was is Dark Horse for a blueprintand balance and they did a very nice job. When I went to assemble in a case theretaining ring groove for the pinion bearing was partially covered by thebearing. I am only about 1 ˝ hours from Dark Horse so I ran the crank up there.After an hour of looking at this thing, comparing pinion shafts, looking insidewith mirror and flashlight for pinion part number they figured out that someoneswapped the pinion wheel out with a shovel wheel. Someone screwed up the EVOwheel along the way and changed it. John and Mark were great about this at darkHorse. They tore the crank apart, ground the center of the wheel for clearance,checked balance, reassembled and trued it for $66.00. The question I have aboutthis crank now is with a shovel wheel and shaft on it is the pinion gear timingcorrect? Is the keyway for the pinion gear in the correct position so the gearcase is timed correct because the keyways between the original shaft and theshovel shaft are in different positions? Any feedback would be appreciated. .

Old 11-25-2015, 04:41 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 430 Likes on 248 Posts

Only way you can be sure is to set the crank gear with its timing mark at the 12 o'clock and see how crank position compares with an Evo.....too much work been done to be sure without seeing it all moving.